Fishfarm War

Oggidog

I resent someone hi-jacking a sport fishing forum to rant about fish farms. This is no place for that poisened type of rhetoric.

Might you please suggest a more suitable forum then this one please. Oh I know, how about Ilovefishfarms.com;) eman

Might you please suggest a more suitable forum then this one please. Oh I know, how about Ilovefishfarms.com;) eman

I may not like the idea of fish farms, but I have to agree not to highjack this sport fishing forum for that purpose. Spend your time and efforts where you are going to get the best bang for your buck ( two cents worth ). Join the lobbying group against fish farms or address it through your MLA.

I may not like the idea of fish farms, but I have to agree not to highjack this sport fishing forum for that purpose. Spend your time and efforts where you are going to get the best bang for your buck ( two cents worth ). Join the lobbying group against fish farms or address it through your MLA.

I try to read every post made on here. Some are informative; some are less so. My feelings never get hurt if I spend a few seconds reading something that doesn't interest me in the end. I happen to agree with Little Hawk's basic position and wish I had the passion, inclination and time that he has for the subject.

I try to read every post made on here. Some are informative; some are less so. My feelings never get hurt if I spend a few seconds reading something that doesn't interest me in the end. I happen to agree with Little Hawk's basic position and wish I had the passion, inclination and time that he has for the subject.

Hey John, thanks for the link to an aquaculture website sponsored by multinational fishfarm drug producers. Very informative in a scary kind of way.

Hey John, thanks for the link to an aquaculture website sponsored by multinational fishfarm drug producers. Very informative in a scary kind of way.

Tend to disagree with ogg's issue. While yes, if the boards were plugged in the summer with these topics, it would be inappropriate since much is going on in the sports fishing world, but this is winter last time I checked. Very little goes on in the ocean and most people just discuss prep for next season, upgrades to boats etc etc

The lousy returns are a huge issue that effects all of us for next season and future season - why not discuss off-season? No better time IMH. Research is showing the harm caused by the fish-farming and if people want to try to deal with the problems that effect next seasons sport fishery, why not discuss here with the people that would likely be most passionate about the topic?

I say keep it going, just wrap it up in the late spring once everyone starts dropping their lines!

Tend to disagree with ogg's issue. While yes, if the boards were plugged in the summer with these topics, it would be inappropriate since much is going on in the sports fishing world, but this is winter last time I checked. Very little goes on in the ocean and most people just discuss prep for next season, upgrades to boats etc etc

The lousy returns are a huge issue that effects all of us for next season and future season - why not discuss off-season? No better time IMH. Research is showing the harm caused by the fish-farming and if people want to try to deal with the problems that effect next seasons sport fishery, why not discuss here with the people that would likely be most passionate about the topic?

I say keep it going, just wrap it up in the late spring once everyone starts dropping their lines!

quote:I resent someone hi-jacking a sport fishing forum

That's quite a funny thing to say: last time I looked you could still choose to read or choose not to read any posted thread on this forum, same as always. So if you don't like the topic, don't read about it. If you have something to say, you're free to say it. And if you choose to act like a clam and ignore one of the biggest threats to sport fishing, that's fine too. But if you choose to act like an butt by trying to find a way to muzzle folks who want to address the plague of fish farms, I will feel complelled to point out the absurdity of your mission. Take a look at the number of responses and the number of reads for the "Salmon Extinction" thread. You're in the minority around here O'dog. If you want something to "resent" you ought to start with the fish farmers, who for profit are perpared to destroy the wild runs of salmon we at this forum claim to value. Clams are bad enough; asses are worse.

quote:I resent someone hi-jacking a sport fishing forum

That's quite a funny thing to say: last time I looked you could still choose to read or choose not to read any posted thread on this forum, same as always. So if you don't like the topic, don't read about it. If you have something to say, you're free to say it. And if you choose to act like a clam and ignore one of the biggest threats to sport fishing, that's fine too. But if you choose to act like an butt by trying to find a way to muzzle folks who want to address the plague of fish farms, I will feel complelled to point out the absurdity of your mission. Take a look at the number of responses and the number of reads for the "Salmon Extinction" thread. You're in the minority around here O'dog. If you want something to "resent" you ought to start with the fish farmers, who for profit are perpared to destroy the wild runs of salmon we at this forum claim to value. Clams are bad enough; asses are worse.

