Filling Holes on Transom

One days work? I’d probably separate the top from the bottom and put in big sheets of marine ply if I was doing that. Ply is more than aluminum in my case haha. I’m into it for $100 worth of aluminum and 5 tubes of sikaflex and epoxy that I already had
I’m not talking about a transom replacement, just raising it up to accommodate a longer leg. Isn’t that the idea? That is one days work. This is a several week thread. Glass is amazing and worth learning imo.

One day’s work and a couple hundred in glass materials. Aluminum isn’t cheap, neither is sika or 5200.
More then one days work,if you can do this in one day your some sort of a fibreglass magician, glass work drying ,gel coat fix ,before motor goes back on is more like a few days at best, Frankenstein glass job in a day could be done lol

More then one days work,if you can do this in one day your some sort of a fibreglass magician, glass work drying ,gel coat fix ,before motor goes back on is more like a few days at best, Frankenstein glass job in a day could be done lol
One day easy for structure if using poly over gelcoat. Lay up directly over top using unwaxed resin. You could spend days on cosmetics if you wanted, especially mixing products but IMO there’s nothing aesthetically pleasing about aluminum scabbed over glass. So up close you would see where the tabs are but it’s be stronger and white in one day, easy.

Not sure how that would look any better but to each their own. You’d have to spend a lot of time to fibreglass something in and make it look decent. I’m just upgrading an old boat a little at a time. I’m just Trying to get a fuel efficient and reliable motor to putt around in. Not worth it to spend a ton of time and money on a boat that really isn’t worth much. The 40 year old 18’ers still catch fish and that’s all that matters lol

What did you end up with for a motor cory? I might just end up keeping this hourston hull that I picked up against my wife's wishes and do the same, slowly upgrade over time like yourself.

I didn’t have to raise up this pod transom, but maxed the height out on the #600 df225. It’s a foam injected pod built on the island and there was deflection and cracks in the gelcoat already, and bolts were sucked into the glass. Under 3 hrs and $50 in material for an extra 1/2” glass and 250hrs later not a wiggle. No sanding between layers, just the original prep, tabbing and waxed gelcoat.

Attachments

• B6C8AEB7-DD1A-4BC3-803A-670D362DBC01.jpeg
    B6C8AEB7-DD1A-4BC3-803A-670D362DBC01.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 34
What did you end up with for a motor cory? I might just end up keeping this hourston hull that I picked up against my wife's wishes and do the same, slowly upgrade over time like yourself.
2012 merc 90hp. 500 hours. The price was too good to pass up.

Nice. I did see a hull with a 115 optimax with low hours. The trailer was painted steel though like the one I already have. If it was galvanized I would pick it up for both.

Nice. I did see a hull with a 115 optimax with low hours. The trailer was painted steel though like the one I already have. If it was galvanized I would pick it up for both.
I’ve never heard anything good about Optimax engines. And that’s coming from my buddy who is a merc mechanic.

Im looking for a galvanized trailer too. My steel trailer is showing rust in some spots.

I’ve never heard anything good about Optimax engines. And that’s coming from my buddy who is a merc mechanic.

Im looking for a galvanized trailer too. My steel trailer is showing rust in some spots.
i’ll second this. been out on three different boats that went kaboom while out there. all need optimax.!not a good feeling. and wasn’t even my boats

I've blown one up myself. But for the right price I'll gamble!

Back