downrigger braid

I don't use rope eyes. Just tie to the eye of the downrigger ball

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

read up on the downrigger hints and tips page

quite a few of us use 4'-6' of tuna cord or gangion to the ball
and join this loop to loop to the main braid

this way you dont need any stop's
the loop knots will trip the auto stop
and stop the ball so there just in the water for you or where you want them.

tie a big coastal lok swivel to the end and clip your ball on or off as you wish

I use the Tuna cord and then a snubber. I can drag a ball on the bottom and rarely get hooked up. I bought a crimper to make the tuna cord gangion/snubber combo using double crimps on both ends.

I was looking at the Scotty termination. For less than $10 looks good. Big Coastlock snap, big swivel and heavy cord. 8'. Looks close to what would cost to build.

I use the Tuna cord and then a snubber. I can drag a ball on the bottom and rarely get hooked up. I bought a crimper to make the tuna cord gangion/snubber combo using double crimps on both ends.

I use Scotty braid to the snubber and no issues even when bouncing, haven't dropped a ball. But what is the purpose of a gangion?? Seems redundant.

Buy using the ganglion your release clips won't slide on the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buy using the ganglion your release clips won't slide on the line.
another plus is when pulling the balls in your grabbing onto a superthin line which i can assure you can slice through skin
i use the scotty weight retrievers and the thicker cord does not slice into the dounut as much ...

i dont use snubbers as i want to know if the balls are hitting bottom hence why i run bells on the end of my boom's

another plus is when pulling the balls in your grabbing onto a superthin line which i can assure you can slice through skin
i use the scotty weight retrievers and the thicker cord does not slice into the dounut as much ...

i dont use snubbers as i want to know if the balls are hitting bottom hence why i run bells on the end of my boom's

How do you rig your bells wildthing? Are they removable when cruising or is it jingle all the way?

i made my bells from a SS spice pot and there on the outer two all the time
as if i run my middle rigger i always fish it higher
don't hear them running and they bounce usually when the big'un is tugging as well.....:D

Attachments

• IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 346
That appears to be his angle gauge
Tells him when his blowback is just right

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

That appears to be his angle gauge
Tells him when his blowback is just right
got me......... yep only run it on one side trolling speed gauge

set the pulley one vertical inline which is fixed on the end of the boom with the two small ss screws
the one on the boom is bent up and just tie zapped in place but can be pivoted to the angle you wish your gear to run at

my steering is port so i set it on my starboard side and when i get them to algin up i know i am at a desired trolling speed through the water

really simple idea which Scotty did not want to run with " so here you go for free "

Attachments

• IMAG0094.jpg
    IMAG0094.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 320
  • IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 322
Not sure I understand the plastic tabs ?
we fish in all kinds of current, but I can't say they would actually change anything ?

That is the nice thing about his blowback guage. Will let you troll close to the same water speed in any current. Measures blowback. Which if running against a current will be the same water speed with a slower over bottom speed.

Back