Well said Red!!

How is that hi-jacking a thread in the first place??Odog? Are you a fish farmer perhaps?

Well said Red!!

How is that hi-jacking a thread in the first place??Odog? Are you a fish farmer perhaps?

If I'm not mistaken from previous posts I believe you are this John Reynolds?

John Reynolds Biography

Mr. Reynolds was born January 19, 1942, in Toronto, Ontario, moved to Montreal, Quebec 1947 where he lived until 1958.

His career includes substantial experience in venture capital development, consumer products marketing, resource sector development and elected political office, both federal and provincial.

Mr. Reynolds began his career in the sales and marketing field; was western sales manager for Rust Craft Greeting Cards; joined Ethicon Sutures Ltd. (a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson) and at that time was the youngest manager ever appointed by that company.

Mr. Reynolds political career began in 1972, when he was elected to the House of Commons as a Progressive Conservative Member of Parliament for the British Columbia riding of Burnaby-Richmond-Delta. He was re-elected in the 1974 general election. During his time as an MP (1972-1977), he served on numerous standing committees, health and welfare, sport and fitness, transportation, and justice and legal affairs. He chaired the Progressive Conservative Caucus Committee responsible for the Department of Supply and Services.

Following his tenure as an elected official, Mr. Reynolds pursued work in the private sector, which included directorships on the boards of numerous public companies, including International Corona Resources; one of the largest gold discoveries in North America; and hosted one of British Columbia's leading radio talk shows.

Mr. Reynolds began his provincial government political career in 1983, elected as Member of the Legislative Assembly for British Columbia for the riding of West Vancouver-Howe Sound. Re-elected in 1986 and elected Speaker of the Legislative Assembly on March 9, 1987, a post he served with distinction until his appointment to Cabinet on November 1, 1989, as Minister of Environment.

During Mr. Reynolds term as Speaker of the Legislative Assembly and as a consequence of his particular interest in the Commonwealth, he held the position of President of the British Columbia branch of the Canadian Commonwealth Parliamentary Association. In September 1989, he was elected Vice-Chairman of the executive Committee of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, for a three-year term. Mr. Reynolds is the first British Columbian politician elected to the executive of this association, which is composed of representatives from 112 Commonwealth nations, states and provinces.

As Minister of Environment in British Columbia, Mr. Reynolds chaired the Cabinet Committee on Environment and Land Use, was a member of the Planning and Priorities Committee of Cabinet, Regional and Economic Development Committee of Cabinet, Native Affairs Committee of Cabinet, Cultural Heritage Committee of Cabinet, and the Vancouver International Airport Cabinet Committee. He was also a member of the BC/Alberta Boundary Commission, the BC/Yukon/NWT Boundary Commission, and the Environmental Appeal Board.

Following the 1991 provincial election, Mr. Reynolds moved to Scottsdale, Arizona where he resided from 1992 to 1996. During that four-year period he was President of a Venture Capital Company, involved in numerous projects.

In 1997, Mr. Reynolds returned to British Columbia and on June 2, 1997, he was again elected to the House of Commons as a Reform Party Member of Parliament for the riding of West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast. He was appointed on June 20, 1997, to the 'shadow cabinet' of the Official Opposition as Critic for Citizenship and Immigration. One year later, in June 1998, he took over as Chief Opposition Critic for Fisheries and Oceans and on August 31, 1998, Mr. Reynolds was asked to take over the Justice portfolio as Chief Opposition Critic. On August 1, 2000, the new leader of the Canadian Alliance, Stockwell Day, appointed Mr. Reynolds Chief Opposition Whip. In this capacity, Mr. Reynolds was a member of the Procedure and House Affairs Committee, and a member of the Board of Internal Economy, which manages the budget of the House of Commons. On November 27, 2000, Mr. Reynolds was re-elected by the electorate of West Vancouver – Sunshine Coast for a second term and was re-appointed as Chief Opposition Whip. In January 2001, Mr. Reynolds was appointed as the Official Opposition House Leader. In December 2001, Mr. Reynolds was elected Leader of the Opposition in the House of Commons by the Canadian Alliance Caucus, and Leader of the Canadian Alliance by the national council of the Canadian Alliance Party.

