cut plug herring

Unless you got white spots on your sides and a black dorsal you aint a "expert" at catching chinook.
Just a bunch of monkeys trying to help each other out buds,no big deal

Motor mooch with 4oz-6oz bananas. 10-30 pulls.where are you fishing?maybe the beach up in renny in the summer?
Or wait till oct and hit coho shallow.

My absolute favorite way to fish..get a tickle and stream out a pull or two and wait for the turn around attack!

Fish nootka mostly esperenza though, close to structure generally pretty close and shallow 20-30 ft .I think I will go with two 4/0 fixed hook no slider, General rule for spacing im thinking 4 fingers between lower hook eyelet to the bottom of the upper hook? I will definitely brine and salt will try downriggers then if its not combat fishing give the bananas a go

Sure enough, all the experts are weighing in. Lol.

Wtf!? Another thread muddied...
So what don't you agree with? I thought the thread had some insightful comments. Maybe I don't understand your comment as this is the internet after all. Or maybe something got lost in translation as I am a Yank. Care to expound on your comment?

Yes there most certainly has for me! A non expert ... I learn something every single time I go out some good some bad that's what it's all about IMO .

So what don't you agree with? I thought the thread had some insightful comments. Maybe I don't understand your comment as this is the internet after all. Or maybe something got lost in translation as I am a Yank. Care to expound on your comment?

Not really, but as someone who has made their living cut plugging, this thread has turned into a copy of the other threads.

Get out and cut plug.

As mentioned in some of the previous posts 1) anal vent for water flow 2) brined up properly to stay firm 3) don't hesitate to use a toothpick to get the tail up or to otherwise firm up the herring for the right roll.

Pretye leaders for cut pluggin, before you go out.Saves time and you may find your knots may get cut by sharp end of eye of hook.

THIS!! ^^^^

When I see people recommending "Youtube It", my first reaction was to implore you....DON"T Youtube it!

If you do, you'll see 50 different ways of doing it, with 50 different "experts" telling you that their way is the only way.

The truth---- Mr. Chevy captured it perfectly. Do a reasonable beveled cut so you have a high side and a low side, then experiment with hook placement to make it roll or flutter or do ANYTHING other then just getting pulled lifeless through the water.

It cracks me up seeing the "experts" taking 5 minutes to rig up a herring---"expertly" auguring out the guts with the tip of a knife, "expertly" cutting a vent in the rear of the herring, "expertly" managing their hook placements at about the same speed someone would do an autopsy...

Meanwhile, the freaking springs just went on the bite---lop the head off your herring, get the hooks in and throw the freaking thing in the water!!!! If it doesn't spin, yank it out of the water and reposition the hooks so it DOES spin.

The bite might not wait for you to "expertly" get that all-important vent cut in or "expertly" do anything else to the herring---get it wet!!!

Full disclosure: I've fished plug cuts for 30 years and have never yet cut a vent in a fish, so best take my advice with a grain of salt...

Also, Full Disclosure--- I never take the guts out---they make a nice oily slime trail as they spin through the water. I'll sometimes pluck out the dangling pieces of intestine if I think they're effecting the roll; that's about it

Yes, cutting frozen is better then cutting when slacked out---a cleaner beveled cut = a plug that will be easier to get rolling. And brining? Absolutely. Hard bodies last longer when getting pulled through the water and put up with more abuse.

Buy the best!!!! You guys are spoiled---you have the best quality tray-bait herring. Top of the Line? Northern King Vac Pacs. Blue Water is also good but Northern King is as good as it gets.

Don't be afraid to use whole herring! Sometimes that outproduces plug-cut, and vice-versa. Switch it up---know how to rig up both

My one word of dissension with what Mr. Chevy says: 5/0 gammys???? Maybe with black or purple label herring? I would suggest matching hook side to the size of the bait. Are springs hook-shy? Probably not. But a pair of 5/0 hooks in a plug cut made out of a green label herring will not do you any favors in the action department--- my rule of thumb: 3/0 in a green label, 4/0 in a blue label, and 5/0, well, maybe....

