fishing slang definitions

This may seem stupid but as a somewhat novice to salt water fishing, I need some definitions for some words/abbreviations that Merriam Webster doesn't feel are important enough to put in their dictionary: chicken (doubt you guys mean the poultry), c and r, and line creep. Feel free to ask other words you don't know the meaning of, maybe this can become a little fishing dictionary! :p

Chicken: small halibut, C and R: catch and release, Line creep: Drag slip on a single action reel while trolling

...chowder head as in chowdered it...:p

I always thought that chowdered was when you failed with the suitcase shot

Got one coming your way: please steer away from me I have a good one out your way.

Blowing It- When the guy with the fish on may or may not be doing a good job= added pressure

Blew It- Fish is now gone at this point, you realize you might not of wanted to of told your buddy he was Blowing It

Soon he may tell you to Blow It.........

Barely legal: very small springs
feeders: not spawning this year, usually less than 10 lbs.
up top: top 50 feet
midwater: halfway down or half way up...

What's it called when a persons knuckles get bashed up from a knuckle buster?

Greenie: when a boats nose goes into a wave so deep a green amount of water 1 or 2 feet or more goes over the windshield.

On way tacks, fishing with it: trolling with the wind and with the wind only because it's the only direction you can troll while maintaining any control.

I'm bored and stuck in AB in minus 20C with dead batteries. Sigh....

Back