Fathers Day Weekend Fishing Derby

Can someone detail the specific points as to where the "zones" are (or may be). I am not local or familiar with Sooke slots so can someone clarify from exactly which points these zones extend?

Thanks.

F.B.

Hatchery only fish east of Sheringham (unless you want to keep a 7lb'er)
Sheringham and further west you can keep a wild.

F.B.

Hatchery only fish east of Sheringham (unless you want to keep a 7lb'er)
Sheringham and further west you can keep a wild.

So I am clear. Wild fish can be retained in the small section between Sheringham Pt. and the River Jordan (Derby boundary), approx. 7 miles of shore line?

Does that mean the 'hatchery only' zone then continues South-East all the way to the Cadboro Pt. derby boundary?

Thanks.

Also, what is the likely time the decision will be made on the zones?

So I am clear. Wild fish can be retained in the small section between Sheringham Pt. and the River Jordan (Derby boundary), approx. 7 miles of shore line
Does that mean the 'hatchery only' zone then continues South-East all the way to the Cadboro Pt. derby boundary?

Thats the way I understand it, I'm sure Profisher can confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
That info was exactly what I was looking for WW.

Sorry for beating the dead horse as I'm sure its been long discussed, but according to the DFO info, we could be fishing under one regulation on Saturday, and another on Sunday? Is this correct?

Or are the derby organizers awaiting a call that would make it either one or the other for both days??

Thanks

DFO's site says June 14th forward regs are to be announced. It will be this week that's all we know but the DFO regs will be the same both days for sure.

You are correct FB the slot zone where you cant keep wild fish covers about 40 miles of coastline in the derby area while the non slot zone extends about 7 miles. To put it another way 85% of the derby area (coast line) is restricted while 15% can keep anything. The % restricted would be way higher if we calculate the total fishable area out to the border and not just the coastline but most guys fish the shore anyways.

So my question is why the boundary was extended boyond sherringham to include this 7 unrestricted miles when 40 miles face restriction. Something to think about for next year we have this great derby but a really dumb rule where a small area fishes by different rules then everyone else. Can't blame DFO they are responsible for the slot yes but only the organizers here can answer why they included what basically amounts to a loophole in DFO's regulations as part of the derby area.

Am I alone in thinking if there is a slot on the vast majority of the derby area it makes the most sense for everyone to just play by those rules? Imagine the Hali derby if sherringham west was any size and everyone else was 133cm maximum... In any event I commit to this being my last post on this topic i do appreciate the effort thats gone into organizing this event and hopefully I'm the minority who feels this way.

GDW we really expected to be in zone 2 this year with the increased abundance of early times Fraser fish and that DFO would not continue to increase the bench marks that keep us in zone 1. If as expected we were in zone 2 we did not want a heavily fished point to be a boundary. This creates more potential problems with everyone having a different interpretation of where the line is. So we moved it down to Jordon River where no one fishes salmon just to illuminate that problem.
We had the back up plan to split the $10,000 prize to $5000 for the largest salmon overall and $5000 for the largest hatchery if we were zone 1. This would allow anglers fishing Constance Bank, Whirl Bay the Trap etc an equal chance at $5000 as those fishing farther west. If we remain zone 1 and you choose to fish the Trap because it is where you like to fish....then you are fishing for the same prize money as those west of the light.

BTW - GDW your comparison to halibut is a little unfair as there are no hatchery halibut, so apples to oranges. :)

Just looked back a bit and need to make comment to cravens comment about easy to land a big fish at Muir and then run to Sheringham. Everyone should check the derby info in the SVIAC site for the latest updates. We will be requesting that those entrants fishing west of Sheringham Point and who land contending fish for the top 3 prizes immediately after landing their fish have the nearest boat entered in the derby witness your catch. You will hold up your fish for the other participating boat to see and then ask that person for their derby ticket number. We are also suggesting that you can also add to this verification by taking a photo of the angler holding the fish and having the Sheringham Lighthouse in the background.

