cut plug herring

crazycanuck

So i'm really looking forward to fishing cut plug herring this year, in the past anchoivy's with teaser heads 85% of the time and spoon and hooch the other 15% and done decently well no complaints. However i'm a cutplug virgin and it seems to be a much more intimate way of fishing other than chucking lures out. I know the key is like anchovy get a nice tight roll( I love it when you know shes good) and with the herring you must cut the head with an angle... actually I guess a compound angle, what is the angle? I'd like to make a jig so I could cut properly each and everytime. I think its probably best to have your bait already cut and clear of guts sitting in course salt/brine ready to go. I'm looking for some tips that will ease the anxiety of losing my viginity. cheers

I don't advise dragging cutplugs slowly where everyone else is trolling....they will run you over

yes I guess traditional way with orange 10-14oz. weight you troll much slower, buddy was telling me he's trolling regular speed with no flasher jjust high speed swivel off his down rigger

Do a search for "cut plug".
You will find a lot of info (don't forget the archives section).

Then stop by your local tackle shop. There is a plastic jig that has the correct angles. Set the herring into the jig, one cut with a knife, scoop out the guts (don't slice the belly open) and you are good to go.

Welcome to old school fishing.

I made a jig out of a tube for golf club bag . Slit the length and cut the angle and taper screw to piece of wood. slip your herring inside tube, grip and cut angle. now my son has angle in mind and jig is no longer used.Once your good at placeing hooks you can troll any resonable set speed with any roll you want. Larger size of herring are easyer to achive confidence.sharp knife and one swift motion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could youtube it but prefer to converse with people instead of hearing one persons set opinion. I appreciate the suggestions and I do have golf tube available as there isn't any salt water tackle shops out here. I will do a search and try and find the angle .
Youtube it!

I watched a few youtube videos on this and tried fishing cut plugs the last time I was out, so I guess I'm still a virgin too. But one advice I can give you is to cut them when they are partially or completely thawed. The guts aren't easy to drill out when frozen. I never used a guide to make my cuts and they turned out fine. Just as long as there's a high side. After cutting half of mine, I threw them in a bag of Firebrine for the night and they were good and ready when I got on the water. Best advice has been said already, youtube it!

I believe the angle is 45 degrees towards the tip of the head, then bevel 45 degrees and cut. Pretty simple and I bet a few degrees off won't matter.

The cut is only half the equation hook placement is the other half. Best way is to fish with an experienced cut plugger. Advice, videos and trial and error will also get you there albeit at slower pace. 15 years ago that is the only way I fished now I dabble with plastics and spoons as well. A lot of Yanks have this method perfected as it has been and still is a very effective method for us. What I have found is it is a good trick to have in the arsenal as sometimes it absolutely crushes any other offering as well as being a fun way to fish.Good luck and If you are looking for some hands on demonstration I will be staying at Oak Bay March 13-15th. Drop me a PM.

ive always been a firm believer that you don't need "the perfect roll". just get something down there that spins somewhat smooth and tight, a little tail whip isn't the end of the world either. ive seen more than enough unguided guests fishing the most haywire cutplugs youll ever see, come in with 40-50 pound springs, theyre just fish, not exceptionally smart or picky on most occasions. typically 6-8 oz weights are more suitable for mooching, you don't want to be playing a spring with a 14 oz hunk of lead flinging thru the air, 8 oz is bad enough, or just run em off the downriggers, much more simple and no 8oz ball of trouble swinging around your head while netting a fish. as for the angle, it all works, most guys I work with use a fairly blunt cut, maybe 20 degrees, and then another 20-45 on the compound, depending on what kind of a roll you are going for. usually cant go wrong with something that rolls tight and fast, that way it can be fished at almost any speed. best way is to start with a really basic cutplug, once you get that down stat tinkering around with angles, hook placements, etc. the placement of the toe (top) hook is the biggest factor in the type of roll you will get. 2 5/0 gammys tied about 7'' apart is pretty standard.

Yes I did look at hook placement on some videos and the front hook seems to be the same with about 5 or6 videos I watched but all the trailing hooks were rigged differently... some just freely floating , some through the tail etc. Like you said Sentinel trial and error is how you learn and put your own personal touches as you see fit. I'm pretty confident now and look forward to it, we'll see thanks for the input fellas

I usually take the rear hook through the gut cavity and then just let it dangle at the back but sometimes hooking the rear hook in just forward of the tail will tighten up a wide tail swing. Also sometimes in a quest for a drill bit spin I will cut a small V notch at the anal vent to allow water to escape gut cavity and even occasionally cut the top half of the tail off. Give it go and see what works for Ya!

ive always been a firm believer that you don't need "the perfect roll". just get something down there that spins somewhat smooth and tight, a little tail whip isn't the end of the world either. ive seen more than enough unguided guests fishing the most haywire cutplugs youll ever see, come in with 40-50 pound springs, theyre just fish, not exceptionally smart or picky on most occasions. typically 6-8 oz weights are more suitable for mooching, you don't want to be playing a spring with a 14 oz hunk of lead flinging thru the air, 8 oz is bad enough, or just run em off the downriggers, much more simple and no 8oz ball of trouble swinging around your head while netting a fish. as for the angle, it all works, most guys I work with use a fairly blunt cut, maybe 20 degrees, and then another 20-45 on the compound, depending on what kind of a roll you are going for. usually cant go wrong with something that rolls tight and fast, that way it can be fished at almost any speed. best way is to start with a really basic cutplug, once you get that down stat tinkering around with angles, hook placements, etc. the placement of the toe (top) hook is the biggest factor in the type of roll you will get. 2 5/0 gammys tied about 7'' apart is pretty standard.

