ECVI French creek-Nanoose-nanaimo reports

YES! YES!!! MOST DEFINITELY!! I know of Great Ling Spots!! Knock yer socks off BIG!! ..........................................

Actually, the big ones have already been caught around Schooner Cove, years ago. I'm told that Ling grow slowly. I'm also told that 'big' ling are the "protectors of the Habitat". That means they feed on predators near the reef, like macrel, thus guarding the local fry. Catch them and you've caught the "watch dog"

I'm very surprised and disappointed that DFO caved to pressure to open this fishery.
Tom

Tom

mthorton lookup rockfish convservtion areas. The schooner area is closed. I have one location still open that has keepers but they are tough to find now. Use big bait for big fish.

I am quite disappointed they open it as well. I have caught a fair amount of undersized lingcod though. Some more time of non retention for ling cod definitely would help. Anyone been out in the last few days with any reports?

welcome back Kelly, it"s been slow anyway. Lost one to a seal at Sangster last week but have'nt been out since. My buddy Macgregor was out all day thurs. and came in with a 10lber from Gerald.Try to get out tomorrow aft., maybe see you out there.

Greg im gonna fish hard the next 24hrs the weathers looking better. Gonna hit the evening bite at 7 and fish 4-9 tonight then get out there and hit the morning bite and fish 5-9 tommorow. Ill fish ballenas (weather permitting) geralds got to many seals.

Fish arent gone yet. Only got out for about 1.5-2 hours first pass hit 2 fish in the low teens and lost them after a decent scrap. Then hit this 16-17lber. Ballenas 140ft in 150ft of water was the ticket. heading out now
nook-1.jpg

Fished hard this morning 5:30-11:30 first ones on and last ones off the water. Fished ballenas for first hour not a sniff saw a crowd at gerald and figured there was fish. Nope only a few hits and one landed in the 5 hours we fished there. Wind and big waves prevented us from going back to ballenas. Lost one after a brief scrap then landed one border line legal that we released. After a dead spell hit a nice fish in the mid teens and lost it at the net to a seal. Thats why i hate gerald put in the effort just to lose them. we chased it for 30 min and finally saw the fish was gone and the seal was hooked. Shallower than normal 100-150ft. Greg anytime you have a spare spot ill join you. Your boats much nicer to fish in and its nice to fish with someone.

i fished off decourcy a bit the past two days, landed fish each time i went out. Mostly small, biggest was about 12 lbs. Fishing the tide lines.

Fished French Creek for 2 hours mid-morning this morning. 2 nice fish on, one landed...20 lb marbled. One at 200'[:0] one at 60' along the 50 fathom line...my usual 5" copcar/green n glow flasher combo.

quote:Originally posted by urchin

YES! YES!!! MOST DEFINITELY!! I know of Great Ling Spots!! Knock yer socks off BIG!! ..........................................

Actually, the big ones have already been caught around Schooner Cove, years ago. I'm told that Ling grow slowly. I'm also told that 'big' ling are the "protectors of the Habitat". That means they feed on predators near the reef, like macrel, thus guarding the local fry. Catch them and you've caught the "watch dog"

I'm very surprised and disappointed that DFO caved to pressure to open this fishery.
Tom

Tom

If that is true.. Why when I got out do I catch huge lings? The ones I catch are big enough to eat a whole medium sized rockcod in one bite! Over 20LBS easy.. Some of them seem to swallow the whole rockcod .. and bite the line above them! snapping 50lb line like thread! Oddly enough I never caught anything like this with jigs around there.. But when you use bait you can't seem to keep em off.

fished ballenas again tonight. It was not my day. There were 4 boats and 4 everyone got a fish but me. The three i saw were two 8s and at 20. caught at 140-150ft.

Ps rob i dont believe your consistantly gettin lings over an honest 20lbs. They are few and far between here now

Rob Warren...are you a fishing guide? I understand 'hype' when your livelihood depends on it and that gives me no problem. However, it seems as tho you have a knack of catching monster ling!! In a 'fished out' fishery!! My god man, please tell us how and where!! And then why.

Hi Kelly! Sorry about the seeming hijack of your post [B)]

Regards, Tom

big lings grow big because they're smart enough not to bite jigs. Thats just my opinion, not fact. All the real big lings i catch around gabriola are ones that bite onto rockcod or tommycod that i have on. Big ones love the real thing.

It's not so bad Kelly, at least you got out. I was doing chores and spending some quality family time. I usually fish all day Mon. but gotta work today, Roman's Ma is on Holidays Til next week. Gonna try to get out some time this week. I'm goin to Winter Harbour on the 18th for a week, feels like Christmas when I was a kid. See ya

quote:Originally posted by urchin

Rob Warren...are you a fishing guide? I understand 'hype' when your livelihood depends on it and that gives me no problem. However, it seems as tho you have a knack of catching monster ling!! In a 'fished out' fishery!! My god man, please tell us how and where!! And then why.

Hi Kelly! Sorry about the seeming hijack of your post [B)]

Regards, Tom

Was a fishing guide.. now a firewood guy. My boat is all shinned up and ready for sale. I don't want to get all that blood on her. Someone take me out with them I'll show you what I mean. I'd have loved to have seen the fishery when it was good, seems as how I could fill my boat with them now. I've often thought they should send a biologist out with me. I'd prove the lings are not fished out.
As for how and where. Try rolling a herring on the bottom like you would for big springs. See what happens. Where.. well there are a few spots I know of 5 minutes from my house. Why.. Because I can.. Anytime I want, and there tasty and the carcass makes really good prawn bait.

"Why..because i can" good answer. Rob you may be able to hit a few but dont think the fishery is in great shape. I hope you were joking.

Greg anytime you need to fill that seat give me a shout i can split gas or something. You didnt miss much today 50kmh winds so it was lumpy. I might go out this eve if it settles. Good luck in winter harbour i still remember losing the fish of a lifetime off the kelp bed near the lighthouse.

quote:Originally posted by kelly

"Why..because i can" good answer. Rob you may be able to hit a few but dont think the fishery is in great shape. I hope you were joking.

Back