Diesel Heater for garage?

How big of a garage? I don’t think a diesel heater is the way to go no matter what the size. Electric would be a better option when you have power already. Wouldn’t electric be more cost efficient?

Last edited:
Hard to beat the all in one china diesel heaters you can buy off amazon. Ive had a Vevor 5kw all in one for about a year and its been great. Theres a few youtube videos with guys who installed them in shops, will depend on the size of the space your trying to heat. The 8kw are exactly the same as the 5kw just have different pumps.

Which particular unit are you using?
Most shops would just use the OAE, but you could use the other styles based on your layout. Click on the style you like and then on the product sheet link. For the coast you can calculate for 40btu per square foot but will likely need less depending on the insulation and air tightness of your shop. ie, a 1000 sq ft shop would take a 40,000 btu heater to make it toasty warm.

Most shops would just use the OAE, but you could use the other styles based on your layout. Click on the style you like and then on the product sheet link. For the coast you can calculate for 40btu per square foot but will likely need less depending on the insulation and air tightness of your shop. ie, a 1000 sq ft shop would take a 40,000 btu heater to make it toasty warm.
I think those are all electric and I was exploring diesel options.

My friend is looking to warm his two car garage with a Chinese diesel heater, keep us posted how it turns out

I am wondering if the home insurance providers would take issue with a Chinese diesel heater in the garage?

I am wondering if the home insurance providers would take issue with a Chinese diesel heater in the garage?
I’m starting to wonder the same thing about my boat. I had survey done and it was noted. Have to send survey in January to have insurance renewed… I guess I’ll find out then.

I’ve seen more then a few house fires that were caused by absolute stupidity “allegedly” and insurance still covered it
For example charging your battery through the fuse block with a 250a shop charger, then leaving to go grocery shopping.

my point is that if you do even half decent install id expect you'd be ok with insurance

Last edited:
I've got a Dickinson boat stove in my shop for 20 years now... Gravity fed tank. Keeps my small shop toasty warm on low setting, and I can cook if I feel like it!
I noticed Harbour Chandler had one on BF sale and was thinking about it for my ice shack. We usually camp overnight and use propane, though something vented would help cut down on the moisture. Setting up the fuel tank could get old though, not quite as convenient.

Back