floods/ boat hazards

Well, we had the unprecedented extreme heat in early summer, a super long wildfire season, a tornado and record rainfall this fall. I’m starting to get worried about our winter now! :rolleyes::p
12 degrees in Kelowna today. Now there is an inch of snow up the hill where I live. Merritt and Princeton are going to be icy come morning I imagine.

It makes you question recreational properties. Constant smoke in the okanogan during the summer can’t be good for you. What will everything look like 15 years from now? Will we all have lung cancers? Will the cabin burn down every 10 years? Will it fall down the hill in a mud slide? Or do we just keep on with our usual way of life? It’s a weird problem that we face. I used to wonder why people live in places like New Orleans and get constant devastating hurricanes, but we aren’t too far behind from having regular disasters here in BC….

It makes you question recreational properties. Constant smoke in the okanogan during the summer can’t be good for you. What will everything look like 15 years from now? Will we all have lung cancers? Will the cabin burn down every 10 years? Will it fall down the hill in a mud slide? Or do we just keep on with our usual way of life? It’s a weird problem that we face. I used to wonder why people live in places like New Orleans and get constant devastating hurricanes, but we aren’t too far behind from having regular disasters here in BC….
All of this is really pushing me closer to going full blown bush-man and building a fully off grid home somewhere up the coast. If the 6 grandparents weren't all within a few kilometers of me I'd be gone already. I could care less about my siblings being close :rolleyes:

Some of the reasons we decided to build a boat included the points you raised, plus the cost of buying, and the difficulty being in one's senior years and facing a 6-10 hr drive to the cabin as one's night vision fades.

Just spoke with my buddy. He's heard that highway 1 in Chilliwack won't be open for two weeks. They are expecting to be stuck in Hope for two weeks. They were hunting so they have good tents that they are setting up at the high school which is now a shelter. Hope is going to run out of food and supplies soon as they are completely cut off. They will need to helicopter supplies in to feed the 6,000 residents plus the camp of pipeline workers.

If Duffy Lake road opens up first, he can go all the way around but it won't help him get home to Yarrow. Yarrow was just put on evacuation notice. But he could at least stay at my place for a while.

Absolute **** show. Sumas Lake is back, and it isn't draining.

Anything on the Vedder? Lots of places built on the flood plane.

we where at castle fun park last week with an engineer diagnosing drainage problems. Guess i dont need to send in the report now.
any lives lost through this flooding?

we where at castle fun park last week with an engineer diagnosing drainage problems. Guess i dont need to send in the report now.
any lives lost through this flooding?
multiple deaths on Duffy lake road. I haven’t heard much about the other slides

All of this is really pushing me closer to going full blown bush-man and building a fully off grid home somewhere up the coast. If the 6 grandparents weren't all within a few kilometers of me I'd be gone already. I could care less about my siblings being close :rolleyes:
HAH! Your wife ain't gonna let you live in the bush!

I was out in Howe sound yesterday and today prawning.

I’ve never seen so much floating logs, trees, and other wood as today. I wish I took a video.

be careful out there.
Even in the Gulf islands, tons of wood in the water. Had to pick my way slowly through lots of sections. Hard to convey on camera but logs everywhere.

Attachments

• PXL_20211116_231746092.jpg
    PXL_20211116_231746092.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Back