False Creek boundary?

Hublocker

I find the DFO area map totally inadequate. What are the landmark points indicating the actual boundary line demarking False Creek area 28-8?

Just think of it as this to make it easiest: No fishing whatsoever from Jericho Pier to Stanley Park.

I've called DFO many times for people fishing in the summer from shore east of Macdonald Street in Kits with all kinds of crap including full on gill nets suitable for smolts and only once did they respond.

I've called DFO many times for people fishing in the summer from shore east of Macdonald Street in Kits with all kinds of crap including full on gill nets suitable for smolts and only once did they respond.
There used to be a few people with commercial licenses for Smelt nets they sold to ethnic restaurants-that was years ago now they'd mostly be gone now I suppose no idea what happens to the actual license.

There used to be a few people with commercial licenses for Smelt nets they sold to ethnic restaurants-that was years ago now they'd mostly be gone now I suppose no idea what happens to the actual license.

When the season comes there is an old boy on Kits Beach all the time early in the morning.

When the smelt used to run in Lake Ontario and I was a teenager (late 60's ) smelt fishing was a rite of passage.

Every year we had to bring along the new guy...becasue tradition had it the the new guy's mom's kitchen was where we cleaned the smelt.

We would fill a clean garbage can (with a drum liner in it) to the top with smelt in an hour or two .

Cleaning that many smelt in a someone's kitchen was kind of a mess. Roe and eggs (they are sticky) everywhere. Combine that with 5 or 6 teenage boys working in a fishery assembly line and you can imagine the mess.

One guy cut off the head and did a thumb run gut, the next guy really washed out the smelt, the next guy patted it dry and dipped it in pepper and flour .The last guy put a dozen into plastic bags with a bit of water and then they were ready to go into the freezer.

Smelt and eggs for 2nd breakfast after we came in from a November morning duck or goose hunt. A great memory from my youth .

When’s smelt season? I have been on a canned fish kick lately and it’s becoming an expensive habit. Would probably be a pretty good fish to can…

Back