On May 13, 2002, after Stephen Harper’s election as Member of Parliament in Calgary Southwest, Mr. Harper became the Leader of the Opposition and appointed Mr. Reynolds as the Official Opposition House Leader. In January 2004, he resigned that position to become Co-chair of the Stephen Harper Leadership Campaign. Following Mr. Harper’s successful bid to become Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, Mr. Reynolds was again appointed Official Opposition House Leader on March 22, 2004.

Mr. Reynolds was vice-chair of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association and vice-chair of the Canada/UK Parliamentary Association.

Mr. Reynolds’ community activities have included being a founding member and chairman of the Gordie Howe Foundation for Disabled Athletes, member of the International Churchill Society, and he served as a member of the Board of Governors for the 1994 Victoria Commonwealth Games Society. He was awarded the Queens Medal in 1978 and 2002.

John was re-elected in the June 28, 2004 general election. Shortly after the election Stephen Harper appointed Mr. Reynolds as the Official Opposition House Leader and Critic for Sports. On January 24, 2005, Mr. Reynolds stepped aside as Official Opposition House Leader after deciding not to seek re-election.

John served as co-chair of the successful national Conservative Party campaign for the January 23, 2006 federal election, in which Stephen Harper was elected the Prime Minister of Canada.

Mr. Reynolds was appointed as a member of the Queen's Privy Council for canada on February 6, 2006. In March 2006, John was appointed as a Senior Strategic Advisor to Lang Michener law firm in Vancouver.

He is married to Yvonne and they have seven children and ten grandchildren

My point being is,if this is The Honourable John Reynolds is there not something that you can do with your considerable political background to ask some hard questions and maybe make some people squirm?

If I'm not mistaken from previous posts I believe you are this John Reynolds?

John Reynolds Biography

Mr. Reynolds was born January 19, 1942, in Toronto, Ontario, moved to Montreal, Quebec 1947 where he lived until 1958.

His career includes substantial experience in venture capital development, consumer products marketing, resource sector development and elected political office, both federal and provincial.

Mr. Reynolds began his career in the sales and marketing field; was western sales manager for Rust Craft Greeting Cards; joined Ethicon Sutures Ltd. (a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson) and at that time was the youngest manager ever appointed by that company.

Mr. Reynolds political career began in 1972, when he was elected to the House of Commons as a Progressive Conservative Member of Parliament for the British Columbia riding of Burnaby-Richmond-Delta. He was re-elected in the 1974 general election. During his time as an MP (1972-1977), he served on numerous standing committees, health and welfare, sport and fitness, transportation, and justice and legal affairs. He chaired the Progressive Conservative Caucus Committee responsible for the Department of Supply and Services.

Following his tenure as an elected official, Mr. Reynolds pursued work in the private sector, which included directorships on the boards of numerous public companies, including International Corona Resources; one of the largest gold discoveries in North America; and hosted one of British Columbia's leading radio talk shows.

Mr. Reynolds began his provincial government political career in 1983, elected as Member of the Legislative Assembly for British Columbia for the riding of West Vancouver-Howe Sound. Re-elected in 1986 and elected Speaker of the Legislative Assembly on March 9, 1987, a post he served with distinction until his appointment to Cabinet on November 1, 1989, as Minister of Environment.

During Mr. Reynolds term as Speaker of the Legislative Assembly and as a consequence of his particular interest in the Commonwealth, he held the position of President of the British Columbia branch of the Canadian Commonwealth Parliamentary Association. In September 1989, he was elected Vice-Chairman of the executive Committee of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, for a three-year term. Mr. Reynolds is the first British Columbian politician elected to the executive of this association, which is composed of representatives from 112 Commonwealth nations, states and provinces.

