Downrigger Cable/wire

twinwinds

Anyone know where i can find some downrigger wire thats thicker than what they sell in the gear stores? I think 150 lb is the thickest? 200/300 would be nice.(i am in the Victoria area)

cheers

Are you sure you want to be leashed to the bottom with 300# cable?

If it's a more reliable wire you want look for the Cannon product much less prone to snapping than what Scotty sells.

394440.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the Cannon over Scotty, if you are talking SS #316 grade or better but Scotty now has #316 available on some of the downriggers, so they should also stock it? Cannon does have #304 on their smaller spools, so watch for that. FYI… there is about 30 different grades of stainless steel and some of them really don’t get along that well with saltwater. #301 and #304 both are used for marine, but they aren’t as good as #316, and also there are FOUR different grades of #316, which I don’t know if they are all suitable for the marine salt environment? I would at least ask and make sure it is considered “Marine Grade”.

Also have to agree with, are you sure you want 250-300 test? Might want to rethink that? It really isn’t needed and that could end up breaking booms and/or gunwales and/or pulling mounting screws out and/or just flat pulling the downrigger off? If anything, I would think you would want thinner cable (less blowback) and really not sure if there really is a need for stronger?

I have been looking for cable also, so I already had this book marked. I did run across this company and was going to check them out myself. We do know those downrigger manufacturers don’t make their own cable. If you are looking for something different this company should be able to provide you with just about anything, might want?

Malin Company, Inc.
5400 Smith Road
Cleveland, Ohio 44142
Phone: 216-267-9080
Fax: 216-267-9077
Toll Free: 1-800-967-9697

I have never bought anything from them, but it certainly appears they have just about anything we might ever consider using and one of these might be the ticket you are looking for. Look real close at that Malin-49 that stuff would be 49 individual strands, 7 x 7.
:
Malin-7 Performed Seven
Strand SS Leader Cable Both pre-marked and un-marked cable are available in 30 ft. pocket pack dispenser and spools of 300, 400, 600, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000 and 10,000 feet.
Cable Dia. lb. Test
1x7 .010 15 lb.
1x7 .012 20 lb.
1x7 .015 30 lb.
1x7 .016 40 lb.
1x7 .018 50 lb.
1x7 .021 60 lb.
1x7 .024 80 lb.
1x7 .028 105 lb.
1x7 .030 135 lb.
1x7 .034 170 lb.
1x7 .036 215 lb.
1x7 .039 250 lb.

Malon-7 Nylon Coated S.S.
Seven Strand Leader Wire Both pre-marked and un-marked cable are available in 30 ft. pocket pack dispenser and spools of 200, 300, 600, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000 and 10,000 feet.
Cable Dia. lb. Test
1x7 .022 15 lb.
1x7 .024 20 lb.
1x7 .026 30 lb.
1x7 .028 40 lb.
1x7 .030 50 lb.
1x7 .032 60 lb.
1x7 .038 90 lb.
1x7 .041 135 lb.
1x7 .046 170 lb.
1x7 .048 210 lb.
1x7 .052 250 lb.

Malin-49
Malin-49 is made of high quality stainless steel. It is constructed using 49 individual strands, 7 x 7. Trident 49 is extremely strong and flexible. These properties make it excellent for use as leaders, trolling line, deep dropping, hook rigs and all sorts of marine rigging applications. Malin-49 is available from 80 lb. test to 920 lb. test. It is available packaged on our handy pocket pack, which includes 30 feet of cable. It is also packaged on spools of 150, 250, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000 and 10,000 feet. Finishes include both the dark coffee color and bright.
Cable Dia. lb. Test
3x7 .031 110 lb.
7x7 .027 80 lb.
7x7 .034 160 lb.
7x7 .049 270 lb.
7x7 .062 480 lb.
7x7 .094 920 lb
http://www.malinco.com/fishing-stainless-cable.html
http://www.malinco.com/pdf/malin_2001_brochure.pdf
So there you are – take your pick! J

Thanks for the info guys! I just find the thinner cable from Scotty tends to kink and break quite easily and thicker stuff lasted a lot longer. I used to buy wire from a place in coombs that is no longer there. used 250 lb with no problems. I use 15lb in the summer and like to use 20lb in winter so blow back was never an issue.......

cheers

If you do go biggger make sure you put a 100# spit ring on the system as you dont want to bend booms or do damage to you other gear.
I use a really good sampo swival then a split ring then a spreader bar and then whatever snap you use as the spreader bar you can get on any type of snap you may like to use.

