Folding Rectangle Prawn Traps

tains

Crew Member
Any body using the folding rectangle prawn traps? I have tried twice now in the Bamfield area and got skunked twice.

Once upon a time I loved them traps along with the same crab trap with no doors. Both fished good. They can be $$$ at times other times they are the cheapest going. It all depend on your needs.

they have always worked fine for me,, the only problem i have had is they are not very durable after having them soak all winter. my pvc coated traps are still mint, no effects of sea rot.. (electrolisis) the hinge is made from stainless and the center bar is lead i believe, all my hinges rotted.

Any body using the folding rectangle prawn traps? I have tried twice now in the Bamfield area and got skunked twice.

Folding rect. prawn traps just don't cut the mustard! Just lent one(got for free) & a stackable rnd. to a buddy even after a overnite soak it wasn't worth the effort.The rnd. trap won hands down, i'm thinking one more try & it's going to be starring in the next garage sale or appearing on used Victoria.

I have found them to be poor producers. I fished 3 different styles all in the same hole and the folding rectangles consistently had way fewer prawns.

they have always worked fine for me,, the only problem i have had is they are not very durable after having them soak all winter. my pvc coated traps are still mint, no effects of sea rot.. (electrolisis) the hinge is made from stainless and the center bar is lead i believe, all my hinges rotted.
Stainless will not last as long as PVC coated wire mesh as long as you have aqua mesh, not the Chinese crap. Stainless traps break down and need diodes changed or they will not produce either.

Thanks, I have the round ones as well but to save space bought some folding ones. I have done well with the round so back to the round.

I've fished them a fair bit, including alongside stackables. Never really noticed any difference in production. But then, I'm not a prawn expert, and some of my comparisons have been made in very unique circumstances.

However, I have read that round traps definitely work better for crabs because crabs are not evolved enough to take sharp corners. But they can just follow the contour of a round one right into the tunnel, the trap, and my belly. Maybe prawns are just as dumb!

i used to use "Dependable" stacking traps-they produced ok but over time the netting wore and required all kinds of patches+ they took a bit to put together. I now use commercial stackables and am far happier with the results.

X2 with spring fever, I have a couple economy round and a couple commercial round and the commercial ones out fish the economy everytime and I think its due to the weight, the commie traps are alot heavier and maybe dont move as much, I do add a 10lb cannon ball to each line about 15' ahead of the traps But I think they still move some behind the ball in the currents, also the commies have a way smoother draw string and dont fetch up at all when releasing the bottoms like the econo's do

I use a square wire trap and it out catches the net ones by 30%. Downside is they don't nest so you need lots of room on you boat. Done by a commercial prawner here in Victoria.

I use a square wire trap and it out catches the net ones by 30%. Downside is they don't nest so you need lots of room on you boat. Done by a commercial prawner here in Victoria.

if they outfished the round commie style traps by a third , the commies would be using them.

These don't fold up. Big problem is they don't stack so they take up too much room for commercials. Give Larry Hesketh 250-478-3518 a call or summerbreezeaqua@shaw.ca

The problem with them square traps is they catch lots of small prawns..... If you want to kill off the stocks go ahead. No one seems to care anymore. Why not buy them from Prawnhunter for $65 I see he is back selling off all of the small prawns for a $ once again.

It's just stupid....

I chuck back small and ones carrying eggs. Use my old anchovies left over from summer. I just get what I need in fewer days and move on. Now prawn only a few days per year.

If you can find BC made folding rectangular traps they hold up much better than the offshore made models-they look almost identical though so look close ans ask questions.

If you want to throw down large then buy http://flexfoldtraps.com/

Larry Hesketh has them made up for himself.

Back