Best 250 4 stroke on the market

finaddict

Rather than hi-jack the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke thread I'll start a new one;

I too am looking to re-power. I have experienced DI 2 strokes and pouring $40 + gallon 2 stroke oil into them makes my skin crawl. So which new (2011 or newer) 4 stroke 250 would you buy? Mercury, Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki.

Here's my summary so far:

1. Yamaha - Best reputation, good dealer network and a price that seems to reflect it.
2. Mercury Verado - Supercharged and outweighs all the competition by over 100 lbs.Dealer network good, but Reliability of motor?
3. Honda - first year out for the 250 I am inclined to never buy version 1.0 of anything, but I DO love my 8 h.p, Honda kicker
4. Suzuki - Lots of talk about good solid reliable motors, and the lowest initial price, but almost no dealer presence in lower mainland

I know there is going to be almost as many opinions as posters, but I am looking for objective viewpoints and this is by far the most knowledgeable SW forum.

Brant Marine in Delta are Suzuki dealers and good, honest guys. Slap a big 'suzy on her and never look back..

Yamaha is the leader in the 4-stroke category. Suzuki is also an excellent motor but just like you said the dealer network is smaller.

I know you said you hate putting expensive 2-stroke oil in the tank but the new Etecs barely sip that stuff when they are set to use XD100. During the first 20-50 hours or so the computer in the motor mixes more oil into the fuel. This is to help break the motor in. After that period they use about half the oil of the older two strokes.

I would stay away from the mercs, too heavy and a belt driven supercharger that has been somewhat problematic. If you insist on 4-stroke then Yamaha is the way to go. If you are willing to explore 2-stroke the Etec is the way to go. Check out lordshipmarine.com, there are some great sales and bonus warranty available right now.

Cheers

There's still oil changes and more maintenance to do with 4 stokes, it's just do you want a big cost a few times a year or little
Costs (oil) at every fill up with 2 strokes.

As regards to the best 4 stroke, if there was a single best one no body else would be making them. Go with whatever local dealer you want to enter into a relationship with.

The Yamaha has my vote, the only real issue they have is with the 150s and its balancer but the bigger motors are solid. Just make sure to get those valves done periodically.

Another reference to big costs for 4 stroke, most guys will put less than 100hrs a year on ( excluding any guides ) 1 oil change 20min and $60 bucks.
I put between 200 and 250 hours a year so its 2 to 3 oil changes a year and the leg oil 2 times.
I will re-power with either Yamaha or Mercury 4 stroke I had the Etec on my mind but after talking with the Coast Guard and a local water
taxi company I dismissed the thought.

1 suzuki would be my first choice hands down.(bridgeview marine is a dealer still i believe) lots of these around and few complaints
2 Yamaha not sure i trust them after all the major corrosion issues over in past and lack of support for the corrosion DEFECT
3 honda it might be the first out but there products are bomb proof and usually of the highest quality...... which you pay for.
4 merc i don't like "performace" engines for daily operations and when you add superchargers to save weight they stop being work horses(not a merc fan)
5 2 stroke etec opti whatever, i would never buy another 2 stroke no matter how they dress it up oil tank in the boat expensive oil ,gimics about lack of service no thanks

Another reference to big costs for 4 stroke, most guys will put less than 100hrs a year on ( excluding any guides ) 1 oil change 20min and $60 bucks.
I put between 200 and 250 hours a year so its 2 to 3 oil changes a year and the leg oil 2 times.
I will re-power with either Yamaha or Mercury 4 stroke I had the Etec on my mind but after talking with the Coast Guard and a local water
taxi company I dismissed the thought.

First year you need an oil change at 20hrs then another at 100hrs on yamaha 4-strokes. That's 120 bucks if you change the oil yourself. More if the dealer does it. If you run less than 100 hours per year that's not a lot of 2-stroke oil either. Makes a difference if you subtract that cost from the 2-stroke oil.

I'd be interested in hearing what your coast guard buddies are saying about the etecs. The branch at the south terminal of YVR runs twin 175 etecs on their zodiacs and had nothing but great things to say when we bumped into them at the fuel docks on a weekly basis in Richmond last summer.

Fin, check out the seaswirl forums if you havent already. Weight is going to be an issue. My friends 21 had water coming in through the scuppers which was fixed with one way valves and needs trim tabs because of porposing. I think the Verado and Honda is out of the question due to their wieght. Suzuki is only 60lbs heavier than Yamaha. 2 stroke again? 2005 or newer opti or Etec.

I think of the outboard brands like American trucks. It's such a competitive market they are all pretty good.

Fin, check out the seaswirl forums if you havent already. Weight is going to be an issue. My friends 21 had water coming in through the scuppers which was fixed with one way valves and needs trim tabs because of porposing. I think the Verado and Honda is out of the question due to their wieght. Suzuki is only 60lbs heavier than Yamaha. 2 stroke again? 2005 or newer opti or Etec.

I think of the outboard brands like American trucks. It's such a competitive market they are all pretty good.
Thanks James, The 2300 is rated for 300 ponies on the back end and I have seen many with twin 150'sthat are still well below the scuppers. I am not worried about the weight issue from a floatation standpoint. Just would prefer to choose how to load the extra 100 + lbs rather than have it in the engine.

The more I look at the options, the more I lean to Yamaha or Suzuki.

The guys I talked to in Mooya Bay last year said they have had leg problems and some thing else that I don't remember.
He did say, they do put them through there paces.
The guys in Campbell river I talked to, were having issues as well and the motors had been in the shop multiple times in the last 6 months.
Blind channel had nothing but problems with 2 different Etec's, so much so they purchased a new boat with a diesel.

I have also heard a lot of good things about the Etec's, I was merely pointing out it was enough to sway my thoughts.
There are probably just as many bad stories about 4 strokes.

Hey, as we discussed last week at Harbour Chandler - my vote is Suzuki. I got rid of the Yami's with only 200 hours. Now I find out that was a good decision - they have major corrosion issues - don't go there man. Merc...friends don't let friends drive Merc's. Probably the best advice I heard on this forum was find someone who is great at service and buy their engines...especially if you don't plan on running them for lots of hours.

handsdown

Suzuki 250 would be my # 1 ( Marpole Marine - great guy , knows his stuff , very honest too )
, not sure what the coast guard told the other guy about the E-Tecs , the guys i speak to there ( Bamfield Coast Guard ),
love them !! so do I , cant go wrong with Bombardier.... Ive spoke to dozens of guys that run them outta wcvi , all the same ,
love them too !!! , im sure theres a lemon here and there , always is...
crazy low and top end power ,great fuel , low oil consumption , almost 0 smell..
twin 150's again !!!, if a deal was ta come my way , in a heartbeat...

( sorry for draggin a 2 stroke into ur 4 stroke thread !! : )

p.s. lol...

Boatings NOT cheap.. : )

gd luck

FD

Last edited by a moderator:
Back