Dry Brine or Wet Brine

Awesome Bones.. Love the video.. Might just send my fish for you to do... Big .. Thank you for all the times. want to do so ling or other fish some day and that helps a lot.. Great site.. Great people on here!! Chhers

I make up a big batch of all the sugar and salt in a busboy or my LARGE bowl and mix it thoroughly so its completely blended in, as I am usually doing about 50 lbs or more of salmon at a time I Xs it by 3 or 4.
I usually do my batch in the evening then let sit for 2 days and wash and lay on racks on the last evening and put a fan on it and put in smoker in the am for any wheres from 8 to 12 hours depending on how cold and humid it is outside.
I have built a special rack that holds it all as my homemade smoker holds about 120 lbs of fish and I use oven racks that holds 2 of them per shelf.
As for dissolved salt most of it I assume as I put a heavy amount of brine on top of fish and it turns into a soupy mixture of brown liquid.

If your ever in sooke give me a shout and ill show you the set up its quite easy to make and do..

good luck Wolf

Back