Just looked back a bit and need to make comment to cravens comment about easy to land a big fish at Muir and then run to Sheringham. Everyone should check the derby info in the SVIAC site for the latest updates. We will be requesting that those entrants fishing west of Sheringham Point and who land contending fish for the top 3 prizes immediately after landing their fish have the nearest boat entered in the derby witness your catch. You will hold up your fish for the other participating boat to see and then ask that person for their derby ticket number. We are also suggesting that you can also add to this verification by taking a photo of the angler holding the fish and having the Sheringham Lighthouse in the background.

Profisher,

I have to say, I think your idea of having a participating boat of tournament anglers take a picture of another boats catch with the Sheringham Lighthouse in the background is not a viable or practical solution.

We are all competing in a tournament and I doubt many guys are really want to to Jocky their boats around to get a picture of another competitor while they have lines in the water, let alone stop fishing to do it. This sounds a bit unreasonable to ask participants to do in my opinion.

We all have cell phones that have Picture & Video capabilities. Why not have the boat that catches the fish take a video or even a picture with the lighthouse in the background. The Picture/Video is dated and time stamped by the phone, so it's easy to confirm the Date/Time & Place it was taken with the lighthouse in the background.

Just my 2 cents!

Keith

Where did I ask that another boat take a picture of someone's fish? Lol. We are asking that you catch what may be one of the top 3 Chinook....simply go to the nearest competitor boat and hold up your fish and say I just want you to witness that I have this fish on board and that I'm west of Sheringham. Then ask that person for their ticket number so that the weigh master can look up who it was that witnessed the fish and boat. And yes the person who landed the fish can add a photo of them with the fish with their relationship to the lighthouse in the background just to add more proof.

Hopefully the wind co-operates this weekend and everyone can get there favourite fishing spot. Kudo's to the the derby organizer's for all there hard work and efforts to make this event a success, as i am sure it will be. Sucks that they have to wade through all the red-tape and regs and come up with a format that makes everyone happy.

Where did I ask that another boat take a picture of someone's fish? Lol. We are asking that you catch what may be one of the top 3 Chinook....simply go to the nearest competitor boat and hold up your fish and say I just want you to witness that I have this fish on board and that I'm west of Sheringham. Then ask that person for their ticket number so that the weigh master can look up who it was that witnessed the fish and boat. And yes the person who landed the fish can add a photo of them with the fish with their relationship to the lighthouse in the background just to add more proof.

PF...fair enough!

The organizers have to go with what we have. The slot restrictions are unfair we all know that.

Look at others on the island being done at same time totally unrestricted. I totally wish that was us. And by know means would I want them to have our bad luck here. But its not and we will all have to make the best of it..I am actually hoping to see a hatchery take it that would be pretty sweet. I think everybody has tried to make it fair....

Last chance tonight to get into the Team & Accumulator Jackpots. There is about $5000 in the Team Jackpot and about $1700 in the Accumulator. Derby T-shirts and rules books will also be given out.

6-9 pm at the Six Mile Pub tonight Wednesday the 11th.

Remember to watch the SVIAC site on Friday night after 7pm for the announcing of the exact weigh required to win the Accumulator Jackpot and also how to be eligible for the 2014 "You Da Man Trophy" and prize package. (which will require that you have a Banana on board while fishing the derby)

Hey Profisher being that I wont be able to make it to this get together either, cause I don't get into Victoria till late tomorrow night is there another way I could pick up a rules booklet and t-shirts or just wait till the derby weekend/awards ceremony? Pretty sure all the major rules are on the SVIAC site right? I'm also curious about that you da man trophy and prize package if you could elaborate a bit more on this. Thanks

:mad:
Well I have a leg mechanical problem on my boat that needs to get done. There are no guarantees it will be done by weekend. So my little son and I may be boat less for the event, and we will not be able to go.:(

I am willing to sell these two tickets to someone with what I paid for them SVIAC rate $200.00 ($100 per rod). I will be posting Friday afternoon if these are up for grabs. Just wanted to have a backup plan in case.

I also have the rule book, stickers for rods and a couple of shirts..... You might have to exchange if you can... If anyone's interested PM me I won't know till before weekend like I said, but tickets will be first come first serve basis. Have to go as a pair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that SV. You may find that someone is sitting on one ticket and you could make a deal to bring your two so they could fish 3 rods. They supply the boat, you both share the gas and each of you have a rod. Just a thought. Would be better than missing out.

Back