floods/ boat hazards

To them, with 2 young kids and after sleeping in a gym for a few nights, it seems like a bargain! They just want to get home safe, the car is done for anyway.

I wonder if the province is going to declare a state of emergency? Seems pretty dire and the valley needs all the help it can get.

ridiculous this is what the military should be providing for free

ridiculous this is what the military should be providing for free
Military waits until the Province asks for aid! . Likely they have ramped up a response ready to go, given their experience with floods in Manitoba as well as numerous national and international disaster responses. All it take is for BC to request aid, not sure why they’re waiting to do this?

what the heck could make a fire get going like that? amazing carnage!

I don’t think anyone in that sumas area is eligible for flood coverage. Certainly seems like a fire insurance Claim. But some news report said that wires were arcing out to the water and starting fires in lots of places

I count 4 bridges out on the Coquihalla in these pictures. Would not think it’s going to open anytime soon.
Hope Princeton is going to be really busy.

The fire along the Coldstream section of the Coq was burning on both sides of the road in the summer. It didn't get much attention since it avoided structures and the road only closed briefly. The next time I went through, it measured 45 kilometers long. Then when we went down at the end of October, parts were still burning. Surely the fire contributed to the blownout river, Coq damage near Larson Hill and the downstream damage in Merritt.
I was envious of a guy fishing a clear riffle on the Coq River near Othello in October. Part of the road is gone there I think.

The Coq structures are going to need re design with new engineering and Geotechnical. The river has changed course, in several places. They can't just truck in some precast bridge deck spans and drop them onto the original abutments. That section at Othello will require a big rethink, expect to see a year or more of all traffic funneled into a single lane each way on the northbound carriageway while they figure out how to rebuild the southbound side. At least being down low and relatively mild they can get some winter work done there. Get something working so that construction equipment and materials can be moved further up the canyon to the next repair site.

The Coq structures are going to need re design with new engineering and Geotechnical. The river has changed course, in several places. They can't just truck in some precast bridge deck spans and drop them onto the original abutments. That section at Othello will require a big rethink, expect to see a year or more of all traffic funneled into a single lane each way on the northbound carriageway while they figure out how to rebuild the southbound side. At least being down low and relatively mild they can get some winter work done there. Get something working so that construction equipment and materials can be moved further up the canyon to the next repair site.

All the road builders I know have record amounts of work already on the books for 2022 and lots of carryover from 2021.

Good update on why the lake is filling up, a dike is breached in two spots. Looks like they are going to build a few kilometre levy along the highway

All the road builders I know have record amounts of work already on the books for 2022 and lots of carryover from 2021.
Plus we already have three infrastructure mega projects in full swing already. Not exactly a ton of equipment sitting idle looking for a home either. I guess the TMX guys can help along the Hope sections for now since they're shut down temporarily, but that won't last long and they have their own major cleanup to do.

Repairs to B.C.’s Coquihalla Highway will take months, especially during winter: province​

'We are not out of this by a long shot': Up to 100mm of rain forecast for British Columbia​

Cleanup and recovery of property, livestock and infrastructure begins in British Columbia

Back