My favorite "cover all the bases" for whatever size herring I'm using = a 3/0 tied behind a 4/0

Yes, hooks that are tied so you can slide them up and down the leader are dandy for tightening up a plug cut to make it roll better but they're a pain to tie and more importantly, I'm not sure I trust them when fighting bigger springs-- hooks that are tied into the leader sometimes get two different hook sets. A hook that freely slides on a leader will usually get pulled down to the trailing hook during a fight and can put undue stress on the single knot remaining between you and the fish

Just make sure that whatever hooks you end up using, keep them SHARP.
Awesome post. Lots of great info. If I could only add one thing I learned from another cut plug pro. Have 3 or 4 cut, hooks in and ready. When the bite comes you don't want to be preparing them then.

Not really, but as someone who has made their living cut plugging, this thread has turned into a copy of the other threads.

Get out and cut plug.
You are still speaking cryptically. The thread has turned into a copy of other threads talking about fishing cut plug herring? Or it has turned into a copy of other threads where people are exchanging ideas about fishing techniques where the content annoys or bores you somehow?

Any thread that is about cut pluggin gets me horny..ill try them on my top rigger this weekend and report back.dont think they would stand up to bottom bouncing unfortunately.
Magic man.."now you see me,now you don't"

Shake n bake! boys n girls

Kinda gotta weigh in. What a great thread! If I could add my two bits it'd be:

- Use well brined bait. Herring responds best to a saturated liquid brine IMHO.
- In Nootka Sound you'll likely have a bit of company. I find mooching in a pack of trollers pretty much impossible, and is kind of rude as well.
- When trolling, use a fair bit of distance (10 - 20 pulls) behind your clip, and then power mooch the cut plugs anyway. It'll depend on the tide situation, but shifting out of gear for a while to let em slow right down, then kicking back in to gear can be really deadly. The issues arise if you leave it out of gear too long and your cut plug passes your cable...you'll see.
- Mooch or troll downstream, never try to drag a cuttie up tide.
- I always cut the a-hole out.
- I usually start with one large and one med herring on either side. Some times they want them all big and sometimes all small. Usually it doesn't matter.
- Staging fish like XL cutties.
- If you're planning on C&R, don't "feed" the fish too much. It'll hook it by the throat making a clean release a challenge.
- 'nuff said about how to get the cut plug to roll. Not much I can add to that.

Good luck and have fun!!

CP

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretye leaders for cut pluggin, before you go out.Saves time and you may find your knots may get cut by sharp end of eye of hook.

How long does it take to tie a single hook on to a leader ????

It's a double hook set up spaced I'm thinking dependant on bait size. I'm not a champ at tying but did manage 6 set ups in about 12 mins. If tying on boat probably double that for me.

Not that long but it only took me a few evenings on my couch to tie up an entire season of leaders for my herring fishing. Also, when on firm ground it's a lot easier to use a razor blade to trim the tag end off the hook tie on the trailing hook. That really helps prevent the hook from tearing up the bait.

Hey Adanac, so you are piercing through the spine from low to high? I will dry brine and get them good and cardboard like.thanks for the inspiration,i miss running cutplugs.it has taken some time for me to warm to teasers and chovies.

You running inline flasher or clipped above?

Roger that on the low to high , I try to not pierce the spine but come through the back as close as possible on the opposite side,seems to work for me. As for flasher I have never run an inline with a cutplug, I'm sure with a long enough leader it would work fine , but I was always taught to fish them 6-8' above a dummy attached to the cannon ball.

P.s Fishin_Magician - get off you're high horse and give the guy some of your wealth of information since you're gods damn gift to fishing . You make yourself look pretty bad with comments like that when people are just trying to help another out .

Well our discussion has lured the azz out of the pompazz at any rate. Lots of good tips here I am going to try a few of them myself, Thanks guys!

Back