Do you love to catch chinook?

Well your right Knuckle this tends to be a pretty sensitive issue with a lot of people. Perfect example is Hawks response about loosing it because someone challenged his "research". Anyway I think this has been beaten to death. I will be at the meeting and have marked it on my calendar. I have some definite ideas on what we can do for the Cowichan river. Hopefully we can all come to a consensus on saving the resource. I remember the last meeting at the Silver Bridge last year and there was a gentleman there who had fished there his whole life (he was in his early 50's). He was talking about the river in it's hey day it was hard to believe he was talking about the same river. You could tell it hurt him to see the river in this state.

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

Well your right Knuckle this tends to be a pretty sensitive issue with a lot of people. Perfect example is Hawks response about loosing it because someone challenged his "research". Anyway I think this has been beaten to death. I will be at the meeting and have marked it on my calendar. I have some definite ideas on what we can do for the Cowichan river. Hopefully we can all come to a consensus on saving the resource. I remember the last meeting at the Silver Bridge last year and there was a gentleman there who had fished there his whole life (he was in his early 50's). He was talking about the river in it's hey day it was hard to believe he was talking about the same river. You could tell it hurt him to see the river in this state.
Excellent! Bring your ideas. We want to hear them.

For your info Kim at the SFAB has distributed a paper titled:

"Working Paper on the Status of Lower Georgia Strait
Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) Stocks
D. A. Nagtegaal and K. L. Mathias
May 2006"

It's too large to paste here - 74 pages - and I can't find a hyperlink to it, but I will forward it as an e-mail attachment to anyone who is interested.

It's not restricted to the Cowichan, but covers all of the Strait.

Hey Time i would like to read up on that
i dont think the email function on here works all that well, so just send it to robert_tufnail@hotmail.com

thanks a lot, i would like to see this fishery thrive and not die out in my time.

Hey Knuckle I sent you a e-mail. Can you get in contact with me with regards to fixing the river. I included my phone number in the e-mail.

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

Hey Knuckle I sent you a e-mail. Can you get in contact with me with regards to fixing the river. I included my phone number in the e-mail.
Sorry, just saw this now. I never received your e mail.
I will be at Cow Bay pub friday night.
For every one else, meeting is confirmed for wednesday, Nov.28. 7:00
Ocean Front Grand Resort. Cowichan Bay. There will be lots of people there. The people who make the desicions. This is your chance to be heard. Bring your ideas. and help spread the word. we must make them realise how serious we are.

No problem Knuckle. We can discuss tomorrow at the pub. If there is any interest in opening a hatchery on the Cowichan I think I can get the equipment to get it up and running. Obivously it would take a lot of work but I think people would be into it considering the potential pay off. Regards.

Anyone know if any First Nations representatives will be attending the meeting? I can't help but think about the drought in Sept/Oct '05, when some FN continued to snag and spear every chinook in sight in the lower river...
To me it's a simple equation, if only 200 chinooks come back to the river and 150 are harvested before they even reach silver bridge the run cannot survive. Everyone talks about fish farming, ocean survival, logging, etc. - but the equation is much more simple than that - the fish that return to the river must be allowed to spawn or the run will perish.

quote:Originally posted by Blackleech

Anyone know if any First Nations representatives will be attending the meeting? I can't help but think about the drought in Sept/Oct '05, when some FN continued to snag and spear every chinook in sight in the lower river...
To me it's a simple equation, if only 200 chinooks come back to the river and 150 are harvested before they even reach silver bridge the run cannot survive. Everyone talks about fish farming, ocean survival, logging, etc. - but the equation is much more simple than that - the fish that return to the river must be allowed to spawn or the run will perish.
As a matter of fact, the Chief of Cowichan Tribes is attending this meeting. They are very concerned about whats happening and are open to suggestions and willing to work with every one to help .

I would like to go to. Anyone interested in car pooling from Victoria and back? Maybe someone who knows the location because I am not very familiar with the Duncan area...

Blackleech have you ever spent the time and effort to go down and talk to the Cowichan tribes fisheries people and see what efforts they have put into sustaining the salmon runs in that river ?
Have you talked to the old timer commercial fisherman of all races on the rape of that run , of the streams and river decimation in reducing prime spawning channels to mud bars by uncontrolled logging or will you forever slam the F.N. because they are an easier target ?

AL

quote:Originally posted by chris73

I would like to go to. Anyone interested in car pooling from Victoria and back? Maybe someone who knows the location because I am not very familiar with the Duncan area...
Chris. I hope someone can give you a lift. Ask around. Its easy to find. Only hotel on the water in Cowichan Bay.

quote:Originally posted by knucklebuster

O.K. people. This is the BIG meeting I talked about. If you fish chinook anywhere along the east and west coast of Vancouver island or even the Charlottes, you need to come to this meeting.The Cowichan run of chinook are in crisis. This is YOUR chance to have a say as to whats going to happen.YOUR favourite fishing spot could be closed to allow these fish through. There may be alternatives. If you don't come out and be heard then you can't complain when your spot is closed.
I will confirm details at a later date.
Tentative date is November.28
7:00
Ocean front Grand resort,Cowichan bay,
Mermaid room

Knucleduster:
From a new member of the forum:
A very interesting topic of discussion! I anticipate attendence
at the meeting will be numerous and vocal. I cannot attend,but would
like you to follow up on a rumor which is circulating concerning
River's Inlet. Evidently,logging of the slopes adjacent to the
two major supporting rivers is planned for the near future.If so,
there will be the usual assurances that it be accomplished in a
"sustainable"way with no anticipated problems.Please question the
Fisheries Rep. about my concerns-IF THIS NOT WILL INTERFERE WITH YOUR
MAIN OBJECTIVES.
Ed Beatty

I too heard the same rumour. The other thing I heard that bothered me was that the provincial government somehow sold the land adjascent to Muir Creek and Jordan River for development after it was logged. No one seems to know how it happened but 2000 hectares of the most prime land undeveloped on the west coast somehow got sold to a developer. Kinda makes you wonder don't it. Of course there will be investigations but in the end you can probably kiss another 2 salmon producing rivers good bye.

Hey Chris,I am trying to clear up my schedule to attend.I'd rather not drive(350 chevy)but will have gas money.May have a friend who would like to attend as well-will keep you posted.
Hooch

quote: kiss another 2 salmon producing rivers good bye.

Thankfully they f#cked up those systems a long time ago :(

Its disgusting what they are planning and what has already taken place in Jordan river - I mean they sold the town site to a developer!

Hey Hoochiebob; we will take my van so we got plenty room so far. Give me a call after 6 PM (not today though) these days to arrange time and location to meet...

Back