Downrigger issues.

fishinmagician

I have seen multiple posts" My unit stops working and after 10 minutes it works again" or "My unit will go down but not up." :The unit will stop going up and the unit will spool down automatically"Have you had these issues ? Well I would bet most have had or will have these issues at some point.
Walker units:
This unit is a good tough unit but it like all have a few faults. Stop issues and shut down issues are usually the same fault. There are not a lot of moving parts, other than the motor or the gear box. Some failure issues are caused by worn brushes in the motor which will need to be replaced @ cost about $100 at a rewind shop.
Before you do that however you better check the most common fault : There are 2 teflon bushings on the drive shaft between the housing. These bushings prevent steel on steel contact. They are coated with Teflon grease from the factory. Most are never greased again after purchase. The grease dries out the Teflon wears out and you either get steel on steel contact or a very tight fit from the lack of grease. What happens is the excessive drag that results causes the motor to overwork. The thermally limit switch engages to stop the motor from burn out and the unit stops. As soon as it cool, away goes the motor. The fault is not the thermal switch but a friction problem.
SOLUTION: pull off the spool and clutch. Remove the back cover (4 screws) then remove the 3 screw on the drive housing. Pull the motor and gear box out. Look in the housing and you should find 2 split plastic looking shims. Take them out and if they are worn or missing replace them. When you put them in, grease them first with lithium grease. One shim goes to the front of the housing the other to the rear. Before you reinstall the gear box and the motor, pull the dust cover off the gear box. Wash the gear box out getting all the old grease out. Fill the gearbox with new lithium grease. Now look at the top of the gearbox and you with see a screw with a standard slot screw driver with a lock nut. Pull it out and fill with grease. Put it all back together and you are good to go.

A post for Scotty and Cannon will follow.

Cheers

One minor matter to do with Walker units-the company has been sold back to a USA based company no matter what the website says so parts might be an issue.

Bert's Custom Tackle
1250 Ladd Road
Walled Lake, MI 48390 US
Phone: 800-367-3726

One minor matter to do with Walker units-the company has been sold back to a USA based company no matter what the website says so parts might be an issue.

Bert's Custom Tackle
1250 Ladd Road
Walled Lake, MI 48390 US
Phone: 800-367-3726

Know that. As the motor and the gearbox are actually a windshield wiper motor for a Vauxhall that you can buy for $32 dollars at ALI express. the only part that you cant order is the pilot shaft which I make if needed on any lathe.( any machine shop can make you one for $60.00) By far the most common parts are available on Ebay. The bushings are also easy to make from 1/8 Teflon and a pair of snips. The washer are easy to obtain as is the clutch center also made of Teflon or similar. The curved washer , easy , use a 3/4 socket and a press or a vice and a 1/2 socket and a washer >22 cents at home depot, and make your own. Just put the washer between the two sockets and close the vice till you get the curve you want. Use a rose bud to heat the washer first if you want.. Fix it we can. So says Yoda

Know that. As the motor and the gearbox are actually a windshield wiper motor for a Vauxhall that you can buy for $32 dollars at ALI express. the only part that you cant order is the pilot shaft which I make if needed on any lathe.( any machine shop can make you one for $60.00) By far the most common parts are available on Ebay. The bushings are also easy to make from 1/8 Teflon and a pair of snips. The washer are easy to obtain as is the clutch center also made of Teflon or similar. The curved washer , easy , use a 3/4 socket and a press or a vice and a 1/2 socket and a washer >22 cents at home depot, and make your own. Just put the washer between the two sockets and close the vice till you get the curve you want. Use a rose bud to heat the washer first if you want.. Fix it we can. So says Yoda

Any body that has one that doesn't work.... let me know and I will buy it for parts. wink wink.

You can make the Teflon clutch washer from a sheet of Teflon. Take a 2 and 1/2 socket, use your grinder and sharpen the face edge. Heat the socket and punch out the washer. don't overheat it. Good old Canadian backwoods, we can fixer eh...

Back