fishing expenses and when are you considered a guide

I took Buds for 25 years where we shared expenses, work etc -had a great time -fished the whole West Coast But 2 years ago I was asked to guide for Westview out of Tahsis-got all my tickets, commercialized the boat- did it properly. It is extremely expensive to legally guide and be confident that there are no problems with litigation, or any other legal problems Under the table guiding is a fools game-you will either run into problems with the CRA, coast guard, local legitimate guides or god forbid with your insurance company should you have an accident. I could have done 20 trips a year for 450 dollars extra on my insurance but beware- after further investigation I don't think they would have paid if the boat didn't have a commercial number. Insurance will run you 2000 a year if you want to be fully protected so part time guiding is really not an option-either you are one or stick to fishing for fun and expenses-because if something goes wrong you will have nothing left and neither will your family

Back