Fishing the surface

Lots of cut plug method is still 6-8 ounce weights and X amount of pulls, but you do need to get to where the fish are.

Sounds like you've never used a Deep Six-I have for decades and never fished a lure more than 6' back there's no handlining involved at all.

Even a a flasher only needs to be 4' back and a hootchie only adds another 32" or so.
I was told many years ago (maybe 50 yrs.) to use the Deep six back from the lure at least 10-15'..... If they can be fished at 6' that's a whole new
ball of wax and I may try it the next time I'm out on the ocean. Learn something new every day..... Thanks

Sounds like you've never used a Deep Six-I have for decades and never fished a lure more than 6' back there's no handlining involved at all.

Even a a flasher only needs to be 4' back and a hootchie only adds another 32" or so.

I grew up trolling with deep 6’s. Never did we have a leader longer than the length of the rod. Typical lengths were around 5-7’. A fresh cut plug was deadly !! We mostly used deep 6’s where we needed to get deeper than we could with slip weights.

I’m assuming the transom has a back railing? About about mounting a couple of the stainless clamp on holders vertically and sliding a hand crank rigger into one of those with a pin drilled in to lock it in place. Pretty easy and effective, no drilling or wiring required into the boat itself and most of the parts can be had for cheap between marketplace and Amazon. If you spend anytime near secret cove there’s always the live bait option from bucaneer bucket of herring banana weight doesn’t get much easier or fun..

I hear what you are saying, but the cap rails on this boat are so nice (and I am determined as its now new owner to maintain them as is) I don't want anything drilled into them. Husband suggested having custom stainless brackets for downriggers made to put on the actual transom which would be a compromise and may be what we will end up doing. But he used to fish all of the time as a kid with his parents before downriggers were on the scene and they always caught stuff, so I wanted to get some insight from all of you on this and this is why I love this forum - the wealth of knowledge is fantastic. Stizzla, I have attached a photo showing the cap rails and condition - I really love the look of this boat and it took us a long time to find it, so don't want to start mucking around a lot with the outside of it too much, at least to start with.......I am still totally in the honeymoon period with it!
Nice bright work!
You may want to consider a Scotty 1025 side mount. The mounting plate could go under the cap rail and a piece of foam could be inserted between the cap rail and mounting plate.
my 2 cents
Stosh

I grew up trolling with deep 6’s. Never did we have a leader longer than the length of the rod. Typical lengths were around 5-7’. A fresh cut plug was deadly !! We mostly used deep 6’s where we needed to get deeper than we could with slip weights.
I've caught plenty off a center rod with one of my standard 6'-6" leaders right off the deep six with a spoon

All of this info and ideas are great, thank you all so much. Going to be adding some deep six to the tackle box for sure. Actually, now I am starting to really look forward to this upcoming season and trying this out. I currenly have a bit of a pissed off husband that I referred to the boat as "my boat"........then he went off grumbling something about this is why you don't get your wife involved with your fishing/boating hobby........LMAO.🤣

All of this info and ideas are great, thank you all so much. Going to be adding some deep six to the tackle box for sure. Actually, now I am starting to really look forward to this upcoming season and trying this out. I currenly have a bit of a pissed off husband that I referred to the boat as "my boat"........then he went off grumbling something about this is why you don't get your wife involved with your fishing/boating hobby........LMAO.🤣

Ha! i remember when my wife first started fishing with me. She would be on her phone, not at all interested. Her rod would be going off and i would be yelling at her like a madman. I quickly learned that’s a no no! Then she got the bug and now she tells me “let’s go fishing” I made the mistake of showing her a pink islander at a local store. she bought it without seeing the sticker haha.

Anyways she outfishes me now and i’m very bitter about it!

Attachments

• CD253A36-2E88-4851-AB0A-C94038869E2C.jpeg
    CD253A36-2E88-4851-AB0A-C94038869E2C.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 139
  • CF3F385C-2256-4A92-97DB-B7C0FB2F7EC3.jpeg
    CF3F385C-2256-4A92-97DB-B7C0FB2F7EC3.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 137
I'm a bit biased, but a bucktail on the surface catches coho regularly. the deep-6 or dipsy diver works well and I use regularly. Small weight works. Lots of ways to troll and catch fish without downriggers depending on WHERE you fish.

