Fishfarm War

Chris, yes that is common knowledge, it has been expressed on Discovery Channel and I think TLC did one as well.

BUT is there not another alternative. Everyone is saying That fish farms should *not* be allowed to operate. BUT what I want to know is, what happens WHEN there are no more salmon at all. Dont tell me it cant happen, because on the East Coast, they didn't ever believe the Atlantic cod would Disappear, and That industry is dead, the Atlantic cod is on the extreme dangered list, if not gone all together. Fish stocks around the world are disappearing at alarming rates.

Farmed salmon do have negative impacts, But I ask again, is there a viable alternative? Is there a way to satisfy everyone. Either side of this debate, no one wants to lose, but how about a compromise?

DJ, we cannot let fish farms "compromise" the ecosystem which they now share with wild salmon. The fish farms need to be land-based. And to bring up other issues that compromise the environment (the old bait and switch kind of logic) is irrelevant to the need to remove fish farms from the water and irrelevant to our desire to specifically address the fish farm problem. I'm glad to see that at least you're not in denial about the harm fish farms have caused.

What irks me most sometimes is the blatant disingenuousness of those (but not you?) who bring up unrelated issues for no other reason than to mitigate or excuse the damage caused by fish farms. To suggest that salmon runs are harmed or may die off for other reasons is not the point. To suggest that other types of aquaculture are no better than fish farms is not the point. To argue about a possible need for fish farms is not the point. The point is that fish farms were brought in with the promise that they would not compromise West Coast salmon. Therefore, becaue fish farms have not delivered on that promise, they need to be removed. How hard can than be to understand?

And it just so happens that we fisherman on the West Coast care a lot about the wild salmon runs that are at stake here, and we believe that it's time to take action for a cause about which we feel so passionate, and for a cause that cries out for immediate action! How hard can that be to understand?

Hope that clears things up for you.

Red Monster;

Yes that does clear it up. Now I have another question.

Why cant the fish farms be moved onshore? I have seen stocked trout are they not "farmed" trout? Why can't they have onshire fish pens for salmon??

If you don't care about the cost in terms of the damage fish farms cause to the ocean ecology, at the moment it's just more profitable to fish farm in the ocean. To date, land-based farms have not been sucessful, but some attempts are still being made.

Some folks are willing to pay more for foods that
are "environmentally friendly." Perhaps land-based fish farms could become profitable even if it cost more? Now if folks stopped buying fish farmed in the ocean because it messes up the ocean, there would be a much greater motive for developing land-based fish farms and a lot less profit in the status quo.

Howdy,

Cogent words RM. Good on you!

DJ: I urge you research the net-pen industry then formulate your own opinion; and I'm not talking about a coupla' quick mouse-clicks on Google. Dig deep; there are canons of credible scientific evidence out there.

Once you are sufficiently sickened by what you've learned - send me an email and join the 'ALLIANCE'.

quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk

Howdy,

Cogent words RM. Good on you!

DJ: I urge you research the net-pen industry then formulate your own opinion; and I'm not talking about a coupla' quick mouse-clicks on Google. Dig deep; there are canons of credible scientific evidence out there.

Once you are sufficiently sickened by what you've learned - send me an email and join the 'ALLIANCE'.

What I learn here "today". I plan to do that. On my days off, I really want to know more about the truth behind this deplorable industry. I want to make it clear, I dont back the fish farms, I dont believe that anything "farmed" from the ocean can be good. Just as it is deadly to introduce other species to other countries, I do not see how "penned" fish cannot do damage to the ocean. Just look at the damage that introduced species have done in other regions.

Google is a very useful tool, but only if you know how to use that tool to its full capacity.

However on the same side of the pond, the threat of over fishing is very real, and there needs to be something done before our fish stocks are to a point where fishing a river, lake or ocean are closed to all types of fishing permanently.

George Orwell R.I.P. [xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

Pantheran do you have any clue what you are talking about???;)

Howdy,

Gentlemen; On this front we are all supposed to be united towards a
common goal ie. 'Sinking the fishfarms'

How can we hope to achieve anything as a group - under the public microscope - if we're bickering amongst us?

Please, if you want to diss each other, exchange email addresses and have at it on the sidelines!

Cheers,
Terry

quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk

Howdy,

Gentlemen; On this front we are all supposed to be united towards a
common goal ie. 'Sinking the fishfarms'

How can we hope to achieve anything as a group - under the public microscope - if we're bickering amongst us?

Please, if you want to diss each other, exchange email addresses and have at it on the sidelines!

Cheers,
Terry

I didn't want to bicker, but to show I am a bigger person. I deleted my posts.

Back