As Minister of Environment in British Columbia, Mr. Reynolds chaired the Cabinet Committee on Environment and Land Use, was a member of the Planning and Priorities Committee of Cabinet, Regional and Economic Development Committee of Cabinet, Native Affairs Committee of Cabinet, Cultural Heritage Committee of Cabinet, and the Vancouver International Airport Cabinet Committee. He was also a member of the BC/Alberta Boundary Commission, the BC/Yukon/NWT Boundary Commission, and the Environmental Appeal Board.

Following the 1991 provincial election, Mr. Reynolds moved to Scottsdale, Arizona where he resided from 1992 to 1996. During that four-year period he was President of a Venture Capital Company, involved in numerous projects.

In 1997, Mr. Reynolds returned to British Columbia and on June 2, 1997, he was again elected to the House of Commons as a Reform Party Member of Parliament for the riding of West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast. He was appointed on June 20, 1997, to the 'shadow cabinet' of the Official Opposition as Critic for Citizenship and Immigration. One year later, in June 1998, he took over as Chief Opposition Critic for Fisheries and Oceans and on August 31, 1998, Mr. Reynolds was asked to take over the Justice portfolio as Chief Opposition Critic. On August 1, 2000, the new leader of the Canadian Alliance, Stockwell Day, appointed Mr. Reynolds Chief Opposition Whip. In this capacity, Mr. Reynolds was a member of the Procedure and House Affairs Committee, and a member of the Board of Internal Economy, which manages the budget of the House of Commons. On November 27, 2000, Mr. Reynolds was re-elected by the electorate of West Vancouver – Sunshine Coast for a second term and was re-appointed as Chief Opposition Whip. In January 2001, Mr. Reynolds was appointed as the Official Opposition House Leader. In December 2001, Mr. Reynolds was elected Leader of the Opposition in the House of Commons by the Canadian Alliance Caucus, and Leader of the Canadian Alliance by the national council of the Canadian Alliance Party.

On May 13, 2002, after Stephen Harper’s election as Member of Parliament in Calgary Southwest, Mr. Harper became the Leader of the Opposition and appointed Mr. Reynolds as the Official Opposition House Leader. In January 2004, he resigned that position to become Co-chair of the Stephen Harper Leadership Campaign. Following Mr. Harper’s successful bid to become Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, Mr. Reynolds was again appointed Official Opposition House Leader on March 22, 2004.

Mr. Reynolds was vice-chair of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association and vice-chair of the Canada/UK Parliamentary Association.

Mr. Reynolds’ community activities have included being a founding member and chairman of the Gordie Howe Foundation for Disabled Athletes, member of the International Churchill Society, and he served as a member of the Board of Governors for the 1994 Victoria Commonwealth Games Society. He was awarded the Queens Medal in 1978 and 2002.

John was re-elected in the June 28, 2004 general election. Shortly after the election Stephen Harper appointed Mr. Reynolds as the Official Opposition House Leader and Critic for Sports. On January 24, 2005, Mr. Reynolds stepped aside as Official Opposition House Leader after deciding not to seek re-election.

John served as co-chair of the successful national Conservative Party campaign for the January 23, 2006 federal election, in which Stephen Harper was elected the Prime Minister of Canada.

Mr. Reynolds was appointed as a member of the Queen's Privy Council for canada on February 6, 2006. In March 2006, John was appointed as a Senior Strategic Advisor to Lang Michener law firm in Vancouver.

He is married to Yvonne and they have seven children and ten grandchildren

My point being is,if this is The Honourable John Reynolds is there not something that you can do with your considerable political background to ask some hard questions and maybe make some people squirm?

...adding a topic to a forum is not considered hi-jacking...hi-jacking is a term used when someone makes a thread within a forum and then another person replies or posts off topic. The original poster or author can also hi-jack his/her own thread by posting off the original posted topic.

Any topic relating to the state of wild or hatchery stock salmon or other sport caught species is related to this forum...and in my books welcome. If you don't like the topic heading then don't click the link.

My view is that fish farms and how they opperate and effect the environment and other species around them, are every bit as importent as finding oout all of the info that you need to go and wack a few fish for the bucket. Just my opinion...

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

Back