Crabbing and Prawing Fall and Winter 2009

Thanks casper,
I'll do some research and look up the details such as how many traps to a line , how much weight to use, and how much line is needed in between each trap. Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

I did see something on here about using an old scotty downrigger and a small 12 volt winch from canadian tire to make a prawn puller, might be something to look into building this winter.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Geo_tonz.. if you were getting small crabs in your prawn traps, in Baynes Sound other than rock crabs, it is most likely that you were catching Graceful crabs (Cancer gracilis). They do look somewhat similar. If you do get a legal dungeness let me know, they have become an endangered specie in Baynes..[xx(][xx(]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Cuba: looked them up and yep...likely graceful crabs. Didn't know about those and the colouration and general shape said Dungeoness, but weren't so lumpy. Just thought they were younger Dungies! Thanks for the tip as I'd probably set a trap there and wonder at all the undersized critters I brought up!

For anybody interested check out this 'Crabbing for Dummies' page I stumbled over while looking for Graceful pictures:
http://crabbing.tonyjiang.com/index.htm

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

Tried crabbing in menzies bay friday. We only got 2, I am not sure if all the fresh water makes the crabs move but it was slow. Tons of debris in the water everywhere. Have to wait till dec 20th, and will try prawning.

Trailered down to Deep Bay yesterday for our brief break in the weather. Tried a hole there at 300' but no go. Would all the fresh water be pushing them out into the straight or do I just suck?

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

we gave our crab traps some new bait and fished for a couple hours
on Sunday off Oak bay.
we got 5 nice dungeness in one trap, the other one only 50' away
had only rock crabs.
obviously they are area specific.

Well cabin fever has set in for alot of folks on this site including myself. I had to get out and do something. First mate Jake and myself headed out on Saturday for a winter shake down of the Sculpin (haven't had her out since the last of August). A couple of minor problems but mostly she is operational and good to go. We have a recharging alarm going off that has us puzzled as the system is charging no problem but the Honda alarm keeps going off.

Anyways Saturdays outing saw Ice on the Newcastle channel.

CrabbingandPrawing2009001.jpg

We didn't do any fishing this day and was just a shake down so to speak. Here is a shot of Nanaimo that alot of folks might not see everyday.

CrabbingandPrawing2009002.jpg

Sunday we still have the false alarm going but we are good to go. Everything is charging but I put a piece of electrical tape over the alarm to quite it down till I deal with it on Monday.

My not so new prawn puller at work.

CrabbingandPrawing2009003.jpg

CrabbingandPrawing2009007.jpg

He only gets about half way then I have to kick in.

CrabbingandPrawing2009004.jpg

We only did one test soak and weren't going at it very seriously and still managed a couple hundred prawns.

CrabbingandPrawing2009008.jpg

On the way back we pulled the crab pots with the same not so stellar results. This big Red Rocky was the exception today (Jake likes them better than Dungees).

CrabbingandPrawing2009009.jpg

A couple of just over legal Dungees (nothing huge today).

CrabbingandPrawing2009010.jpg

Some of our inspectors

CrabbingandPrawing2009011.jpg

If anyone wants to buy a BC Ferry FWHY the ones on the left are for sale right now

CrabbingandPrawing2009012.jpg

The end result of todays sanity. Fresh crab and prawns with rice and Ceasar salad.

CrabbingandPrawing2009013.jpg

"That's what it's all about" Jake said as he sat down for dinner.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Great post Sculpin!

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Way to go Sculpin-- If we dont get too much wind with the forecasted temperature rise after the snow, I just might get out of Comox to see whats cooking!

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Please clarify for me "they have become an endangered specie in Baynes Sound"? Also,do you have any ideas on returns of Pinks to this area from the Pen rearing site in Deep Bay? Thanks

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Geo_tonz.. if you were getting small crabs in your prawn traps, in Baynes Sound other than rock crabs, it is most likely that you were catching Graceful crabs (Cancer gracilis). They do look somewhat similar. If you do get a legal dungeness let me know, they have become an endangered specie in Baynes..[xx(][xx(]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Sure-- the term "endangered specie" is a bit of artistic licence to high- light the state of the dungeness population in Baynes Sound. It is a small area that has had up to three commercial fishermen and 100 or so sportsfishermen at one time fishing a population that finally rebounded after 40 years of no crabs other than red rocks avaiable. The commercial hit the area with up to 300 traps for a couple of years(give or take) each. All of a sudden there were complaints that legal sized crabs were hard to come by. Still a reasonable showing of females, but few legal males. The local SFAC became alarmed and called for DFO the cut the sport limit by 50% until DFO completed a inventory. This did not happen. We were told that as long as the 6 1/2 in. size limit ( and later a ban on taking female crabs) were in place, there was no conservation concern. But how does a recreational fisherman with two traps compete with a commercial with hundreds of traps? You dont! Then along into the mix comes the Comox First Nation.. and they cant get enought crabs for thier FSC needs........ Can you see the writing on the wall?

Its the allocation problem again. DFO has committed to "crab reform" in both the commercial sector and in the rec sector. The Area 14 SFAC asked for a total commercial closure. What we got was a seasonal commercial closure during the summer. But this falls short of really helping the rec sector much. Unfortunately what has helped move the commercial effort is the better fishing elsewhere out of Baynes Sound. We have to share with Comox First Nation after they have figured how we fit into thier plans.

Hope this info helps. As far as the pink program, I have a bit of info as to returns, but I need to get more before I post.
Cheers

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Thanks so much for the reply, I acknowledge the harvest by rec fishers is minimal, sure is for me anyway. I am still interested in finding out the returns of the net pen reared Pinks to the area,especially where they returned to. Talking with some other locals,we did not see many returning or milling in the harbor area. Just curious. Thx again

Salmonlander-- as far as pinks in the area, Nile Creek got a record return of over 25000 this year. To say the NCES was estatic was an understatement..:D The Fanny Bay Enhancement Soc. observed a "lot" of pinks milling off the creekmouths at Rosewall, Cook Ck etc. The water was so low, for so long, they didnt make it up . The suspicion is that they went looking for creeks with water like the B.Q and Nile (groundwater fed) and that might be why some creeks had lots, and a bunch more, virtually nothing.

Its as good a theory as any other one....[:p]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back