how do you put your boat on the water

J

jighead

I just had my braking pad and etc fixed, it is a bill of more than 1000 dollars. last year, when I backed my trailer at boat launch ramp,I had to go deeper so the boat can be unloaded. the hind wheels of my honda pilot were in the water every every time.

Now, I am very careful at the ramp. I never let my wheels in the water. but here comes the new problem: I have to pull very had to drag my boat off from the trailer.

I would be very thankful if someone can share his or her experience.

thank you in advance

Do you have bunks or rollers on your trailer? If you have rollers, it sounds like you need to replace a few or at least grease them up on their spindles. Once you do that,your boat should roll off without too much effort.
T2

No Rigours

my trailer has bunks, one of my better decisions, with the slick pads on top. my procedure for launch is back down far enough to keep the winch stand above the water line, get out and unhook the chain and cable while keeping my feet dry, get back in put the truck in neutral, take my foot off the brake so the rig starts to roll back, step on the brake after about a foot of roll back, sproing goes the boat, hoping the 1st mate is awake on the float for the tie off :)

loading with bunks is equally as simple. back the trailer in keeping the tops of the fenders OUT OF THE WATER, this is critical do not back too far in as centering will almost be impossible, get back in the boat with the engines tiped upward, slowly motor forward letting the bunks center the boat, if you miss put your engines in N and slide back and try again, apply power and move forward on the bunks until the first mate signals a stop or you have made contact with the front stop, mate hooks the chain and cable taking the 6" of slack out, shut her down, and if i can get on the float, i drive her off the ramp otherwise the 1st mate does the driving.

If your with a buddy try the good ol power launch I have to do it most times as the boat is too heavy to get off back up to where you almost in the water go a bit faster and slam on the brakes pop it should slide off with mommentium sometimes i have to do it 2 or 3 times but it will slide off.

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

A longer trailer tongue?
Or an extension on the hitch receiver?
I saw an extended hitch receiver on a pickup the other day that put the trailer ball out past the end of his camper, which overhung his back bumper by 18-24". May require side bracing, or you could switch receivers prior to launch and after recovery.

A boat mechanic here in Tahsis uses a 50' cable between the boat trailer and the truck.

He backs it down just short of the water and then disconects the trailer and uses the cable to put some distance between the two. Keeps his truck very dry.

Be sure that you can block the wheels on the trailer before trying this!

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Sound to me like wherever you're launching the ramp is either not steep enough or tides are low. You're pulling your boat with a Pilot so boat can't be too big, ramp must definetely be shallow.

JUST FISHEN'

Another suggestion: can you spare less tongue weight and move your boat and winch post farther back?

I
quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

A boat mechanic here in Tahsis uses a 50' cable between the boat trailer and the truck.

He backs it down just short of the water and then disconects the trailer and uses the cable to put some distance between the two. Keeps his truck very dry.

Be sure that you can block the wheels on the trailer before trying this!

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250
I'm sure he is good at it but can you imagine some of the week-end warriors on a busy ramp? [:0]

I have this system for my 20ft Alumaweld-- works like a hot dam!!

http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Now, I am very careful at the ramp. I never let my wheels in the water. but here comes the new problem: I have to pull very had to drag my boat off from the trailer.

Are you pulling it off with a rope? If so try driving it off in reverse with your big motor trimmed to a safe level as not to rock your prop. Same go's for loading, drive it on. As long as you get all but the top's of the fenders under water your probable good to go. To much trailer in the water doesn't work for driving on. To hard to centre the boat as it's floating above the trailer.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

quote:Originally posted by Gone Fishen

Are you pulling it off with a rope? If so try driving it off in reverse with your big motor trimmed to a safe level as not to rock your prop. Same go's for loading, drive it on. As long as you get all but the top's of the fenders under water your probable good to go. To much trailer in the water doesn't work for driving on. To hard to centre the boat as it's floating above the trailer.

Wouldn't let me edit first post. Wanna clear the air, I was talking about trailer fenders not truck fenders under the water.

i have a longer hitch, which i bought when i had a camper on my truck, helps out big time.
i launched at jocks once at low tide(didnt know better at the time), i had to a rope and tie it to the back of the boat,( i had a strong eye on the back for tubing) i then tied the other end to the dock and drove away worked well, but make sure the hook on your boat is strong and dont tie a knot that tightens up under pressure

Nobody thought to ask you Jighead, where do you launch?
As pointed out, some ramps, due to gradients, aren't very good at certain tides.
Perhaps, if you specify, somebody familiar with the ramp will be able to clarify if and when it is suitable.
The Pilot rear wheels are not that far back, and most trailers have sufficient tongue length (like certain Vegas hookers) that you shouldn't have to dip your wheels.

Thank you all for the help. I have read every post and every word, it is very helpful.

I will try Bunk Slides or using engine to back off from trailer. I always have buddy with me, so we can pull the boat with bunk slides on.

I am using Nanaimo Brechin boat lauch most of the time. It is a very good ramp, but I have to be more careful of salt water.

I remember when my buddy saw my hind wheels in the water, he told me to go to the dealer to have a check. I did not think it was that bad. until when I had my vehicle routinely maintenced, and got the big fat bill.

I still see a lot guys put there beautiful Dodge Ram or Fx50 in the water. [:p]

Longer Trailer tounge is what made my life a heck of a lot easier, i have a 19 footer now and with bunks, and i had a 15.5 before with rollers, the 19 footer loads 10 times easier then the old 15.5 longer hitch helps also.

-Steve

quote:Originally posted by jighead

I am using Nanaimo Brechin boat lauch most of the time. It is a very good ramp, but I have to be more careful of salt water.

Try to use the single ramp instead of the ramp with the two docks, it is steeper and deeper, a bit easier to launch there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

><///(°> ><///(°>

Another good tip is if your trailer has bunks with carpet, try spraying your bunks with silicone spray before reloading your boat. This allows EASY loading and unloading.

quote:Originally posted by o8andholding

Another good tip is if your trailer has bunks with carpet, try spraying your bunks with silicone spray before reloading your boat. This allows EASY loading and unloading.

That must realy be good for the fish.[xx(]

Back