Fishing halted on the Cowichan River

Finally some common sense from the Cowichan Tribes.Went for a walk down below the Silver Bridge this morning
with my polarized lenses.In the deep hole that the natives have been jiggin' and spearin' up a storm I saw to my great
jubilation, a pile of springs just milling around in the shady section of the pool. I'd say at least 75-100 of them in total.
Now if the pit lampers will just leave them alone,we may salvage some sort of run this year!

"However, the CVRD is worried about the financial implications of applying for a water-storage licence."

Maybe if they wernt putting this stupid dirt dike in through town costing millions they would have lots of money. Who runs this town? :mad:

IDIOTS! ELECTED FROM DISTRICTS LIKE LADYSMITH etc. THAT HAVE NO VESTED INTEREST!

"However, the CVRD is worried about the financial implications of applying for a water-storage licence."

Maybe if they wernt putting this stupid dirt dike in through town costing millions they would have lots of money. Who runs this town? :mad:

i just have to ask - if the band chief states that the FN will not fish any longer, do the band members jump on board with this right away, or what are the actual numbers of folks still out there netting, spearing, etc?

I am not trying to stir the pot, just wondering about their leadership and the actual "ceased" fishing at this time?

Being born and raised in the Cowichan Valley,I've had many native friends over the years. One thing I can say for sure
is that they're quite a tight knit group,and they,for the most part, know and look out for each other. The vast
majority of them will respect their elders decisions on this or any other matter.Having said that,just like us "whiteys",
there is always a few bad apples. They will continue to do as they please,but will go under the radar,so to speak,
which would be under the cover of darkness. This is to protect their "honor" in the tribe,which I beleive means alot
to most of them.

Update from One Cowichan:

A temporary ‘pulse’ of water is currently being released into the Cowichan in an attempt to coax the salmon that have gathered in the estuary up the river and away from the seals. Some salmon have already been caught and trucked up river – there is video showing this on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/OneCowichan

Fishing in the river has also been closed. Patti Delisle from Cowichan Tribes describes what this sacrifice means for her community in a moving video also on our Facebook page. Please watch and share.
Meanwhile, you have been joined by hundreds of others in asking for local control over our water so that this situation can be avoided in the future. There are now over 600 signatures! Supporters like Tina Winterlik are also putting great stuff online: http://tinawinterlik.blogspot.ca/

The BC Minister in charge – Hon. Steve Thomson – continues to duck responsibility despite the fact his Ministry was asked by local officials months ago to store more water and refused to do so. He seems open to more local control in the future, though, so we need to keep the pressure on him and others to follow through.
Thanks again for your support, and please keep sharing the petition and Like us on Facebook (we’re really nice!). We’re working on a community event that we will tell you more about soon.
Best wishes,
Matt Price

The Petition again: http://www.onecowichan.ca/?utm_camp...d=398&utm_medium=email&utm_source=onecowichan

Cheers,
Nog

Great news Nog! Thanks for the report. I guess with rain forcasted for the weekend, Catalyst has decided to let some
water go. I just hope it's not a matter of "too little too late"

Some natives unhappy with the Cowichan river closure

http://www.cowichannewsleader.com/news/173368891.html

Traditional practice needs to make a bit of space for conservation. The river closure is a good short-term response to a short-term situation. The rains will come and the river will continue to flow. In the meantime we need to give the fish a fighting chance to get their job done.

Selective fishing of coho and chums??? WTF,how the hell do you selectively spear salmon in a river? These idiots are
on glue!!

It is supposed to rain tomorrow. Heavy clouds have been hanging around for two days

Hi,
Just signed up and love the site!
Anybody know the process regarding the Cowichan closure and when it may open? Are we waiting for a certain return number before they open it or are we looking at the whole season?
I live in Lake cow and the water's high enough for sure and I'm seeing some good numbers on my counts.

Hi,Greenie.Welcome to the best sportfishing forum on the planet!Yes the river is closed to all gear fisherman,but I
beleive it is open in the "fly fishing only" section above Skutz Falls.If your thinking of trying that,be sure to double check
with the local fisheries office or on line to confirm this,as things may have changed.Other than that,there is usually an
opening for 1 coho a day on or around Nov.15-16 each year if the returns are reasonable.Good Luck!

Hi,Greenie.Welcome to the best sportfishing forum on the planet!Yes the river is closed to all gear fisherman,but I
beleive it is open in the "fly fishing only" section above Skutz Falls.If your thinking of trying that,be sure to double check
with the local fisheries office or on line to confirm this,as things may have changed.Other than that,there is usually an
opening for 1 coho a day on or around Nov.15-16 each year if the returns are reasonable.Good Luck!
Thanks for the welcome! There is an infinite supply of good reading on here and I have some serious catching up to do...
I have been watching this link: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/changes/1113/region1.html
It seems to indicate the whole shebang is down. Curious about the regulation process and who decides when and if it will be opened.

I'm also curious why other posters are so down on fishing the river...I understand the drought caused some serious concerns but I would love to hear why it should stay closed. I have recently moved home here to BC and am not familiar with the current state of the river.
The Cowichan was always one of the best rivers in southern BC with decent returns which could sustain a reasonable sport fishery. Is it getting pounded these days? Is is being mismanaged? Is the mill in Crofton responsible regarding flow levels? Lake front property owners?

Just looking for opinions and some insight here...not choosing sides yet!!!

Back