HB

Ha! i remember when my wife first started fishing with me. She would be on her phone, not at all interested. Her rod would be going off and i would be yelling at her like a madman. I quickly learned that’s a no no! Then she got the bug and now she tells me “let’s go fishing” I made the mistake of showing her a pink islander at a local store. she bought it without seeing the sticker haha.

Anyways she outfishes me now and i’m very bitter about it!
Good for her!! With all of my previous kidding aside, I started out with little to no interest - didn't take long before I got the bug. Here is a picture of my very first big catch when we had our 16 foot DE - that was when it really started it for me. From there on it was woo hoo when can we get out next! Making memories and experiences of a lifetime. Just have to keep working to pay for them😁

Attachments

• spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 92
I'm a bit biased, but a bucktail on the surface catches coho regularly. the deep-6 or dipsy diver works well and I use regularly. Small weight works. Lots of ways to troll and catch fish without downriggers depending on WHERE you fish.

HB
You’re entitled to be biased cause the grand slam bucktails are always one of my summer go to lures for chinook.
Now if you could make a green and white version with exclusively glow fibers I would use it down deep for the rest of the year too! And would be happy to pay double for it.
For coho I use a jet diver 30 in front of a bucktail or spoon. Pulls your gear down below the prop wash about 10’ then floats to the top if you stop.

You’re entitled to be biased cause the grand slam bucktails are always one of my summer go to lures for chinook.
Now if you could make a green and white version with exclusively glow fibers I would use it down deep for the rest of the year too! And would be happy to pay double for it.
For coho I use a jet diver 30 in front of a bucktail or spoon. Pulls your gear down below the prop wash about 10’ then floats to the top if you stop.
Great idea. What size would you like and I'll see what I can do.

HB

No weight and actually skip the fly out of the water occasionally, fly rod or light spinning rod - such a blast back in the days when we had lots of coho in our Campbell River area.
man…that was such an amazing fishery…herring strip teaser heads and 6oz weights. so simple and so fun

You can fish down to 80ish feet with divers and planer boards. No need for downriggers at all. In fact, I catch way more fish on divers and planer boards then downriggers.

Two things. One, you don't need a long lead on your diver in the Ocean. I fish the great lakes and run 100 foot leads behind the downrigger but routinely run 8-10 foot leads behind my diver. If I ran 15-25 foot leads behind the downrigger like most Ocean fisherman do I wouldn't catch fish. The diver rod is my most productive rod (by far). Two, forget the deep six and buy either a dreamweaver diver or a dipsey diver. Size one Dipsey with Braid will get you down to 50-60 feet. Magnum dipsey will get you down to 80. Dreamweaver has similar sizes that get to the same depths. These divers have weights you can move so they plane to the side of the boat (instead of just straight down like a deep 6). This side planeing gives your bait erratic up and down action when you turn. This produces more fish. You'll catch way more fish when fishing a dipsy on a 2 or 3 setting then on a 0 setting (straight down)

Having these divers that will plane to the side helps you catch more fish and gives you the option of running more lines. I fish out of an 18 foot boat and run 12 lines, 4 of which are divers. On a larger boat you can easily run 6 divers and not have any tangle issues, even with strong tides.

Another option is planer boards. I use offshore OR12 boards with snap weights. With an OR 12 you can use up to 4 ounces of weight that will get you approximately 35-40 feet down with 100 feet of line out past the snap weight. I have 1-4 ounce weights to cover anywhere from 7 feet down to 40. The more or less line you let out after the weight, before you attach the board, affects your depth. The weights are attached with an OR16 clip. When you catch a fish you just unclip the weight when it comes to the boat. I usually let out the lure, 30 feet of line, then clip the weight on. The OR12 will handle spoons, small dodgers, plugs, brads super cut plugs with fish flash, but not 8 inch or larger flashers.

If you want to run 8 inch or larger flashers, or get deeper than 40 feet offshore sells a magnum board or you can go with a Ziggy copper board. Those boards will hold up to 10 ounces of weight, and with that much weight, you can get down to 60-70 feet.

Back