THIS!! ^^^^

When I see people recommending "Youtube It", my first reaction was to implore you....DON"T Youtube it!

If you do, you'll see 50 different ways of doing it, with 50 different "experts" telling you that their way is the only way.

The truth---- Mr. Chevy captured it perfectly. Do a reasonable beveled cut so you have a high side and a low side, then experiment with hook placement to make it roll or flutter or do ANYTHING other then just getting pulled lifeless through the water.

It cracks me up seeing the "experts" taking 5 minutes to rig up a herring---"expertly" auguring out the guts with the tip of a knife, "expertly" cutting a vent in the rear of the herring, "expertly" managing their hook placements at about the same speed someone would do an autopsy...

Meanwhile, the freaking springs just went on the bite---lop the head off your herring, get the hooks in and throw the freaking thing in the water!!!! If it doesn't spin, yank it out of the water and reposition the hooks so it DOES spin.

The bite might not wait for you to "expertly" get that all-important vent cut in or "expertly" do anything else to the herring---get it wet!!!

Full disclosure: I've fished plug cuts for 30 years and have never yet cut a vent in a fish, so best take my advice with a grain of salt...

Also, Full Disclosure--- I never take the guts out---they make a nice oily slime trail as they spin through the water. I'll sometimes pluck out the dangling pieces of intestine if I think they're effecting the roll; that's about it

Yes, cutting frozen is better then cutting when slacked out---a cleaner beveled cut = a plug that will be easier to get rolling. And brining? Absolutely. Hard bodies last longer when getting pulled through the water and put up with more abuse.

Buy the best!!!! You guys are spoiled---you have the best quality tray-bait herring. Top of the Line? Northern King Vac Pacs. Blue Water is also good but Northern King is as good as it gets.

Don't be afraid to use whole herring! Sometimes that outproduces plug-cut, and vice-versa. Switch it up---know how to rig up both

My one word of dissension with what Mr. Chevy says: 5/0 gammys???? Maybe with black or purple label herring? I would suggest matching hook side to the size of the bait. Are springs hook-shy? Probably not. But a pair of 5/0 hooks in a plug cut made out of a green label herring will not do you any favors in the action department--- my rule of thumb: 3/0 in a green label, 4/0 in a blue label, and 5/0, well, maybe....

My favorite "cover all the bases" for whatever size herring I'm using = a 3/0 tied behind a 4/0

Yes, hooks that are tied so you can slide them up and down the leader are dandy for tightening up a plug cut to make it roll better but they're a pain to tie and more importantly, I'm not sure I trust them when fighting bigger springs-- hooks that are tied into the leader sometimes get two different hook sets. A hook that freely slides on a leader will usually get pulled down to the trailing hook during a fight and can put undue stress on the single knot remaining between you and the fish

Just make sure that whatever hooks you end up using, keep them SHARP.

5/0 are the staple with 4/0 being the exception up north, we use north king large 7-9'' herring not little firecrackers, could easily get away with using 6/0 as well. quite a few guys even use a 3 hook setup usually consisting of 5/0 5/0 and a 4 or 3/0 trailer. seems a bit excessive but can be the difference between landing and losing a monster.

Motor mooch with 4oz-6oz bananas. 10-30 pulls.where are you fishing?maybe the beach up in renny in the summer?
Or wait till oct and hit coho shallow.

My absolute favorite way to fish..get a tickle and stream out a pull or two and wait for the turn around attack!

The most satisfying way to fish for large mature Chinook IMHO, i fish them 100 percent of the time during guide season, 75 percent of that time on riggers and 25 percent motor mooching. You will not have an issue running them on your down rigger as long as you have a proper dry brine on them, have kept them sufficiently cold, and always cut an anal vent on your herring when running on the rigger. General rule for hook placement i found worked for myself is to pierce your tow hook through the third rib section on the low side of your cut, and to come up through the back on the high side as close to the opposite side of the spine spine as possible. You can play around with your stinger hook and see what works for you. The fun part about cut plugging is that you could ask 5 different cutpluggers and they would give you 5 different methods of hook placement, so there is always room to pick up new tricks to improve the action of your bait. Once you get it dialed in its hard to go back to anything else in proper situations.

Sure enough, all the experts are weighing in. Lol.

Wtf!? Another thread muddied...

Great way to fish. 6-8 oz cannonball sliding weights. In gear then neutral, u can even back up to the kelp beds if u want. Like it has been said get a bite strip a few pulls off quickly and a lot of the time that fish comes back. Lots of great memories fishing cut plugs in Hakai.

Hey Adanac, so you are piercing through the spine from low to high? I will dry brine and get them good and cardboard like.thanks for the inspiration,i miss running cutplugs.it has taken some time for me to warm to teasers and chovies.

You running inline flasher or clipped above?

Back