Crabbing in the Lowermainland

D

Dude

Hey guys me and my buddies got a tiny little boat that we row out on and now we got a crabbing net so we are looking at some good places to throw the crabbing net out. any suggestions?? in the lowermainland pls as we live in richmond. im not talking about 1 or 2 crabs i mean a decent amount to catch just have fun. cast few lines while we are out there [8D]

www.trekpc.ca

"tiny little boat" and crabbing[?]...hhhmmm...well with a small boat you could weave your way through the channels and get out onto Sturgeon Bank from the Middle Arm. Past the south terminal of the airport. You'll see lots of commercial traps there.

Put your traps in 40-50 ft. of water. Heading west toward t10 from there and you could catch salmon. They will be coming in better numbers into August. We've hooked up in as little as 80-100 ft. of water.

It can get pretty sloppy there though as it's shallow off the airport. Just how "tiny" is tiny? What kind of power on it?

Can't say for sure as I've never tried but I've been told there are crab to be had in the South Arm around BC Ferries, Massey Tunnel, Ocean Fish cannery area although I can't imagine numbers would be high. Maybe launch at Deas Park and get across the river there. Possible to catch salmon there tossing spoons just off the beach on Deas Park side. Strong currents in the river as well!

Sorry, just can't get over the "tiny" description. Especially when coupled with "buddies", how many people in the boat? [8]?;) Please be careful.

Forgot to add if you drive to Tsawassen you can launch a small boat easily on south side of causeway and drop traps just as you leave the bay there. Be careful that you're in Canadian water. Watch out for the ferry traffic. There is now a closed area there for the commercial crabbers so you might find more keepers. I don't think it's closed for recreational fishers, check the regs.

Hey thanks for those details!!! my tiny boat i mean tiny as in 7ft i would say!! and 3 of us and motor in it as of yet so we paddle hence why i dont want to get into waters that not be safe. ive thought of the tsawassen as well thats place does produce. we are looking for a used motor just a tinnnny one like 2hp would be fine just so we dont have to motor aroundout budget is about $200 if u know anyone selling :D

www.trekpc.ca

quote:Originally posted by Dude

Hey guys me and my buddies got a tiny little boat that we row out on
Ya....I would be really, really careful in a "tiny" little boat with a few guys and just oars. If you are at the mouth of any of the arms of the Fraser in just a rowboat....be VERY VERY careful. In calm water you "could" row out from Spanish Banks and try off of there. I would be hesitant about going out too far in English Bay unless the weather window was looking good. If the wind is "up" in the Bay you could get swamped easily in a "tiny" little boat.

There is also areas up in Burrard Inlet you could try.

quote:and now we got a crabbing net

Net or trap??

quote:any suggestions?? in the lowermainland pls as we live in richmond. im not talking about 1 or 2 crabs i mean a decent amount to catch just have fun.

Geez...you're not asking for too much are you? There is no bonafide guarantee that you are going to get crabs anywhere; except for a fish store and few seedy bars downtown in Vancouver.

You may "only" get 1 or 2 or none in your traps.....if someone has a honey hole that is coughing up 10-15 crabs in a soaking I kinda doubt they are going to give it up on a wide open forum for anyone who has a computer to read.;)

quote:Originally posted by Dude

Hey thanks for those details!!! my tiny boat i mean tiny as in 7ft i would say!! and 3 of us and motor in it as of yet so we paddle hence why i dont want to get into waters that not be safe.

Uh....ya.....7ft boat with 3 guys; be very, very careful wherever you decide to go. I would stick to the sheltered waters up Burrard Inlet or crab off Spanish Banks early in the morning before the winds blow up. With 3 guys in a 7ft tin boat I wouldn't be venturing too far.

LOL!! im not planning on going out deep. im planning on staying near the shore like realllly close to the shore. anyone sellling a used motor?? just to move around on budget is about $200

www.trekpc.ca

It doesn't matter the depth....and sure you may not drown in 5 feet of water but that is a boat you are just asking for trouble in. [:eek:)]

As I said....if you were going to go anywhere I would stick to the more protected waters up Burrard Inlet past the 2nd narrows bridge.

