Duckworth

Hey guys!
New here to forum. Just sold my business (read that retiring) and am have been looking actively for an aluminum boat. Looked at several manufacturers and it Boiled down to a Duckworth. By my homework seems the best built. A true reverse chine amongst other factors. I am looking at a new stock 2011 195 Pacific Navigator. Last 2011 available 19 foot. The boat new is around $45 g's and the lowest price the dealer (Monti's out of Duncan) will go is $38g's. Am I paying too much. Dealer said at that price it is his cost. I would greatly appreciate any worthwhile comments as to price point and my choice. Much appreciated!

Shopped for one and found the same numbers.
38k is a lot of dough but you get a heck of a boat.
I do think 38k is his bottom number and may be a good deal.
You will still need to rig it out with GPS, downriggers, VHF and kicker.
You don't mention how much HP but it's good to bump it up.
I'm running a 19 advantage with pod and 115 Yamaha but would rather have the navigator.
No boat is perfect but you can't go wrong with your choose.

If you don't mind used look south as there is good deals out there.
GLG

Oh and welcome to the forum.

I have had a couple 19 foot aluminum boats and I have had both the 115 and the 150, Go with the 150 if you can!! I love the pod or extend transom this makes it a totally different boat and is worth the money forsure. Duckworth are in the middle to the higher end in the cookie cutter aluminum boats and at $38 if it has a 150 I think thats a good price. Have you looked down south there are a lot more duckworth for sale down there to compare the price. Duckworth is a well build boat in my eyes!!!

agreed with the 150 as it would be a better choice.
If this motor goes "pop" that would be the replacement.

Hey GLG and JAC wow thank you so much for your support and so quick! I feel much more relieved (read that my bank book) that you experienced fella's think the Duckworth is a good buy. YES it comes with a Yamaha 150 hp.
It has deluxe gauge package wiper, stainless downrigger brackets, hyd steering, livewell with cutting board lid, remote trolling bracket, swim and grab handle and seats riding on air ride pedestal. The dealer Brad seems like a good guy and his wife was very pleasant and helpful. I would like to support business on the the Island and that is why I will shop here. I priced out these boats in the West coast (Oregon) and they are actually anywhere from 1-2000 more! N-e suggested sites to compare Duckworth costs in the south? Thanks again guys! I would as well appreciate some help in other aspects of fishing down the road here. I love to learn from experienced fisherman. Is there a course on Salmon techniques and Halibut? I live in Nanaimo. Cheers!!

Hope it's the 5 window and not the 3 window.
Don't like the 3 window ones.
I assume the kicker bracket is part of the pod not on a separate bracket.
Dual wipers are a must and they are very nice.
Wish I had air ride as all tin boats ride are some what harsh.
Welded down rigger brackets are aluminum not SS but it matters not.
Live well is, lets just say not for salmon fishing.
Converted my back one to wash down pump.

There are some draw back to these boats but if you can live with them you will be happy.
- the floor does not drain as good as I would like to see. (could be just my model)
- the sides of the boat get dock rash rather easy.
- Get the dealer to setup the hull and motor to eliminate any porpoise.
- sharkhide on bare hull needs to be reapplied every 2 years.
- fuel vent caps are crap and should be changed to something better like on a pursuit.

Hope it's not your first boat as there is a learning curve with that added pod.
I find that reverse is a bit tricky and not as responsive as with a convention layout.
All and all it's a heck of a boat and nice to fish out of all year long, thanks to the stand up canvas.

Can't give you any tips about fishing your area as I don't know it.
If you want to go for a burn on mine let me know.
I'm up the road in Comox.
GLG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking at some of these used south of the boarder along with some other brands. What model do you recommend for fishing salmon on the ocean?

Hey again GLG. Thanks for your advice. Yeah, it is 5 window, dual wipers, I agree with the livewell. It is not my first boat but saying that, haven't had any experience with the pod. Is there any way to heat the cabin space if I decide to go out in winter? What, in your opinion is most effective, safe means? Appreciate your help!

I have been looking at some of these used south of the boarder along with some other brands. What model do you recommend for fishing salmon on the ocean?

Frankly there are lot's of good boats out there.
I have always liked the North River myself.
In the duckworth I have the advantage but it's more for river and fresh water boat.
It still works for me as I'm not into going out if it's to snotty out.
Others with other brands would be best to comment on that one.
Oh and I had the bankroll I would go with a silver streak.
GLG

Duckworth has been building good boats for at least 25yrs. I looked at some before and really do like the welds and the finish.

I totally agree there GLG the silver streak would be the way to go. I priced it out comparable to what I am getting and it came in at around 60 g's with 150 hp. Awesome boat builder yes. Thanks for the heater tip. Do not want to use gases or flammable fluids. A rod bending over would cause me to jump at it in a panic, kicking over some heater contraption spilling its contents. Boat up in flames but what the hell I am busting a gut trying to get the fish in. LOL.

I have the Little Buddy and it works great for heating the cabin, the only thing is in the rough it shuts off due to the anti tipping over feature. If you have the coin the Wallas stoves and furnaces are the way to go, great heat.

My 2 bits (I have had a HarberCraft for 10 years):
1. trim tabs are a must...you need to be able to get the bow down to cut the waves.
2. all (I think) of these mass manufactured boats are .25 sides (they are easy to dent and will even distort when you hit waves real hard). the dents are cosmetic and don't hurt performance but look bad.
3. make sure you get enough trailer. all these packages come with marginal trailer and when you load the boat (riggers, gear, heaters, etc.) they are easily overloaded.

Hey looked at thunder jet at latest boat show in Vic. After doing my homework I found out the inside length as well as the beam just weren't big enough for my kids. As well they claim to have a reverse chime but it really isn't. The package they offered was 18 foot boat with 90 hp I wanted to upgrade to 115 because I wanted more push if I had more people with me. The upgrade is more $$$ then I needed down-rigger brackets, wash down hose etc etc and it came out the same price as the Duckworth 195 Pacific Navigator 19 footer with extra tab, all the options I requested WITH a 150 hp Yamaha. AND it has the true reverse chimes. The package handles like a dream on the water. Sitting high, level and stable as a cat walking on a fence. Lucked out because it was the last 2011 model so they gave me a great deal! Monti's of Duncan. Really nice guy, him and his wife. Very informative and no pressure tactics.

I bumped into a guy last summer at Rene and he was absolutely delighted with his Duckworth. Nice boat.

Hey thanks for the support guys on my choice. It is a lot of coin but I think it will hold values somewhat better than most other makes and has everything to make my family feel safe, secure which makes the Wifey very happy. And if you have a happy Wifey, you have a great day on the water.

When you get it I'll come down for a fish on your new boat.
After you get it rigged and learn how to fish your area.
GLG

Back