Down rigger tips

Hye guys im just going to bump this thread instead of making a new one since Im sure there has been a million threads about it but this is new to me so......

How many of you guys made the switch to braid? Still love it? I heard the clip slips? Just read about using the stacker clip, mabey the best way to go? I know most guys say power pro. There is a store near me right now that has a super sale two kinds of scotty line 150ft of 200 test this 'Dyneema' http://www.basspro.com/Scotty-Premium-Braided-Dyneema-Downrigger-Line/product/10212409/ this is a grey looking line. The other is a browny color and says 'extra low drag' and is a 'spectra' or 200ft of 175. So is braid that awesome? Should I just pay more for power pro?

There is so much info im finding it hard to figure out.

I dont know if the matters but I dont have long arm or swivels and dont plan on going more the 150ft I think lol.

Can some one give me there pros and cons?

ps if I need some knots tide Im coming to you sharphooks! nice knot job on the first page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the braid. Haven't switched over to or tried power pro on the down rigger but do use Scotty's braid. Yes the clips slip but there are many ways to solve that (many mentioned in this thread). Even if you don't think you're going to troll with the riggers out more than 150', spool them with 400 or 500' of line. The braid lasts a long time and the hardware on the end will last longer if you occasionally clip off some and re-tie. Also, for winter chinook and even spring springs, you often want to be on or very near the bottom in water that is deeper than 150'. In the big scheme of things, an extra $20 or $30 for the extra cable length is insubstantial relative to other fishing related expenses.

Go with 200lb power pro, the best in my opinion.
I borrowed the picture attached from Bigredsnapper to show the best way of rigging them.
attach your release clip to the rubber snubber and no sliding.

scotty.jpg

Go with 200lb power pro, the best in my opinion.
I borrowed the picture attached from Bigredsnapper to show the best way of rigging them.
attach your release clip to the rubber snubber and no sliding.

View attachment 4978

i put fresh 200lb power pro on at the beginning of the year and have never lost so may balls in one season! Im going to be using 225 or 250 next time around.

oh ok so thats why the heavier test, incase you get hung up less chance of losing your ball? I was wonder why 175-200...

they were breaking at the knot or just above the knots. i was using the gangion line aswell for the last 10'. No nicks or bottom bumping either.
Tried a few different knots but everynow and then one would always give out, usually when dropping the gear and hitting the break when i got to depth

What got me on this was I had out around 90 ft (stainless wire) which I had never had out on this downrigger and when I went to bring it up it broke off the line right at the water level at the top. I thought that dr sounded a bit grindy or jerky could something else caused this to break other then a fray?

also like other peoples opinions! so far im 1-1 im putting you against nerb because loss of balls is defeinlty a negitve

Drop your gear slowly and apply the brake slowly. I attach the ball directly to the hook at the end of the braid and clip into the top eye of that swivel with my release clip.
I re-tie the braid to hook using a Palomar knot after about every three days fishing. Haven't lost a ball since I started doing this. However, I'm not a bottom dragger.

they were breaking at the knot or just above the knots. i was using the gangion line aswell for the last 10'. No nicks or bottom bumping either.
Tried a few different knots but everynow and then one would always give out, usually when dropping the gear and hitting the break when i got to depth

Been using the Scotty locks since they came out...still got the original set, actually...I haven't had any issues with the locks, but I always dab some petroleum jelly in the key slots. The rubber caps that came with them deep-sixed shortly after installation...

Sounds like electrolysis if it broke right at the water level. Check your zincs.

Really!? It was right at water level. This is my first boat so I am just learning. Thankyou! I did see some zinc plates on the motor but havent checked them recently. How do you tell if there still good?

There is always one dr has sounds chunky/grindy at spots. I thought it was just the cable binding up a bit or something. Tho I couldnt see anything wrong with the cable.

If you change over to braid you won't have that problem...
I ran wire for years, lots of break offs, lots of splinters, crimps letting go etc.
Many people are still believers in wire and all the power to them.
However I really believe if you learn how to rig the braid and the tie the correct knots,
you will never go back to wire.
JMHO

Lots of great ideas here. Here is one for the Scotty Downrigger locks. I found that those little rubber caps are very little use and kept popping off. I used to work in the logging industry, as a HD field Mechanic. Did a lot of hydraulic repairs. Most of the hydraulic fittings came with plastic caps to protect the surfaces. I was hoping they might be some that were a good fit over the lock ends, so I went of to Cowichan Hydraulics here in Campbell river today. It took a couple of minutes but they came up with the right size. Fit like a glove. Should cut down on the water intrusion. Here is a couple of pictures before and after.IMG_5445.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5446.jpg
    IMG_5446.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 286
I will agree with you Craven, I use the 200 lb power pro, smooth and quiet and i have never had a break off, love the stuff

i put fresh 200lb power pro on at the beginning of the year and have never lost so may balls in one season! Im going to be using 225 or 250 next time around.

I have put a similar experience up on this forum before but it may be worth repeating. The big problem with braid is it will badly abrade on any slightly rough surface. Do not use braid if you are switching over after running wire for a long time. The plastic/nylon pulley mounts and the pulley rims will be scoured, rough, and abraded by the wire friction running over it. If you now have braid running over this rough surface it plays havoc and braid will randomly snap through abrasion and drop your gear. In addition if your pulleys are even slightly "sticky" the braid will slide in the pulley and the friction of a synthetic material sliding over plastic/nylon pulleys is enormous - heat will be generated, especially with the first drop of the day when you are in a hurry to get your gear down and everything is bone dry!:D

I have gone back to wire after all this bad experience with braid and will not use braid again until I can afford new downriggers or can put brand new pulleys and pulley mounts on both existing downriggers. And maybe not even then, because I don't like the idea of heat sensitive synthethic braid material running over nylon/plastic pulleys in principle (metal pulleys might be ok....?)

Switched to braid mid summer on one side. The downrigger is an old 2 belt model that has used wire for maybe 10 years. No issues so far with the 200lb power pro going over the old pulleys. They are not expensive to replace anyways.

I'm wanting to run a length of gangion on the end of my braid. Should I use the 176lb gangion or 265lb? My main line is 200lb power pro. Pros of 265lb are thicker line is easyier on the hands. Pros for 176lb thinner diameter and it should break before the main line on a hang up although I imagine the knott is where the line would break either way.

Craven do you use gangion or a snubber or neither for your bottom bouncing?

When it comes time to replace the wire on my other downrigger power pro will be its replacement.

Braid all the way. Used wire for about 17 years, I lost about 2 cannon balls per year, Lots of wire cuts on hands, noisey. Switched to Power Pro 200lbs 3 years ago. Have not lost a ball since, no cuts, and so quite and most of all still catching lots of fish. I use a snubber to attach to my cannon ball and attach my release clip to a brass spreader bar. I just retie my braid twice per year at the beginning of each fishing year and in the middle. Braid is 100% the way to go for sure. No downfalls with it that I can think of but tons of issues with Wire.

Cby

Craven do you use gangion or a snubber or neither for your bottom bouncing?

I use a snubber, and then attach my release clip right to the snubber.
works great and saves on lost cannonballs when bottom bouncing.

Back