Downrigger fire

Grace underfire

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this, so if the mods want to move it, please do.

Anyway I had my boat parked in my driveway while I was cleaning my fish yesterday. Before I got back to my boat, my neighbor (thank goodness) knocked on the door to tell me there was a fire on the boat. The rigger was on fire (from what appears to be a short where the cable meets the rigger) and the fiberglass had a bit of damage. Fortunately it hadn't got too far before I got the fire out an the rigger off the boat.

Anyway, I won't be leaving my riggers plugged in unattended again. Hopefully this story will save someone else from making the same mistake.

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this, so if the mods want to move it, please do.

Anyway I had my boat parked in my driveway while I was cleaning my fish yesterday. Before I got back to my boat, my neighbor (thank goodness) knocked on the door to tell me there was a fire on the boat. The rigger was on fire (from what appears to be a short where the cable meets the rigger) and the fiberglass had a bit of damage. Fortunately it hadn't got too far before I got the fire out an the rigger off the boat.

Anyway, I won't be leaving my riggers plugged in unattended again. Hopefully this story will save someone else from making the same mistake.
That happened to a friend who lost his whole boat

What is the condition of the inline fuse that should be protecting that rigger from a short? Proper size? Good thing it was powered up so it could happen in your driveway, rather than out on the water.

What is the condition of the inline fuse that should be protecting that rigger from a short? Proper size? Good thing it was powered up so it could happen in your driveway, rather than out on the water.
Might be a good time for the fire extinguisher minimum recommendation talk as well.

Aren't downriggers recomened to be direct wired to the battery? If so wouldn't the battery switch to off be a non factor
Mine are wired direct to house/deep cycle battery along with one automatic bilge pump on my small boat as per the recommendation of someone more knowledgeable than me, so yes non-factor in my boat.
This is a good reminder for all of us to check fuses, corrosion and extinguishers.

from an electrician ,

there is no need to run them directly to your battery imo , unless its a long distance , like 10 or more feet from the power source ,( im guessing) ,then your dealing with Voltage Drop , causing performance issues , I have mine run to the Main Circuit Panel ( 4-5 feet away ),by my batteries in the Back , on 30 amp fuses. Alot of times i forget to shut off that particular Panel Switch . I prefer unplugging the riggers and playing it safe , more of a visual from outside the boat when im leaving . Im guessing the switch shorts out with water/salt , putting the rigger in Raise mode , no where for the ball to go , windings heat up then issue gets nasty. dont think a fire extinguisher helps much on a short circuit , kinda like throwing water on a engaged toaster lol , full melt down..... careful.... fuses and breakers do fail time to time !!

add : ( on larger boats ) only thing i recommend running straight to your battery, would be bilge pumps !!! for obvious reasons

i leave them plugged in when im using them boat on my trips , then unplug them until i come back to the marina
M2B

Last edited:
Aren't downriggers recomened to be direct wired to the battery? If so wouldn't the battery switch to off be a non factor

If you have an in-line fuse, sure, I don’t think Scotty tells you to only do it that way, but lots of us have a sub panel with the fuses. Mine was wired by a marine electrician and that’s the way he did it. You can also get those fuses that reset themselves which is handy if you do wire them to a sub panel.

There are so many small boats that don’t have sophisticated wiring systems where the in-line fuse makes sense, but I don’t think it’s a cure all for all types of systems

I have an inlne breaker near the riggers and when it is on I wired a pilot light on the dash which glows. I know right away to turn the breaker to off when leaving the boat.

I, like many on this forum, have a battery switch. It is turned off before I leave the boat or put it on the trailer after every fishing trip! Not only does this avoid battery drain and possible fires it cuts down on electrolysis.

Back