Cowichan River water flow

I'm glad Catalyst finally stepped up to the plate and did something.After all they are the biggest user of the resource
sucking 36,000,000 gallons a day out of the river.Just a band aid solution for now but hopefully it will buy us the time we need to get the weir raised.By the sounds of things it could be several years before that would be possible to happen.

Cant happen too soon.Been checking out the lower section of the Cowie the last couple of weeks.There is some springs that have managed to fight their way up through the shallow sections,Many of them have seal scars and I'm sure a lot
of fish are getting hammered at the mouth waiting for water.They usually have pulsed the river by now to get the bulk of the springs into the flow and away from the seals, but there's obviously not enough water in the lake to do this.Good news for sure!

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/cowichan-mulls-tax-hike-to-pay-for-raising-weir-1.2351818

More good news. Perhaps they may save the Cowichan after all. So why isn't DFO throwing in 5 to 10 million? That is petty cash out of their 2 billion dollar budget.

It won't happen. The residents on lakeshore will block the idea. This has been going on for years. This small handful of lakefront residents with political connections will fight tooth and nail to keep their lakefront the same.

I hope the lakesiders realize that if the level isn't raised their new docks cud be high and dry in late summer as catalyst plans to pump lake water over the wier .i agree the politics are a huge factor (note how fast the new dyke in town was built after the last flood,which I believe was caused by a huge logjam .said logjam caused by the city sewer pipe being placed perpendicular to the river.a gravel bar formed then the jam,I took pics and went to the city and then the muni where Jim Dias was in a meeting to deal with it,they brushed me off so I took a reporter from the local paper and her editor said to leave it ! One week later the jam was gone and the North bank was built up with riprap and cabled logs .clearly a large crew and machinery did all that .....and NO story locally .....now that's political

Last edited:
Back