INEXPENSIVE DIY rod holders?

dglass

Hey guys.
As my experience saltwater fishing grows I'm learning to target new species, which means grabbing more gear. I often fish barkley and will target salmon/ling/hali in the same day. I have an 18' Olympic hardtop and I want to figure out more rod storage options FOR RUNNING. I will not be fishing out of these holders. So far I have 2 ideas.

1) Mount something to the rails up top so rods can stand straight up. Thinking of trying to DIY something like this (not with these dimensions, just an example pic):
holder example.JPG
Or less ideally
2) Mount something at the back of the boat in front of my motor. Seen in this pic where the splashwell drops down by the racor. BUT (a) there's not a lot of real estate to drill holes back there, (b) it might interfere with how my back canvas snaps on while the boat is not in use, (c) you wouldn't want to leave rods there while fishing, and maybe most importantly (d) that's where the wife takes a ****!
For these reasons if I HAD TO go with option 2 I would want it to be removable. back_boat.jpg

So, anybody have any good ideas for option 1? This is a "nice to have" thing so budget would be around $150. Pic of boat for reference so you can see the size and top rails. FYI I can't mount to the metal that holds the back glass on because that where the canvas snaps are.
full_boat.JPG

Thanks for sharing any ideas! There's gotta be some crafty people on here that have made something like this before.

Last edited:
Pretty small budget. My bud @chris73 has just a simple scotty multiple holder drilled in the roof. I wouldn't put them in back personally I think they get in way. Just get that scotty 3 holder and drill thru the roof, and mount it forward of snaps.

Or pay a few hundred more and get a proper welded roof holder.

Last edited:
Put a rod rack on your roof. Move it far enough forward from those snaps. ZI wouldn't mount it on rail. Just get a welded aluminum one made, and your done.
Getting welded aluminum one made would probably be over $150? I guess it doesn't hurt to go to a shop for a quote. You're saying to bolt the welded alu one in through the roof? Wanted to mount to the rails (like in the picture) so I wouldn't need to drill more holes and so I could take it off if I decide I don't like where it is.

Getting welded aluminum one made would probably be over $150? I guess it doesn't hurt to go to a shop for a quote. You're saying to bolt the welded alu one in through the roof? Wanted to mount to the rails (like in the picture) so I wouldn't need to drill more holes and so I could take it off if I decide I don't like where it is.

If you are on the island I had Larry from DSS welding do mine. It wasn't that expensive. He installed and mounted it on roof, and done. I screwed around with mounting plastic etc. I have same like you aluminum rails on hardtop.

What I like about mineespecially with a lower roof is that it doesn't get in way while I am fishing. I see a lot of holder mounted to far back and tilted wrong which just gets in way even when landing fish etc. If done right the rods stay out of the way, and nothing blocking visibility side windows etc.

1686934026916.png
1686934224776.png

Last edited:
Hey guys.
As my experience saltwater fishing grows I'm learning to target new species, which means grabbing more gear. I often fish barkley and will target salmon/ling/hali in the same day. I have an 18' Olympic hardtop and I want to figure out more rod storage options FOR RUNNING. I will not be fishing out of these holders. So far I have 2 ideas.

1) Mount something to the rails up top so rods can stand straight up. Thinking of trying to DIY something like this (not with these dimensions, just an example pic):
View attachment 93620
Or less ideally
2) Mount something at the back of the boat in front of my motor. Seen in this pic where the splashwell drops down by the racor. BUT (a) there's not a lot of real estate to drill holes back there, (b) it might interfere with how my back canvas snaps on while the boat is not in use, (c) you wouldn't want to leave rods there while fishing, and maybe most importantly (d) that's where the wife takes a ****!
For these reasons if I HAD TO go with option 2 I would want it to be removable. View attachment 93621

So, anybody have any good ideas for option 1? This is a "nice to have" thing so budget would be around $150. Pic of boat for reference so you can see the size and top rails. FYI I can't mount to the metal that holds the back glass on because that where the canvas snaps are.
View attachment 93622

Thanks for sharing any ideas! There's gotta be some crafty people on here that have made something like this before.
You need a real roof rack with radar and rod holders. That would be sweet.

If you are on the island I had Larry from DSS welding do mine. It wasn't that expensive. He installed and mounted it on roof, and done. I screwed around with mounting plastic etc. I have same like you aluminum rails on hardtop.

What I like about mine i esecially with a lower roof it that it doesn't get in way while I am fishing. I see a lot of holder mounted to far back and tilted wrong which just gets in way. Even when landing fish etc. The rods stay out of the way, and nothing blocking visibility etc.

View attachment 93627
View attachment 93628
Like that! Lol. I really should read the whole thread first

You can do this if you didn't want to make aluminum one. Think you could do it for like 250.00 or so. I think those scotty three mounts are like 125.00-150.00 or so. Just some sikaflex and hardware/ drill through roof. Been on @chris73 boat and it works same. I think those are removable as well.
1686935674933.png

You can do this if you didn't want to make aluminum one. Think you could do it for like 250.00 or so. I think those scotty three mounts are like 125.00-150.00 or so. Just some sikaflex and hardware/ drill through roof. Been on @chris73 boat and it works same. I think those are removable as well.
View attachment 93630
I feel like this is the way to do it unless some fishy MacGiv'r has some crazy diy idea. Could even put this on the splashwell spot then take it off when wife's gotta pee or needing to trim way up.

A friend just had a new type of rod holders installed on his boat. You normally have to be 6 feet tall to get a rod out of the holder. On the new rod holding system you pull the drawstring and the rod holder shift down by about a foot.. you grab your rod out and push the rod holder and they move back up on top of the boat. There are two hydraulic shocks on each side of the rod holder.

I have attached photos of the holder up and down.

Attachments

• rod holder up.jpg
    rod holder up.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 54
  • rod holder down.jpg
    rod holder down.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 54
  • rod holders down.jpg
    rod holders down.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 54
View attachment 93630
I had the same thing on my last boat and it worked great.
1686945424838.png
1686945395941.jpeg

@Doug Dang that looks nice. Also looks $$$. I imagine those 6 stainless rod holders were over $150 alone though? If I had the coin I would want something like that or custom. Edited title of thread to highlight I'm looking for an inexpensive solution since this is a want not a need.

Had a friend weld these up for me. One on each side is perfect. Had major rod storage issues when running before with any more than 2 people on board. On the side beside the windows and out of the way when fighting fish. Also good for holding the gaff and net etc. when fishing. Good luck. Shayne

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230616-140712_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230616-140712_Gallery.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 44
i can sell you mine for $150 if you want. i dont use them and ive taken aluminum mesh and rod holders out. they are solid alumimun painted black with mercury outboard paint. i kept banging my head against them everytime i exited the boat. and anyway i have only 2 rods and they are overkill. but you can bungee stuff to the mesh and frame is solid. can weld it on or bolt thru.
00D0D_2yTQlIF3MR1z_0wj0mq_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. I think I'm going to end up doing something like this. Do you run with the net up there or just when trolling jigging? Feel like it could fall (out or at least be a sail) when running.
I would usually run with it up there

Back