Fishing from shore in Mexico

Reel-Knotty

Anyone ever fish from shore in the Mayan, headed down and thinking I may give it a try, licence needed ?

Thanks
cheers

No licence needed to fish from shore-however many hotel zones are closed to fishing to preserve the fish for beginner snorkelers.

Never fished there myself. My GF has a friend that spent some time in a resort there. She told her that she would never swim in the ocean again after going on a parasail ride and seeing what was swimming around just off the beach.

A few years back a buddy got married at the Grand Serinas (spelling?)(Just south of Playa de Carmen and we took our spinning rods with us. We would take some food from the buffet the night before (prawns etc) and keep them in the fridge till sunrise. We found a few spots off the rocks away from the main area of the resort that we could fish. Was good entertainment. We also took some weight for casting out and hooks. We found this the most productive next to casting spools as if you snagged you only lost the weight.

What I would do next time is take a sockeye bottom bouncing setup and cast it out as far as you can unto a sanding bottom and use mash mellows or something to suspend the bait. I've seen lots of big groupers and barracudas swimming around not far off the beach. Hope not to hook a turtle.. lol be prepared to snap it off if you can't stop it...

PS: Also one thing the charter likes is a good reel. I had my Calcutta 400 with me and all of them wanted to take me out in exchange. If you have one make a deal for 2- 6hr trips for your reel. Better than paying $200-300 per trip.
PSS: If you do take a good reel make sure it is in your carry-on.

2 other things.

Get the 52oz bubba keg at CT so you can take jumbo drinks with you.

If you are in an all-inclusive fill up a cup of Irish cream in the evening and put it in your fridge so you have it in the morning for coffee's.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll take a spinning setup with me and have some fun, Thanks Marsman for the advice on the reel good idea, I have the bubba keg.

cheers

I've been down a few times on the Atlantic side. What I have found to be the most effective method is to make a chicken rig with a one or two oz weight and buy some shrimp or squid and stick that on. I always used circle hooks in case a sea turtle or something with teeth bites. Crocs are a good go to lure as Springer said and it's good to have a surgical tubing lure for barracuda. I made my own surgical tubing lure and couldn't believe how well it worked, barracuda have a crazy fight. Fishing is usually better at night with bait because that is when the fish come in to feed. Do not eat barracuda, barracuda can have a parasite in their flesh called ciguatera which you cannot kill by freezing or cooking and makes you very sick for weeks. Look for structure and try around piers and rock jetties.
Good luck.

Back