This will have a real effect on fishing and hunting.

Its called selective History. We wouldn't want anyone to know that the Haidas were slavers and savages......That just wouldn't be convenient in court.(sarcasm) Much better to only look at one side of the coin with the British and the other FN's. Unfortunately for all native BC'ers (anyone born here) the province is no longer yours, it now belongs to 3% of the population

3%? How do you figure that? This is one territory. Did you read the court ruling? If a decision is deemed to be in the best interest of the citizens, economically and socially, it will trump native land claims. Don't worry all you conspiracy theorist, FN scepticals, you will still be able to harvest fish and get some bear sausage processed.

i sincerely hope your first nations are better stuarts of what they have been granted than the tribes of WA state. down this way, these folks are all about green backs and raping the resources. hopefully your indigenous peoples can look south and learn something about how not to behave.
Unfortunately, I don't think it will be any different up here.At least from what I've seen with the local tribes and all the others
that I had the experience of working beside in my previous occupation throughout B.C.And I especially don't trust them
with the decision of the Northern Gateway Pipeline.I believe if enough "greenbacks" get tossed at them,they'll let it go
through,no questions asked!

So I guess you would just let it go that a your children were removed from you and put in residential schools being treated worse than an animals, raped, starved, beaten? You would forget that your were treated like savages? I guess we should all forgive Hitler too for what he did, its the past.
I may not agree with what they are asking for as I do not know all the issues, but an ignorant statement because you may have limited access to an area for recreation! I guess being removed from your home and being placed on a reserve is nothing compared to losing a hunting area, or having to request permission to hunt an area.

Maybe do a google search on residential schools, or read some of the history on how the natives in Canada were treated. Ya they have an f-you attitude, wouldn't you?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/a-history-of-residential-schools-in-canada-1.702280

or try reading " the history of the county of Peterborough, Ontario"

The funny thing is that, what our government doing today in regards to our land, pipelines, salmon farming, mines... is because they KNOW better, just like they did back then. History has a way of repeating itself.

BTW I am not native

We need to stop bring up the past, what happened happened. Move on. Those who print the media sell what people want to read and our morbid fashination with the bad that happens to people brought it to the front. It was terrible what happened and those who caused it should be responsible, including the Church, who seem to be slipping below the radar on this one, but to keep bringing it up everytime something does not go their way is wrong.

In your way of thinking, we should also be handing out land and $$$ to the Japanese who lost everything in WWII. But they sucked it up, moved on and made a better life for themselves, instead of moping around crying about what happened in the past and looking for free handouts. MOVE ON!!!!

3%? How do you figure that? This is one territory. Did you read the court ruling? If a decision is deemed to be in the best interest of the citizens, economically and socially, it will trump native land claims. Don't worry all you conspiracy theorist, FN scepticals, you will still be able to harvest fish and get some bear sausage processed.

And what will that cost us?? Everytime that decision is brought in, the indians will go to court to fight it at our cost.....just like any other time something did not go their way.

My children are what I am more worried for.

Time will tell if we are Chicken Little or barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers

SS

Last edited by a moderator:
In your way of thinking, we should be handing out land and $$$ to the Japanese who lost everything in WWII. But they sucked it up, moved on and made a better life for themselves, instead of moping around crying about what happened in the past and looking for free handouts

You can't compare Japanese immigrants to First Nations. Christ, that's History 12, maybe you missed that unit?

And by the way, we are still apologizing to the Japanese

Free handouts for too long inspire nothing. Entitlement for the sake of skin colour or race is wrong and is discrimination in itself. How long is this going to go on ........ This is the start of a complete gong show for the future of BC and Canada ....... One rule one law for all get over it and move on ....... ***** the way this is going all hunting and fishing licenses if we are so privileged to have them will be purchased from the F/N ........ A few years back the bands throughout the province were claiming 115 percent of Bc land mass. If ya loose a war you adapt to the new rule ....... That has never happened. The pots continue to get bigger and bigger yet it's never enough ........ It will never end, ONE RULE AND ONE LAW FOR ALL

In October 2013, British Columbia had an estimated population of 4,606,371 (about 2.5 million of whom were in Greater Vancouver).Best stats for Abbies I could find was 2006.

Population
British Columbia2006
Total

Aboriginal196,075
North American Indian129,580
Métis59,445

<tbody>
</tbody>

Math = 129580 North American Indians (Metis have no land claim in B.C.) divided by population of BC (October 2013)x 100 = 2.813287% I thought I would round it up just to be conservative and make it simple for you.................

Hide your head in the sand if you want to, BGM. I have no conspiracy theories, this is not a conspiracy, it is our court system taking the birth right of the vast majority of British Columbians and giving it to LESS THAN 3% of its citizens. If you really believe that this will have no future impact on the rest of the province, your naivete is worse than I imagined.

Free handouts for too long inspire nothing. Entitlement for the sake of skin colour or race is wrong and is discrimination in itself. How long is this going to go on ........ This is the start of a complete gong show for the future of BC and Canada ....... One rule one law for all get over it and move on ....... ***** the way this is going all hunting and fishing licenses if we are so privileged to have them will be purchased from the F/N ........ A few years back the bands throughout the province were claiming 115 percent of Bc land mass. If ya loose a war you adapt to the new rule ....... That has never happened. The pots continue to get bigger and bigger yet it's never enough ........ It will never end, ONE RULE AND ONE LAW FOR ALL
X2 high tide.Couldn't have said it better.And your absolutely right,it will never end as long as the handouts continue.
They have no reason to change or adapt.We've enabled them long enough.Time for"tough love".

X3 I have to agree with this also...

X2 high tide.Couldn't have said it better.And your absolutely right,it will never end as long as the handouts continue.
They have no reason to change or adapt.We've enabled them long enough.Time for"tough love".

And for the record,I'm no bigot.I have many native friends that I grew up with here on the island,most of which have
good jobs and fit in to our modern society.As I said before,if it were a matter of them wanting equality I'd be all for
it and even support their cause,but that is just not the case here.

my late grandfather was native. (all 6'4 of him..) owned his own business, (pipe welder on the oil rigs) own home off the reserve, raised 3 children, and owned a productive fab fab shop employing quite a few people back in his day. pretty amazing person. never took advantage of what he could have... and neither did his kids....

my late grandfather was native. (all 6'4 of him..) owned his own business, (pipe welder on the oil rigs) own home off the reserve, raised 3 children, and owned a productive fab fab shop employing quite a few people back in his day. pretty amazing person. never took advantage of what he could have... and neither did his kids....
And there are many just like your grandfather out there that could care less about the past and the handouts. By doing this he passed down his good work ethics and positive attitude to his children.And so ends the
viscious cycle of self pity and dependence that so many are trapped in.By doing what he did,he changed not only the course of his own life,but of the future generations of his to come.Your grandfather sounds like he was quite a man.

Back