Fishing in a derby - what rules do you play by?

trendsetter

With all the derbys coming up I thought I'd poll the forum and see what rules the majority play by when fishing in a derby.

Does everyone get their own rod and fish that one exclusively?

Do you run a round-robin where each person takes the hits in order (you get first hit, you get next, etc etc).

Is it a first man to the rod takes the fish regardless of who's rod it is?

Do you each get the prize your ticket and fish won or do you split everything?

Does the boat owner keep all the prizes? Do you split the cash prizes?

Curious how you all do it. My preference when derby fishing with experienced anglers is: everyone fishes their own rod and gear, all cash prizes split evenly amongst everyone and all individual prizes go to the individual fisher/ticket holder.

Cheers.

I won a derby last year, 1000 bucks. I counted out 500 bucks right there when it was presented to me and handed it to my partner for the event.
Later a lot of people told me they were shocked I did that. Most said they'd have paid his entry fee or gave him 100 bucks.
I think you split the prizes in the boat if everyone is sharing the costs.

I won a derby last year, 1000 bucks. I counted out 500 bucks right there when it was presented to me and handed it to my partner for the event.
Later a lot of people told me they were shocked I did that. Most said they'd have paid his entry fee or gave him 100 bucks.

Nicely done, class act for sure! Curious, did you each run your own rods or did the winner just happen to be on the rod you grabbed first?

Yup....that's how I would play too. :cool:

Whatever you do agree BEFORE the big one comes on board. I like to split cash or other large prizes and keep smaller individual stuff (say value $500 or less). Not that we've ever had anything to split.

However if I was taking a non boat owner or guy I never fish with out i'd seriously consider saying prize split 3 ways, you me and the boats share. With guys I fish in their boat and they fish in mine 50/50.

Shared costs for the day or trip means shared fish and or derby prizes in my boat. Split the cash we won up at shuswap this weekend and I was lucky enough to get the scotty gear as my fishing partner doesnt have a boat at the moment.

take the boat costs out(fuel) and split the remaining cash,
individual prizes are just that and stay with the individual

Depends on the rules for the derby and the DFO regulations.

Expenses should be shared and/ or reimbursed, for sure.

IE. If Angler A enters the derby, and Anglers B,C and D are on board, the Angler who played and landed the prize fish gets the money unless agreed otherwise.

If the angler puts the fish on his license, he owns the fish and therefore the prize. Goodwill on the part of the winning angler is to give away any of the prize money.

Many a disagreement and friendship is at stake when money comes into play, especially big money.

I personally have been involved in such conflicts and given an opportunity to do it all over again, I would ensure that the rules and agreements are fixed prior to fishing and when I participate in another, I alone will be the sole entrant, otherwise, everyone else can pay their own way.

Just my 2 cents which aren't worth SFA and with the cost of living increase, fees, taxes and service charges, it's really just half a cent.

IMHO only the person who catches the fish and has entered the derby can enter the fish!

All the others who have not paid an entry fee cannot enter a fish for the derby. .......BB

Everyone says "your fish your prize.". but if your fish is first place and you win 1000 bucks and your buddy wins a flasher n spoon.. you would probably look like quite a heel if you didn't split the cash.. good on you trendsetter for providing a good example... your fish your prize.. unless it is a cash prize I say...honestly is it worth loosing a fishing buddy over?

Split the cash evenly, life's too short to be greedy. Sharing with buds is what it's all about IMO.

I like to keep it simple. Cash prizes are split evenly. Usually takes more than one person to land a big fish. Material prizes go to the guy that reeled in the fish. And every man has his own rod. And if you sit there arguing about stipulations, your not having fun. I look forward to the derby and the excitement of everybody out there bright and early. A prize is a bonus. Looking forward to the silva bay derby!

When I guided the same guys in the original JDF derby I didn't play any fish unless the guys had limited out or we had multiple fish on at once. The two guys just took turns and it didn't matter which rod went off. If we had of won the first place cash it would have been an even split with the person who caught it going up and getting all the glory. Merchandise prizes went to the person who caught the fish.

It takes more than a guy reeling to catch a fish , net guy, driver guy, beer holder guy . Prize is (if # 1,2,3 split evenly)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

split evening as its a TEAM effort never had a problem.
when we won stuff it had to be in the top 20 the if the guy wanted to keep it just bought the others out or sold and split up , then one of the guys said well it should be 4 ways now???all confused?? we said "ok" why???? well there is 3 of us but the boat is what gets us out there and get us the fish it should have a cut as well so the boat got an upgrade or something it needed one year it was rocket launcher/radar arch next it was the radar.
Fishing is supposed to be fun share and split up the prize pool BUT do all of this AHEAD of time as afterwards it does create bitterness and sometimes law suits.....

I like to keep it simple. Cash prizes are split evenly. Usually takes more than one person to land a big fish. Material prizes go to the guy that reeled in the fish. And every man has his own rod. And if you sit there arguing about stipulations, your not having fun. I look forward to the derby and the excitement of everybody out there bright and early. A prize is a bonus. Looking forward to the silva bay derby!

Exactly the same as in my boat

Back