Cuts of meat on sale

Nice! Are you gonna wrap with butcher paper or foil? I recommend using a probe to check for tenderness rather than just going by temp when to pull it off. You want the probe to pull out super easy like butter. But once you hit that don't go much longer or that's when it will start to dry out. I like to wrap mine in towels and put it in a cooler to slowly drop temp too but some folks just cut er' right up after it's done.

Some pretty decent sales this weekend. Got some very nice pork back ribs from Safeway for 3.99, a brisket from Save On for $3.39/lb, a Tri Tip roast for $8.99/lb, some rib steaks and roasts from Safeway for $7.99 and $8.99/lb, and some cross rib roasts from Safeway for $5.99/lb. Our family are nuts for pork back ribs so when they are on sale I usually stock up. Much prefer then over the tougher side ribs.

I went to two different Safeway's. Although the pork back ribs were $3.99 at both Safeway's, they were from different suppliers. The ones from Maple Leaf had much more of the loin attached and were much more meaty than the Thunder Creek brand ones. The Safeway on Fraser Hwy had the Maple Leaf ones and the one in Willowbrook had the Thunder Creek brand ones.

The beef rib roasts and steaks are AA grade and supposed to be cap off but knowing from past experience there are often times roasts and steaks with the cap on and if you go when a new batch has been put out in the cooler then you have the best chance of picking out the best ones with more marbling and caps on. I managed to find some with caps on and nice marbling for even AA grade. A lot of times there can be AAA grade mixed in. The caps are the best part of a beef rib IMO.

Will be using the flat from the brisket, the tri tip, and the cross rib roasts for my burger grind blend. More often I use chuck roasts but when the cross ribs are on sale I grab them too. Not much difference I find in the two cuts especially when using other beefy flavored cuts added to it like the brisket and the tri tip. I will add some beef fat and a bit of apple bacon to the grind for added juiciness to the burger meat.
The Point of the brisket will be smoked.

For those of you that like Baby Rays bbq sauce.... ( I love the honey and the brown sugar ones they make ) they are on sale for $1.97 a bottle at Real Canadian Super Store right now. And Save On, Safeway etc will price match that price if you show them the flyer price on your phone which I did when I was picking up the tri tip and brisket and Safeway. I make my own bbq sauce a lot but if I don't have time or run out then Baby Rays is a favorite of ours too.

Smoking up some of the back ribs tonight with apple and oak wood. I dry rub them with a custom spice/herb blend, open smoke them for a few hours, then cover them after basting them with some bbq sauce, and fresh thyme and rosemary, keep them in the smoker for another 3 or 4 hrs till they are pull apart tender, then finish them over open fire on the bbq to caramelize the outside glaze :)

20210522_103722.jpg

20210522_103745.jpg

20210522_103739.jpg

20210522_103649.jpg

20210522_105925.jpg

20210522_105936.jpg

20210522_125147.jpg

Nice! Are you gonna wrap with butcher paper or foil? I recommend using a probe to check for tenderness rather than just going by temp when to pull it off. You want the probe to pull out super easy like butter. But once you hit that don't go much longer or that's when it will start to dry out. I like to wrap mine in towels and put it in a cooler to slowly drop temp too but some folks just cut er' right up after it's done.
Used butcher paper. In the cooler now wrapped in a couple towels . Definitely cooked faster then my Bradley lol. Likely be resting for a few hours till a couple friends come by to drink some beer and eat . Hopefully the long rest won’t hurt it .

Some pretty decent sales this weekend. Got some very nice pork back ribs from Safeway for 3.99, a brisket from Save On for $3.39/lb, a Tri Tip roast for $8.99/lb, some rib steaks and roasts from Safeway for $7.99 and $8.99/lb, and some cross rib roasts from Safeway for $5.99/lb. Our family are nuts for pork back ribs so when they are on sale I usually stock up. Much prefer then over the tougher side ribs.

I went to two different Safeway's. Although the pork back ribs were $3.99 at both Safeway's, they were from different suppliers. The ones from Maple Leaf had much more of the loin attached and were much more meaty than the Thunder Creek brand ones. The Safeway on Fraser Hwy had the Maple Leaf ones and the one in Willowbrook had the Thunder Creek brand ones.

The beef rib roasts and steaks are AA grade and supposed to be cap off but knowing from past experience there are often times roasts and steaks with the cap on and if you go when a new batch has been put out in the cooler then you have the best chance of picking out the best ones with more marbling and caps on. I managed to find some with caps on and nice marbling for even AA grade. A lot of times there can be AAA grade mixed in. The caps are the best part of a beef rib IMO.

Will be using the flat from the brisket, the tri tip, and the cross rib roasts for my burger grind blend. More often I use chuck roasts but when the cross ribs are on sale I grab them too. Not much difference I find in the two cuts especially when using other beefy flavored cuts added to it like the brisket and the tri tip. I will add some beef fat and a bit of apple bacon to the grind for added juiciness to the burger meat.
The Point of the brisket will be smoked.

For those of you that like Baby Rays bbq sauce.... ( I love the honey and the brown sugar ones they make ) they are on sale for $1.97 a bottle at Real Canadian Super Store right now. And Save On, Safeway etc will price match that price if you show them the flyer price on your phone which I did when I was picking up the tri tip and brisket and Safeway. I make my own bbq sauce a lot but if I don't have time or run out then Baby Rays is a favorite of ours too.