Along Jericho/Spanish Banks there are crabs in closer as guys chuck their hand traps out off the pier there. But given the fact they won't throw any of them back things may be slim pickings.

I would stay well away from the mouths of the arms of the Fraser unless there is a very protected spot that you can get out in. I don't know the shoreline very well down that way and have never looked at where a boater and 3 buddies could put in a 7' tin boat, paddle out to go crabbing in a spot close to shore that is not going to yield 1 or 2 crabs, but lots and lots of crabs. [:p]

So you are saying you want a spot REALLY close to shore that's going to yield lots of crabs? Not looking for too much eh?? You may want to look down south of Richmond; and watch the tide tables too. [:eek:)]

Good luck "dude". [:p]

Just to edit - I am not trying to be an butt but this is a request that just reeks of running into problems; not to mention you are looking for someone's crabbing area that is going to produce lots of crabs for you close to shore....on the big ole', wide open internet. Wherever you choose to go.....just be careful so we're not hearing about you on the local news. I am 6'3" and just layed down on my floor trying to imagine 3 guys, crap traps, a bucket or two safety gear etc all in a 7' boat. Sorry....I got up sat down in front of my computer and shook my head. Better to try for crayfish in freshwater. ;)

TROLL..................? :(

SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

LOL guys!! why wud i be trolling?? Pippen thanks for your talk i hear you loud and clear man! we are just few guys broke cant afford much and like fishing and crabbing just nothing crazy but we try to stay safe as we can. thanks everyone for the advice. gonna try getting some cash in the near future and get a bigger boat

www.trekpc.ca

Sorry Dude, But 3 guys in a 7 foot boat that seem to be apart of a computer company? We see your link there..Seems a little fishy. 2 guys in a 12 foot boat is enough in it's self. But 3 Guy in a 7 foot boat looking for a hull of crabs. It's just so far from even being a crazy thought.

I don't even think some of the night time poachers in Vancouver would be that stupid.

Hey Pippen-- appreciate you trying to help out, but you REALLY do need some of this stuff for posts like Dudes!!:D

ats57347_258Troll_spray.jpg

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Hey Pippen-- appreciate you trying to help out, but you REALLY do need some of this stuff for posts like Dudes!!:D

ats57347_258Troll_spray.jpg

Ha ha....too true. That's why I was trying to come across a bit brash and not like a total complete dickhead.

I would just like to see this "crabbing operation" in progress; I think it would be pretty comical seeing 3 guys in a tiny boat who from what I gather, have never crabbed before, paddling/rowing out into the chuck to have their own little shot at "The Deadliest Catch". [:p]

Dude....let us know when you're going to try this; whoever wants to head out and witness...I'll buy the beer.

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

Sorry Dude, But 3 guys in a 7 foot boat that seem to be a part of a computer company?

HEYYY....HEYYYY.....HEYYYYY!!!! [:eek:)]

I resemble that part of the statement....I work as Sales Director for a Medical Software/Computer company!! Is it the "computer company" part of dude's posts or the 3 guys in a tiny boat.
the
Dude....is this what we should expect to see? (It was the best image I could find) At the very least....these guys look to be having a good time??? [:p]

2239155826_1af530b39e_o.jpg

HAHA ok ok guys Lets just drop this thread i tried deleting it but i could not seem so find it. I kind of look like idiot now. although thats not what i was attempting at. somone tell me how to delete this thread.

Dude....don't sweat it...we're just having a bit of fun too. "If" you are going to head out....just be careful. [8D]

On a side note....aside from Dude's "3 men in a boat"....anyone know how this one ended up? May be some good points in it for 3 guys in a boat? ;) :D [:p]

26442-large.jpg

Man I was thinking 12 ft. of vessel...not 7...pretty scary stuff.[V]

DO NOT venture to the places I mentioned....PLEASE DO NOT go where I recommended. The memories of those gruesome stories of "3 men in a boat" in the Province would stay with me forever.:(

Wear your PFD's and I hope you are good swimmers. I can appreciate the wanting to do it yourself within the means that you have. Hell I would. I can understand Pippen wanting to help out too. Adventure is just that adventure and experiencing the whole thing is a lot better than just "buying it" at the store which is how our society is set up today. You guys give trap in the lap a whole new meaning. Post up some pictures.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Back