Good luck Wolf

Hey Dan, are you stuck on wire ?
if not, try 200lb Power pro.
no more crimps, rust or fray's to deal with.
i've been using for 3 seasons now and would never go back to wire.

:)

Thicker means quite a lot more drag/lift, so have you considered braid. I run 200 pound power - pro and love it.
cheers

Another thing to consider......... i tried the heavier wire and besides the increased blowback, on my Scotty downriggers the cannonballs are WAY deeper than the counter says - it really throws the counter out by 20%

Hey Scott, I am stuck on wire! I imagine if i tried Power pro I'd like it but as my wife says i am stubborn when it comes to trying new things...............

nice avatar, best looking canuck yet ! :)
Fishtofuno pulled out a gooder too!
Twinwinds.... If ya wanna try some braid I have a spool or 6 thats you can throw on to give a whirl....

[Disclaimer... This is not a GLG deal... these spools are unused]
;)

If you don't want it....... I understand ;)

Put whatever you want on the riggers ... heck half the time I dont even look at the counters I send it down bounce bottom bring it up 10 ft and carry on and mostly watch the sounder the most for depth if it bounces bring it up another 10 ft.
Alot of times you get blow back with anything you use your down fishing 180 ft plus then throw in some tide a bit of wind etc not often you get "perfect" days in the winter to fish properly one way you get blow back the other way none.
it amazes me how some get excited about a 5 to 10 lb winter and hammer them????? if we got that size in the summer you would normally toss it back looking for a 20 + lber......

Wolf

If you want to use a really good wire -Give Super Maxi #185lb a try. Good quaility wire and has a extra wire in it & doesn't fray.Good review from thoses that have used it.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
| <°)))>< <°)))><
| <°)))>< <°)))><
|
|
¿ >°)))><

I heard that Power Pro or any braid could void the warranty on Scotties??? Any truth to that? You guys using Power Pro are pretty happy with it hey? I've thought many times about going to it.

Gray Wolf

Cheers Gray Wolf,

I had to replace the line spools on two of my electric riggers this summer. Both were covered under warranty. However, I have been sure to use the braid that Scotty sells to ensure that any warranty issues that could arise would not be significant. While braid is low stretch it does have some and I am wondering if a very light braid (under 180lbs) could possibly become a warranty issue - I use the 180 lbs value as that is the lightest that Scotty sells. Personally I am still using the 250 lbs Scotty Braid.

SO...that is a long winded explanation that BRAID per se will not void your warranty as Scotty sells their own braid downrigger cable in both 250 lbs and 180 lbs. Could you have an 'issue' in using Power Pro or other brands of braid? I would 'guess' that if you kept the braid to a premium type (low stretch) and ensured it was a minimum 180 lbs test you shouldn't have issues. However...if you do break a spool it might not be a bad idea to spin the braid off before you take it in for warranty. ;)

Thanks Fishing Guide.........I didn't know Scotty sold a braid.

Yes they do... paid a bit more for it than the other brands, but thought that if there were to be any problems arise from using it then the problems couldn't be blamed on an aftermarket product. It works great, switched one rigger on the boat over to it, had to get new trip beads and place them above release clips so that the release clips don't slide up the line with rod line tension. A noticeable amount of reduced blowback over the other rigger with 150# SS wire, was amazed to see the difference. Only been on for a couple of months, have to see how it stands up over time.

Had a warranty issue on a Scotty rigger (it was loaded with 200 # Power Pro) and they fixed it, and no flack about the line at all.

Back