End of a era, seabeam sold

I wonder what they are gonna do with it. Maybe flip it once a decent road goes in there? I will miss the beam….

Yeah this is really going to suck!
I guess that would explain why I haven't got a reply back for an email I sent a while ago requesting to book some dates.
I imagine the mass email will be sent out by them shortly saying thanks for all the support over the years......
Time to start looking for new accommodations.
It's going to be tough to replace the feel of the Beam.

Probably going to put in a Walmart and Starbucks in prep for new road going in ...... nothings gonna be the same !!!
Time to start looking the other side I guess

Probably going to put in a Walmart and Starbucks in prep for new road going in ...... nothings gonna be the same !!!
Time to start looking the other side I guess
The fisherman are getting pushed out all over. Prices are escalating the last couple years. I can’t blame these businesses I guess they have only a short window to make their income but it sure makes it tough for us. When you have to pay upwards of $300 a night for a room, combine all the other expenses its getting to be only for the rich. It’s fine if your just into a 2 or 3 days trip with buddies but when you want to get our for a week or two with family and maybe a young family it gets crazy. So many places they keep raising the price yet aren't putting money back in, the facilities are run down but the price goes up. The fisherman’s get way a like the Seabeam seem to be a thing of the past and it’s a shame.

We may have to form some fisherman co-ops and buy up some older places and keep them active. Problem is with operations like that is you have a half dozen people that put into it and a dozen that just use it.

As someone who was on counsel for my strata when I lived in a townhouse I could only imagine the drama.

we had 3 years were a strata fee increase got down voted only to end up with a special assessment fee to cover the shortfall 3 years later. There were a few that wanted immaculate landscaping, washing the units multiple times a year, fences repainted every 5 years ect ect ect and others who wanted none on it.

Last edited:
First stayed at the Seabeam about 35 years ago. Rented a small, "rustic" Whaler and fished from the Wall up to Cape Beale. I was much younger at that time so the old hand gurdy was fine and the outboard ran well. Fantastic memories of that place: the fellow that ran it was a terrific character (was his name Murray?") and certainly part of the Seabeam charm. A buddy and I booked there several years later and the Lodge was full so he arranged a little travel trailer for us to sleep in. We came in to the dock one afternoon and were cleaning our fish beside a guy from Germany. Looking over at his large salmon, I commented to him "Nice fish!" Obviously very proud, he quickly corrected me, in a heavy accent: "No fish, man. This is a Tyee!" He couldn't understand us laughing at that. Thought we were rude, I guess.

Good news , just got this email from seabeam (unless someone is scamming me and that would be very very nasty to do to an old guy lol)

From Seameam :

As many of you are now aware, the Seabeam Lodge has been sold. Seaton and Brad would like to thank all of you for your patronage and friendship over the years. It has been our great pleasure to have served you, your friends, and your families through your Bamfield adventures.

Please join us in welcoming the new owners to the Seabeam community. We wish them all the best throughout their new endeavor.

Please read below for a message from the new owners of Seabeam Lodge:

”We appreciate that the Seabeam Lodge has had a rich history in Bamfield over the past 70 years. The fact that a large number of people return year after year is a testament to the amazing people and fishing that make this place so great. We would like to inform you that the lodge will be undergoing major renovations to the main lodge, bunkhouse, and cabins. We do not have an exact timeline when renovations will be completed but plan on posting updates to the website as things progress. Given this uncertainty in the timeline we will not be taking any reservations for 2022 or beyond at this time. When we do re-open, we will be offering accommodations, moorage and parking space but do not intend to offer boat rentals. Again, we appreciate your understanding in this transitionary period and hope to see you at the lodge in the future.”
Regards,
Seabeam Lodge.
www.seabeamlodge.com

Good news , just got this email from seabeam (unless someone is scamming me and that would be very very nasty to do to an old guy lol)

From Seameam :

As many of you are now aware, the Seabeam Lodge has been sold. Seaton and Brad would like to thank all of you for your patronage and friendship over the years. It has been our great pleasure to have served you, your friends, and your families through your Bamfield adventures.

Please join us in welcoming the new owners to the Seabeam community. We wish them all the best throughout their new endeavor.

Please read below for a message from the new owners of Seabeam Lodge:

”We appreciate that the Seabeam Lodge has had a rich history in Bamfield over the past 70 years. The fact that a large number of people return year after year is a testament to the amazing people and fishing that make this place so great. We would like to inform you that the lodge will be undergoing major renovations to the main lodge, bunkhouse, and cabins. We do not have an exact timeline when renovations will be completed but plan on posting updates to the website as things progress. Given this uncertainty in the timeline we will not be taking any reservations for 2022 or beyond at this time. When we do re-open, we will be offering accommodations, moorage and parking space but do not intend to offer boat rentals. Again, we appreciate your understanding in this transitionary period and hope to see you at the lodge in the future.”
Regards,
Seabeam Lodge.
www.seabeamlodge.com
Renovations are needed. Good to see the new owners are investing to make the Seabeam even better.

Renovations are needed. Good to see the new owners are investing to make the Seabeam even better.
Agreed. Liked the nostalgia but definitely past the time of serious Renos. Can only imagine the new owners have deep pockets given the reports of those pilings, etc.

I remember Murray, the helicoptor pilot, Jack before my time but we were there when there were campsites all the way up the hill and made the biggest bonfires ever. The good old days. Oh ya and the fishing was great too.
island fish camp!!! the newish owner there should get something going.

A little bit more expensive would be fine but i can’t see them making it a full service resort. They just need to fix the foundation a bit and spruce it up a bit like they were doing already. It wouldn’t take much money to stop it from rotting away but keep the nostalgia.

Back