Diesel Heater Air Duct piping

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hi All

My boats diesel heater is located on the back deck under gunnel and it has a duct that runs from there to the cabin to bring the hot air to the cabin. The duct is made of super thin aluminum covered with a black plastic/paint. The pipe has completely rotted out with corrosion do any of you know of an alternative product that could be used to make this connection that is maybe not just thin Junk. The pipes diameter is about 60mm.

I used aluminum expansion ducting from Home Depot on mine. Downside is it does get hot but I’m sure there’s an insulating product you could use has not been an issue for me so far.

The stuff that comes with the heaters has an aluminum layer, however it has a paper like layer inside and outside as insulated layer. Like @Brando mentioned you can use straight aluminum ducting. However I tried that once and that pipe got so hot it melted the plastic vent cover. Mine was a pretty short run, under 4 ft. Some days that thing gets used for 12 hours at a time as well. Maybe that has something to do with the results I got.

You can buy the insulated ducting online or locally.

Hi All

My boats diesel heater is located on the back deck under gunnel and it has a duct that runs from there to the cabin to bring the hot air to the cabin. The duct is made of super thin aluminum covered with a black plastic/paint. The pipe has completely rotted out with corrosion do any of you know of an alternative product that could be used to make this connection that is maybe not just thin Junk. The pipes diameter is about 60mm.
Some brands have a bit heavier walls. Ebersbacher?
You can stall corrosion by treating the inside with a quality cooking spray. (Yeah, the warm air has a french-fry fragrance 😉) That pipe gets too hot so I used this: https://www.amazon.ca/Polyethylene-Insulation-Underground-Pipeline
It's flame and fire-retardant and gets more warm air to the vents. Comes in about 65 mm size.

This stuff would work great

I actually have my diesel heater exhaust insulated with it.

You can purchase in 0.5” and 1” thick wall, with inner bores based on iron pipe size up to 4” I believe.

Back