Fishing Vancouver Area

Pangaea

Hate to interrupt the endless stream of bad news with something positive, but here goes...

Yesterday, in an attempt to avoid the forecast gales (which didn't materialize) we headed to the shelter of Hole in the Wall and were rewarded with a fiesty 20# white. I took particular pleasure in catching it on an old, 6" Luhr Jensen brass/chrome needlefish which has been hanging in the boat for the past year untouched. As soon as I saw it in the water, I knew it was the one. Brought me right back to my childhood :) Fish was stuffed w/5" anchovies, though I didn't see any bait around...

Can't edit :(

Anyone else been having any luck?

quote:Nice! What tide were you on?

3 hours into the ebb. @99' in 150'

Thanks. I plan to get out for the fist time this year in the last half of the March so I'm starting to get salmon envy. :)

Fished of cap today wed got two around 12 pounds each and lost another I dropped my rod somehow ,so theres a salmon in front of the pink apartments towing a rod around, if you catch him the rods mine lol

quote:Originally posted by farny

Fished of cap today wed got two around 12 pounds each and lost another I dropped my rod somehow ,so theres a salmon in front of the pink apartments towing a rod around, if you catch him the rods mine lol

I was out there today as well, I fished around 75 ft with chovy, then had a downrigger explode..... ! What were you using? How deep?

I got all my hits at about 90 to 100 ft I have been out four times in a row with out anything ,so I changed tacticts I trolled faster and shortened up my leaders, and it seemed to really help,cause if was skunked again I was going to sell the boat

Good on ya, Farny! Funny how we sometimes get stuck in a rut...
quote:I changed tacticts I trolled faster and shortened up my leaders,
What did you change your leaders from/to? Chovies?

I spent a couple of hours off the apartments yesterday at the end of the flood. Felt fishy, but only one undersize... Bailed for Hole in the Wall after the high, but nothing there either.

How short are we talkin here? I usually keep mine at about 4ft and troll my flasher 40 ft off my cannonball....I have not hooked a fish in weeks!

I shortend the leader to about 20inches and ran the flasher about 10 feet back from the ball I was doing the same thing for weeks also 36 leader 25 feet back from the ball

There have been 10 keepers/day being pulled out of the English Bay for over a month now if you know where to look. I've heard from a local guide who says that 4 boats are regularly getting into fish.

That's why I chartered, I wanted to see the "hot spots".

West Van away from the Cap Mouth and the middle of the bay south of the QB.

We were fishing 4 rods with flashers and spoons on a 5.5 foot leader. There's good quality to be had!

I learned a lot!

[:p]

I have been fishing that area the whole time I run spoons also with no luck to speak of coyotes and tom mack with 6ft leader, but for me I really think speeding up the troll is what made the difference

Sweet, I am gonna try out there tomorrow using a short leader and a long leader both trolled at different lengths from the ball. I will post the results tommorow......

I had the hits on anchovy, and i tried hoochies green and tom macks

quote:Originally posted by farny

I had the hits on anchovy, and i tried hoochies green and tom macks

Farny, the guide I was fishing with had his spoons on a 5.5 to 6 (50 inches) foot leader. He was using 2 green glows Coyotes in the 4.0 on the one side and 2 Army Truck Coyotes 4.0 on the other side behind flashers about 15 feet of the rigger. The best depth for us was 85 feet. Shallowest was 60 and deepest was 110 feet. He was trolling at about 2.2 mph according to my GPS.

Check out this latest report...

MUST GO FISHING>>>>>

Bon Chovy Fishing Charters Report March 03/08
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Downtown Vancouver Report

The local saltwater salmon fishing has remained consistent. You have to work for your bites at times, but persistence usually pays off with some decent hook-ups. There is not as much bait in the harbour as there has been in recent weeks, but there are still fish around feeding on the scattered bait balls.

We have continued to have our success working the bottom contours of West Vancouver. We have been hooking from 3-6 winter chinook salmon in the 5-16 pound range per charter. The ratio of keepers to undersize is pretty close to 1:1. We have been having most of our success on coyote spoons from 80-120 feet on the downriggers. The seals have been a bit challenging on certain days as well.

There have been some decent reports of fish coming from Spanish Banks, the outer harbour, and the backside of Bowen Island this week as well.

Crabbing has been productive in English Bay and we are dropping traps on every charter! Call us and ask about our great winter rates!

Good Luck

Jeff/Jason
www.bonchovy.com

Report to moderator Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bon Chovy Fishing Charters

Office Telephone: 1-604-763-5460 Call today to book your charter

Vancouver BC Salmon Fishing www.bonchovy.com

I was out again today and I got skunked!!! Fished from 8am to 6pm and not even a bite. I tried everything and everywhere! Must not have been my lucky day.

Back