Fishin line

Whats everyone's favorite go fishing line and test for salmon ?
For me...... Spin Casting from shore for salmon, I use 17# Berkley Trilene main line with a 3' - 30# Berkley Trilene leader
for any casting lure...mostly Buzz Bombs and Zingers.

Berkley trilene big game 40 lbs. 300 yard spool at CT like 15 bucks and the stuff is super tough. I use the green on 2 rods and the clear on the other 2. Suffix Fluoro for leaders 40 lbs.

Been running Maxima 30 lb for years now. Started running the new Sufix Advanced Monofiliment on my fresh water gear this summer and so far its the best mono I have encountered. Just have it in 10lb test on my walleye reels and after a few weeks still no memory and strong beyond regular mono. I will give it until next spring if they don’t offer it in 30lb (as that what I run for main line on my salmon rods) I will order the 25lb and make the switch.

Last edited:
Up until recently have always run Maxima Ultra Green. Tried other lines but always came back. Unfortunately Maxima has decided it is worth more than other brands so I've switched to Trilene. Seems good. Cheap enough that I don't mind changing it out occasionally. 30 lb is tons for salmon trolling main line. Try breaking it, or 20# for that matter with a bent rod. Leaders may vary. Heavier with flashers.

I would only run 25# Maxima Ultra Green on my salmon reels. However, the last few years I have seen too much line twisting. Switched to Trilene Big Game 25#. Been very satisfied so far. Fish Nootka, Columbia River, off shore Washington coast and Puget Sound.

lots of decent good line out there. Go with what you like and most importantly check it often, replace at least yearly and I cut off the first leading 20 feet (or so) after a day or two of fishing as the clip can wear.

premium_grande_5e924c68-10db-4519-aff2-78ab78baf9d8_2000x.png

I tried a good number of excellent lines out there (Ande Premium, Big Game Berkeley, Superstar, Seagar Flouro for leaders, Sufix Advance Braid and Mono, Power Pro braid) but if I had to choose one brand and model for all types (species and techniques) of salmon fishing it would have to be Maxima Ultragreen. 10-18lb for mainline and leaders for gear fishing in the river. 12-20lb for mooching leaders. 20-25lb for mooching mainline. 25-30lb for downrigging mainline. 20-40lb for teaserhead and spoon leaders. 40-60lb for hoochie leaders. I don't do any jigging so can't comment on the lbs for those. I can use the same brand of line for all those applications and can find it almost anywhere consistently. I also find that with the slightly thinner diameter and the amount of stretch I tie the best knots with Maxima Ultragreen. If price is a factor buy whatever brand you have heard of that's on sale. Haven't tried the Jinkai from PNT yet. The spools are too big for a trial purchase.

I tried a good number of excellent lines out there (Ande Premium, Big Game Berkeley, Superstar, Seagar Flouro for leaders, Sufix Advance Braid and Mono, Power Pro braid) but if I had to choose one brand and model for all types (species and techniques) of salmon fishing it would have to be Maxima Ultragreen. 10-18lb for mainline and leaders for gear fishing in the river. 12-20lb for mooching leaders. 20-25lb for mooching mainline. 25-30lb for downrigging mainline. 20-40lb for teaserhead and spoon leaders. 40-60lb for hoochie leaders. I don't do any jigging so can't comment on the lbs for those. I can use the same brand of line for all those applications and can find it almost anywhere consistently. I also find that with the slightly thinner diameter and the amount of stretch I tie the best knots with Maxima Ultragreen. If price is a factor buy whatever brand you have heard of that's on sale. Haven't tried the Jinkai from PNT yet. The spools are too big for a trial purchase.

Have to agree that Maxima is “the best by test” it’s just great all around. I like 12-15 chameleon for river fishing mainline as I find it slightly more abrasion resistant and easier to track with my eyes.

I like the 100 or 120lb Jinkai for Hali leaders, it’s a little stiffer and thicker than other lines. It’s a commitment though to buy a lifetime supply spool

My Islanders all have 60 pound PowerPro with 70 feet of 30 pound Big game for a top shot. Only way to go for downrigger fishing.
Change the topshot once a year. The braid will last till I die.

Since you're talking about line, I'm as new as it gets to ocean fishing....bought a used first reel, its an Islander MR3. I would like to change the line of course, and couple friends suggested Maxima 30#. Now I read about 'backing'....can someone fill me in on this? Sorry if i open up a can of worms here, but why is there such a thing? Wouldn't a guy just put the 350 or so yds of new line on a reel? What is the difference? Googled this a bit but figured I would get a better answer here....Thank you in advance, Rob.

Reactions: DMB
Since you're talking about line, I'm as new as it gets to ocean fishing....bought a used first reel, its an Islander MR3. I would like to change the line of course, and couple friends suggested Maxima 30#. Now I read about 'backing'....can someone fill me in on this? Sorry if i open up a can of worms here, but why is there such a thing? Wouldn't a guy just put the 350 or so yds of new line on a reel? What is the difference? Googled this a bit but figured I would get a better answer here....Thank you in advance, Rob.
I'm no expert either, but depending on reel capacity sometimes it is just to fill the reel part way with something bigger diameter and more economical. Fuller spool takes up line quicker.

Back