Fishing license abusers??

Deewar25

Was bought to my attention something I didn't even realize, but was so obvious. With the ability now to purchase your license online, what is stopping you from then doing multiple copies, and filling them up over and over with chinook & lings? Nothing....and while I hope most fishermen are honest, we all know damn well that we don't ALL work on the honor system and people 'could' totally abuse what looks to be a major oversight in what was supposed to be an improvement in the system.

Thoughts?

Seems to me the ONLY way this could possibly work is if you hire another couple 100 officers with handheld computer databases, and document catch records at marinas far more often with # and date so you can cross reference next time that person pops up.

Am I missing something?

There are alot of dishonest fisherman out there and they think that way because they feel

"I am only out here 4 times this month so I am taking everything I can attitude"

There is a fellow who is out there almost every day during the summer and he fishes mostly by himself and I do see him get fish it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out and he fishes otter pt only it seems.

Wolf

I do know that fisheries keeps a data base of offenders, they record K numbers names and such, so reporting offences with this info does help at the very least they are entered into the data base as potenial offenders.

I understand the concern but in reality how many people kill 30 Springs in a year anyway?

As to Lings that's for the Strait of Georgia with it's short openings.

Just another way it can be abused - not saying it would amount to huge loss, and yes, us 'weekend' folks would rarely ever see that filled up (personally don't think i've even hit double digits, but I'm not great fisher), but there are lots out there fishing most days a week, and don't forget the winter season as well.

I could see most likely abusers there - finish their license up in the summer, chuck it for the winter season and run it up again. Don't forget this is everywhere, not just say Sooke...how about those locales further north where u can't keep springs off the line???

I bought my licence online, and this was the first thing I thought about after the process, that it could be abused.

Not sure how to protect the system from this, but maybe if a licence is purchased online, it should be mandatory to have it stamped at a Service Canada center every three months or something. That way any licence without it's mandatory stamps would be null and void until the fisherman does so.

Don't know if that would work, and maybe there is a better way to do it, I'm just thinking out loud, but I do see this online licence subject to abuse by some.

You want to protect your fishery from over harvest - start by looking at you biggest harvesters by group.

Commercial fishing, while adhering to leagal limits 99.9% of the time, take way more fish in a day than all of the poacher's illegal take combined.

I not saying your point isn't valid but to what end?

My understanding of catch limits to conserve the fishery. In the name of conservation, why not focus on reduced take by commercials? Then chase after known habitat distroyers, then chase those that continue to over harvest salmon food chain members like herring and pilchards. After that, I would tackle dams and logging practises that further compromise salmon population health and habitat.

Funny thing about BC fishing regs is that they appear to harder on the sport anglers than the commercial industry that created this whole mess to begin with.

Oh yea, and the current license process... is a big fat loop hole waiting to be exploited. Seems crazy to me but I am sure they thought of that when they changed to the current system. Maybe their going forward with the current system is an quite admission that sport anglers are not really a significant contributer to the problem with Salmon population health.

Sorry for the side bar, just hoping to create some dialog about the real threats to salmon health.

quote:Originally posted by 5-Salt Fever

You want to protect your fishery from over harvest - start by looking at you biggest harvesters by group.

Commercial fishing, while adhering to leagal limits 99.9% of the time, take way more fish in a day than all of the poacher's illegal take combined.

I not saying your point isn't valid but to what end?

My understanding of catch limits to conserve the fishery. In the name of conservation, why not focus on reduced take by commercials? Then chase after known habitat distroyers, then chase those that continue to over harvest salmon food chain members like herring and pilchards. After that, I would tackle dams and logging practises that further compromise salmon population health and habitat.

Funny thing about BC fishing regs is that they appear to harder on the sport anglers than the commercial industry that created this whole mess to begin with.

Oh yea, and the current license process... is a big fat loop hole waiting to be exploited. Seems crazy to me but I am sure they thought of that when they changed to the current system. Maybe their going forward with the current system is an quite admission that sport anglers are not really a significant contributer to the problem with Salmon population health.

Sorry for the side bar, just hoping to create some dialog about the real threats to salmon health.

Are you kidding? Everyone has to do their part. Commercial salmon fishers that target coho and chinook (i.e. trollers) have been so heavily restricted in the past 5-8 years that only a very small proportion of the fleet still fishes. Many of these fishers also spend considerable time chasing other species (e.g tuna) so even less effort is directed at salmon.

I think if this did become a problem the solution would be to have an online registry of your catch. You would have say 1 week to enter your catch via online or phone. that way if a CO checks your license and it does not match what you entered online you will have a problem.

quote:

Are you kidding? Everyone has to do their part. Commercial salmon fishers that target coho and chinook (i.e. trollers) have been so heavily restricted in the past 5-8 years that only a very small proportion of the fleet still fishes. Many of these fishers also spend considerable time chasing other species (e.g tuna) so even less effort is directed at salmon.

I agree 100% but the those items I listed still have a far greater impact on salmon stocks then sport angled poachers. Sport and commy alike have seen their take reduced dramatically but still we have the continued decline of the species.

I'm not advocating poaching, simply pointing the spot light at those factors the have a far greater impact.

quote:Originally posted by paramedic

I think if this did become a problem the solution would be to have an online registry of your catch. You would have say 1 week to enter your catch via online or phone. that way if a CO checks your license and it does not match what you entered online you will have a problem.

It is a problem already...it just got a whole lot easier to avoid prosecution.

How/who would regulate and cross check license vs online record? My guess is the DFO was looking to lower costs with the new system. Setting up addional enforcement and computer systems would seem to counter to that and be pretty darn hard to enforce.

Even if cost wasn't the issue, how would the officer be able to check the online records while performing a field inspection?

I hate to say it but the old system with added requirement for anglers to apply to a regional fisheries office for a replacement harvest card is about as good as it gets. We have the same issue here in Oregon and we can purchase unlimited hatchery salom harvest card at $10.00 each. Funny thing is...90% of chinook harvested in Oregon are not hatchery fish and we all can think of at least 4-5 guys who whack way more than the annual 20 limit.

Tough problem with no easy solutions just the same your creativity is to be commended.

Well I probably would never have thought about it. Along with alot of people who just read this and think it a good idea??

Well said '5 salt'!!
It's all about money anyway. The licence system is simply about bringing in more tax money anyway. Most of the money goes into general revenue never to be seen again.
We're already regulated to death and yet it seems that we, 'as sportsfishermen' want to subject ourselves to more silly rules and regulations. Enough already!

Have to say that living in a remote community where most of our guests decide "last minute" to go fishing, due to having the time and the fishing being good while they are here, that the capability to print day licences is a godsend. Our one store that sells licences is often "out" of them which used to cause no end of hassle and dissapointment. The new system is excellent!!!

If they do anything, they should make annual licences purchasable only in person while the day licences remain available online...

I would guess that most of the people that crab in the area that I do don't have a license. Most of them have little row boats or tin cans (like me) and throw the trap out on a whim. Ask me things like "why did you throw back all those crab?"...... I let them know about limits and the regs and they look at me like I'm crazy! hahaha

this is a rediculous post. Noone's gonna use 30 chinooks in one year, and if theyre sellin them they wont record most of them anyway..... come on, get real.

Well if it is a problem than why not stop the online printout option? They could just mail you a licence out once you paid for it online.

Back