Favourite halibut holes

good thing your being vague !! lol

anyone of those out past the 1200' mark right on the bottom

My buddy in nanaimo claims there are no hali south of Campbell River to Active Pass. Personally I can't see that being true?

Barrie I think there was years ago there's a bank named Halibut Bank must have got that name for some reason. One of the neighbors when I was a kid got a hali on the outside of Polier Pass. Between Decourcy Island and Yellow point there used to be a a small dragger that worked that piece of water from Round island to Thetis island and I used to tie my little aluminum up against his commercial boat and help him sort and in turn he would let me keep some of the bycatch. Never saw any hali's in the mix but tons of all types of sole, gray cod etc. Some of the sole/flounder were pretty big. Just think the areas were fished out over the years probably will come back some day again if allowed, every once in a while you do here of an accidental hali being caught.

Barrie I think there was years ago there's a bank named Halibut Bank must have got that name for some reason. One of the neighbors when I was a kid got a hali on the outside of Polier Pass. Between Decourcy Island and Yellow point there used to be a a small dragger that worked that piece of water from Round island to Thetis island and I used to tie my little aluminum up against his commercial boat and help him sort and in turn he would let me keep some of the bycatch. Never saw any hali's in the mix but tons of all types of sole, gray cod etc. Some of the sole/flounder were pretty big. Just think the areas were fished out over the years probably will come back some day again if allowed, every once in a while you do here of an accidental hali being caught.
From what I understand is halibut bank was a very large producer of hali's but it was fished out back in war times to feed the soldiers,
it and mccall are both now in the rca's,

There are hali down south. Heard of a few reliable reports from guys at French Creek etc. Shows up in hali data. Can't say I have ever deliberate on purpose like targeted them on "EVIC" but I'm sure they are there if you put your time in.

Halibut Bank has always had a little intrigue, too bad one can't give her a test fish....can't say I'm 100% on ECVI regs but isn't Hali Bank closed?

Back