electric downriggers

nedarb2

ive finally converted and have gotten my self a pair or used ones..
any do's / dont's for them?
whats the most common problems for them?
and other tips or things i should know for them?

spare clips and also a ball;i think most of have lost one or two of these along the way.....

When you're letting the ball down as you pull the lever I put my thumb on the flat part of the drum and use a bit of pressure on it to control the speed and to slow it down as you get to the proper depth,saves on the wear and tear on the clutch.Check your stops if you are using the plastic stoppers they slip and the line is pulled up to much ,it will almost always result in losing your release clip,when the ball surfaces.I use brass stoppers crimped to the line,no slippage and cheaper than new release clips.Depending on the age of the downriggers see what plug they have on them the new twist locks have been working well for me this season.Try to mount your plugs out of the weather if you can the last 3 boats i've wired I have done that cuts down on problems.DAN

A big one is DO NOT use any lubricant (WD-40 etc), very bad for the brake etc, and was recommended to me by a scotty service center.

I myself do not have electric down riggers but my fishing buddy Wayne does have them. When I went fishing with him last week the little plastic stopper fell off and when the downrigger came up it did not stop till it hit the ball and then the fuse blew. So my advice to you is to make sure you have extra fuses just in case you need them..... luckily the stopper fell into the boat so we were able to reattach it to the line. So it might be a good idea to have extra stoppers on the boat too.

thanks guys,
when theres no cannon ball attached to the wire, what do i do to keep tension on the wire? should i bring it up to the pulley and keep it tight there, or attach to somewhere on the boom with a bunjee cord?

I just hook the wire back on itself by the pulley. Electrics aren't as bad for wire springing like manuals are. Fuses and belts are almost a must like the other guys say. Some emory paper or steel wool is a good idea to keep the connector plugs clean. Just remember to turn off your battery switch before you stick steel wool in you female plug or you'll start a fire. A little petroleum jelly will keep it from corroding again.

Every post here has very good pointers.Spare parts are a must!
No lube,wax or any lubricant should be used-bad for the plastic.
Based on personal experience,I would look for the twistlock style connector and socket as the older center pin style are notorious for corroding.Last thing you want is to be bouncing bottom with a cannonball and nothing but a little whine coming from your downrigger as you run over that nasty little pinnacle!

Based on a tip I read here on the forum I now use Super Glue to when attaching the plastic stoppere. Works great. I have also switched to the new Scotty twist type connection, a little spendy to switch over but they are very solid and work great.

ON Scotty's, the plastic stopper that attaches to the cable to stop the ball at water level. It will slide sometimes, especially if you hit some kelp or grass. By Super Gluing the stopper, it stays put.

Another thing to consider, change out the fuse and holder to a circuit breaker, they are only $10.00 or so. They are push button reset, sure beats trying to change a fuse in a hurry.

They also make spade type fuses that are resetable no rewiring involved and you can pick them up at automtive dealers i get mine from Bailey Western Star out of Campbell River

Back