ECVI Nanoose, French Creek Report

What did you get yours on frenchcreek? (BTW when I cut open my fish it had a seven inch herring in it's stomach).

It was a Coyote Yellowtail Everglow that I bought from the bargain bin at HC a couple of weeks ago, behind a Betsy flasher.

im heading out in the morning with a charter give a report later in the day i was out 3 days ago at fc and got 1 small spring 7 pounds and popped off 3 there just nibbling

Got out with Bushy for 3hours before the game. Went to Gerald and trolled for two hours and lost a small one and that was it. No bait and no fish showing so went to Ballenas and found much of the same. A little algae on the line but not too bad. Where are the fish? Usually by this time there are lots around but so far no fish and no bait.......BRS

BRS
You fared better than me at Gerald. No sign of anything on either side. Received a picture of a very nice fish taken around Winchelsea yesterday. I hear prawning is brutal.

Hey Moon, prawning will be a waste of time until the commercial guys are gone. I know they are not out yet but it's the same every year maybe they go deeper or shallower. There was one other boat at Gerald and he had nothing. Hurry up and wait I guess........BRS

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked to a couple Beachcomber guys today who had done well a few miles out from Ballenas. Like the Nanaimo fishery I guess.
We've tried shallow 225 to deep 550 for prawns. Not much luck for the folks I know lately . Most have pulled their traps. Like the last few years, I'm guessing there won't be much of a commercial presence around our area.

Landed two fish right in front of the French Creek marina this morning, around 175ft. on the rigger, one white 12lb. and a 10 lb, deep red.
Several more strikes, but nothing there seconds later.
The plankton bloom is still on, but quite liveable.
Lure-washer

Hey guys, can anyone recommend a good spot to fish out of French Creek? I would like to avoid the crowd in Nanaimo but I'm not exactly sure where to fish out of French Creek. Just find the deep water and drop down to 150-200 ft? Any tips are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Straight out until you hit 180-200ft then tack north for a few miles. Keep your gear right on the bottom. Very easy spot to fish.

Ditto for what Kelly said except I get better results going "with" the current than against it. So which ever way the current is running I will motor either right or left to get to a starting point and then troll. Bottom bouncing with the finder glued on 200ft is usually pretty good.......but right now a lot of fish are hanging in the 130ft-ish zone in the 200ft bottom. Guys that go out in the morning regardless of tide seem to often do good. For reasons that I won't go into here, I usually end up fishing noontime or later......so the first thing I want to know then is what the tides are.....for me, an hour before low slack, during low slack and an hour after low slack work best if it's during the day off F.C. after lunch. Other guys like the evening bite. Morning up to 11a.m. or after 4p.m. is usually when the wind is calmest around here.......once you get past about the 250ft level it starts to drop off deeper pretty quick. Some will go out there, trolling in a straight line toward Lasqueti etc in much deeper water for the "migratories'.....lures down around 120 to 160ft. Thats' hit or miss if you don't know exactly where the fish are at a given moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto for what Kelly said except I get better results going "with" the current than against it. So which ever way the current is running I will motor either right or left to get to a starting point and then troll. Bottom bouncing with the finder glued on 200ft is usually pretty good.......but right now a lot of fish are hanging in the 130ft-ish zone in the 200ft bottom. Guys that go out in the morning regardless of tide seem to often do good. For reasons that I won't go into here, I usually end up fishing noontime or later......so the first thing I want to know then is what the tides are.....for me, an hour before low slack, during low slack and an hour after low slack work best if it's during the day off F.C. after lunch. Other guys like the evening bite. Morning up to 11a.m. or after 4p.m. is usually when the wind is calmest around here.......once you get past about the 250ft level it starts to drop off deeper pretty quick. Some will go out there, trolling in a straight line toward Lasqueti etc in much deeper water for the "migratories'.....lures down around 120 to 160ft. Thats' hit or miss if you don't know exactly where the fish are at a given moment.

Thanks so much for the info guys. Really appreciate you taking the time to give me all those details. I will try tomorrow and report back.

Beauty And The Beasts

Hey everyone, I was out this afternoon bottom fishing and got into some nice Ling Cod. I had one on that peeled some serious line and anchored itself onto the bottom. This fish was HEAVY, I would gain abit of line, then back to the bottom. This went on for awhile until the leader snapped. The line looked like it went through a blender. I wanted to have a closer look but it was probably a large female so best she got away. I feel the smaller legal size Ling Cod are the best eating anyways. I was hoping I could let her go instead of her letting me go!

Western Star

Attachments

• happy ling.jpg
    happy ling.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 461
Hey guys how is the visibility these days? Planning to possibly come home and film something underwater that will require a decent viz. cheers.

Got out today and fished around Winchelsea island just out of Schooner. Had action all day and nabbed a 22, 15, 12. Lost another keeper beside the boat. Released 10 undersized. Most of the action in the 130-150 foot range. Best I've ever done fishing this area!

Hey guys how is the visibility these days? Planning to possibly come home and film something underwater that will require a decent viz. cheers.

Visibility has been great Kelly

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Attempting to attach a photo

Got out today and fished around Winchelsea island just out of Schooner. Had action all day and nabbed a 22, 15, 12. Lost another keeper beside the boat. Released 10 undersized. Most of the action in the 130-150 foot range. Best I've ever done fishing this area!

Congratulations Joey great to hear you did well.
h.e.h

Out yesterday off French Creek. Caught 4. Two were about 45cm...released totally unharmed. Two were keepers about 8 and 9 lbs. Black and Glow hoochy behind Gold Betsy down near the bottom in 200ft of water. Did not mark many fish or bait. Keepers had a 3 inch baitfish in their stomachs.

Congratulations Joey great to hear you did well.
h.e.h

Hey h.e.h.!
Catching all these fish reminded me of fishing with you! You coming over for any fishing? It's hot out of Nanaimo by the sounds of things also. You're welcome to come out on my boat if you'd like and you've always got a place to park your boat at my house if needed my friend. Hope you're well!
Joe

Back