Smoking up some of the back ribs tonight with apple and oak wood. I dry rub them with a custom spice/herb blend, open smoke them for a few hours, then cover them after basting them with some bbq sauce, and fresh thyme and rosemary, keep them in the smoker for another 3 or 4 hrs till they are pull apart tender, then finish them over open fire on the bbq to caramelize the outside glaze :)

View attachment 66008

View attachment 66009

View attachment 66010

View attachment 66011

View attachment 66012

View attachment 66013

View attachment 66014
Nice haul

Used butcher paper. In the cooler now wrapped in a couple towels . Definitely cooked faster then my Bradley lol. Likely be resting for a few hours till a couple friends come by to drink some beer and eat . Hopefully the long rest won’t hurt it .

If you want to add a little nice kick up a notch to your brisket for your buddies coming over.... this is what I do and they melt in your mouth... Take a section of your brisket with some fat still on it that didn't render all the way down while smoking, cut that into 1.5 to 2" cubes, roll them around liberally in barbecue sauce and any herbs/spices you like, lay them out with space between them on cookie sheets then put them under the broiler in your oven for a few minutes just until the bbq sauce/herbs spices go golden brown/caramelize. They are what folks call burnt ends. My family and buddies who have tried them would rather have the whole brisket eaten like this lol. The thing is you need pieces with still some fat on them or else they will dry right out by re heating them under the broiler.

I’ve had briskets wrapped and in the cooler for 3-4 hours.
Turned out ok
I’ve heard of some guys resting briskets as long as 6 hours.

Good advice here. Butcher paper all the way. Wrap it tight. Couple tricks I've learned. Let the brisket rest out of the cooler for a little while so it's stops cooking. Then wrap right over top of the butcher paper with cling wrap. Seems to really lock in the juices. Ideal serving temp is 140ish. So I poke it once in a while during the rest to see where it's at.

When i get the standing rib roasts on sale we keep some as roasts but for the others i break them down so there's zero waste. I use the bones to make homemade bone broth with, the fat and meat trimmings to add to the other cheaper cuts of beef for my custom blended burger grinds, and am left with perfectly trimed ribeye steaks. At $7.99/lb its a great deal. We go through gallons and gallons of bone broth every year. We use it in bases for lots of dishes. Lots of good nutrients, vitamins, minerals and other health benifits. I make big batches of it once i have enough bones then cryovac pack it and freeze it in individual 500 ml pouches. Much better than the store bought stuff and you can make custom broths with added veggies etc too.

20210522_181237.jpg

20210522_181203.jpg

I’ve had briskets wrapped and in the cooler for 3-4 hours.
Turned out ok
I’ve heard of some guys resting briskets as long as 6 hours.

Just pulled out the brisket after 2.5 hours in the cooler with a towel. I split the brisket and just smoked the flat. Kosher Salt, cracked white and black pepper and garlic powder for spice rub, 2 hours sitting, 6.5 hours on the smoker with Hickory, wrapped in foil at 165, 2 more hours, then into the cooler at 203.

I placed 3 strips of fat on top of the brisket to render down and add moisture.

Amazing dinner tonight!! Wife was in love with the brisket!

Tip will be smoked, then cubed, sauced and back in the smoker for burnt ends. If you haven't tried these, it is worth the time to split the brisket.

Also picked up a few pork belly; some smoked belly next week as well and some home made bacon!!

It's smoker season!!

Cheers

SS

Just pulled out the brisket after 2.5 hours in the cooler with a towel. I split the brisket and just smoked the flat. Kosher Salt, cracked white and black pepper and garlic powder for spice rub, 2 hours sitting, 6.5 hours on the smoker with Hickory, wrapped in foil at 165, 2 more hours, then into the cooler at 203.

I placed 3 strips of fat on top of the brisket to render down and add moisture.

Amazing dinner tonight!! Wife was in love with the brisket!

Tip will be smoked, then cubed, sauced and back in the smoker for burnt ends. If you haven't tried these, it is worth the time to split the brisket.

Also picked up a few pork belly; some smoked belly next week as well and some home made bacon!!

It's smoker season!!

Cheers

SS
Your rub recipe sounds like the standard Texas rub.
I have been doing more briskets with the basic Texas rub.
Have been pleased with the results so far.

I was at n.van. park and tilford save-on this morning, all their whole brisket (still 3.39 lb.) and all their nicely trimmed portions (point or flat) were AAA beef (on sale for 7.47/kilo.) I bought a chunk of point as I still have a lot in the freezer from a whole brisket I bought at costco. I'll post a pic when I get my phone charged up. 20210524_083452.jpg20210524_083428.jpg

Pretty simple. Cube the belly, rub with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Smoke at 260 for about 4 hours or until internal temp of 200. Then throw them in a pan with bbq sauce and back on the smoker for 20 mins or so.
those look awesome, what approximate size are your cubes, I'm curious as you do an internal temp on the cubes? or are you cubing it after you smoke them the 1st time? I'm going to try this tomorrow.

Back