Crazy idea

troutstalker

So I had this crazy idea in my head of a 2 week long fishing trip going from nanaimo- port hardy then cruise down the west coast stopping in winter harbour, nootka sound ,barkley sound and all the way back to nanaimo. Basically what I'm looking for is what size of boat would you feel comfortable in doing this with? I'm thinking between 26-30 and if you think this trip would be feasible with weather depending etc. you only live once may as well have a trip of a life time.

do it,, before i bought my boat the owner took it from port orchard to glacier bay.. bucket list trips!!!

26' with a cabin is all ya need.

I'd do it in my 24 ft podded Orca-the only caveat is have an open -ended schedule so you can hole up for bad wx. Also study the Waggoner cruising guide which shows all the safe anchorages, entries to them and any boltholes if you get into trouble.

Wow i think you would have to leave one hold on your boat empty just to pack all the fuel money, My word that Orca is a beautiful boat spring fever! i think it would do it just fine.., i kinda have always like the looks of the Ranger brand of cruising tugs..I think as long as one could install downriggers on it cruising all day would be a treat! would definitely be the way to go on long cruises like that.

Thanks for the compliment on the Orca. Eleventh season on her and she still looks good and performs like new.

A friend's 70 year old father did it solo in a homemade kayak. Seamanship, knowledge, and patience far surpass boat size in importance.

A friend's 70 year old father did it solo in a homemade kayak. Seamanship, knowledge, and patience far surpass boat size in importance.

YUP! I'd rather be in a 16' tinny with a guy who has 40 years experience than a guy in a 30' boat with little to none.

The idea is not crazy...its on my list fishing bucket list....circumnavigate the island and fish the hell out of it as I do! If you do it, please start a thread detailing the experience!

I was in Kyuquot a couple of years back and we made a day excursion up to the southside of the Brooks to explore, fart around and have a BBQ. There was this older guy with a British accent (not sure if he was Canadian or Brit) who walked a kilometer or so down the beach to come for a visit as he was circumventing Van Isle in a Kayak.

We were cooking up quite the meal of a leg of lamb with tons of side dishes and a berry crumble for dessert. He sat with us....enjoyed some vino and mowed down food as I guess his trail rations were getting a bit "old" day after day. We left a ton of food with him and man was he ever gracious and loving us!!!

Back to the question at hand.....I think as others have said for comfort, safety etc mid-20's would be the minimum I would want to look at. Plan your fuel stops....and be careful in some of the areas coming down the outside where it can be tough to run for cover....such as rounding the Brooks among many!

I was in Kyuquot a couple of years back and we made a day excursion up to the southside of the Brooks to explore, fart around and have a BBQ. There was this older guy with a British accent (not sure if he was Canadian or Brit) who walked a kilometer or so down the beach to come for a visit as he was circumventing Van Isle in a Kayak.

We were cooking up quite the meal of a leg of lamb with tons of side dishes and a berry crumble for dessert. He sat with us....enjoyed some vino and mowed down food as I guess his trail rations were getting a bit "old" day after day. We left a ton of food with him and man was he ever gracious and loving us!!!

Back to the question at hand.....I think as others have said for comfort, safety etc mid-20's would be the minimum I would want to look at. Plan your fuel stops....and be careful in some of the areas coming down the outside where it can be tough to run for cover....such as rounding the Brooks among many!
Cape Scott, Brooks Penninsula/Solander Island, and Esperanza are the three reall hot spots for bad weather, strong winds and tides. JDF can also be bad. For boat size - 24 feet and 5000 lbs. displacement would be my minimum for comfort, and sea-worthiness. Most important is reliability, seamanship, and the necessary safety equipment to get you out of any issues. EPIRB and VHF/DSC will handle most communications. Survival (gumby) suit and life raft will take care of the biological. You can never be too prepared.

I commie trolled the north west coast for many yrs.
if its high pressure , get a early start just before dawn , the westerly will come up at noon and down with the sun......normally.
but do yourself a favour and anchor up in shelter sheds on south side of Brookes and run out to Solander Island in morning for some phenome Spring fishing !
but get outta there early too before the wind picks up as its one of the worst blow holes on the coast.
your crazy if you dont do it.
have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Words of wisdom I heard from a guy who grew up in Port Hardy and spent his life on the water:

...."The sea is not a dangerous place..... if you're not in a hurry...."

That has huge implications, especially if you're circumnavigating Van Isle. Finaddict mentioned the weather hotspots. But let's not forget Nahwitti Bar and Tatnall Reefs: good place for the prudent mariner "not to be in a hurry".

Tide and wind are everything. The guy who's not in a hurry can wait for the the most opportune time when those two animals aren't fighting each other

I don't think I can think of a cooler trip to do then boating the entire coast of Van Isle....

Well, maybe just one: Central Coast BC

Last edited by a moderator:

Had to be the same guy. He had a few long waits due to weather.

Back