Offshore Fishing 2010

Sculpin

I thought I would start a thread about fishing the banks as I never seem to find the right thread to post up in. We mostly fish the banks off of Ukee but venture up to the Hyson and bomb down to the rat's nose a couple times a year.

If you have any offshore reports or trips post them up:)!

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Went out on Saturday June 5th. Took a friend of mine out for his first trip of the year. We fished the banks off of Long Beach with the troll fleet and a few other sporties. Weather was gorgeous. We limited out in a couple of hours and had a great day on the water:).

Smileys all around!! Fun in the sun.

Picture005-1.jpg

We were using anchovies in charteuse teaser heads and 4" green and nickel coyote's. There was lots of bait around and the fish we caught were literally stuffed with needlefish. Most of the fish were in the mid teens. We released a few shakers and a couple of coho as well.

Picture003-1-1.jpg

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Hey Sculpin

Great pics. I'm heading to Bamfield on Thursday and I'm pretty stoked. How far out where you fishig and what size fish did you catch? If there is a couple of must have lure I should bring please let me know!!

Thanks Alot
JAC

hewesonthefraser.jpg

Hey JAC. We were 3-5 miles out. Most of the fish were in the mid teens. Anchovie, needlefish hootchies (I like the B52 and armytruck), and 4" spoons should work good. Read up on here what others have been using. Good luck.

quote:Originally posted by JAC

Thanks Sculpin

How far out were you guy heading offshore?

hewesonthefraser.jpg

I edited just as you posted:D. 3-5 miles.

I want to know what's happening out further. Should be kicking off. 25-27 mile for hali's and chinook. Anyone been "out there" recently?

Went up to Salmon Beach on Saturday with my son/firstmate, my hunting buddy, and his wife. We saw the low tide on Saturday morn (can't launch at Salmon Beach on real low tide) and didn't leave Nanaimo till 7:00 am. We got on the water around 10:30 so a late start. Lots of decisions to make on where to go. I was planning on heading out to the Big Bank but decided to head over to the banks off Long Beach again due to time constraints etc. Was a good call as there was alot of bait still there. Quite a few boats out and everyone seemed to be catching fish. We were trolling bottom looking for halibut but we picked up a couple of springs in the low teens as bi-catch.

Heading over to Amphitrite Bank. Gorgeous day on the water. Felt like fishing Cali it was so warm out there.

Picture019.jpg

Jake with one on.

Picture009.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

We fished for a couple of hours and decided to make our way back to the South Bank. Nobody out there except one troller (test fishing? or halibut opening?). Had the whole thing to ourselves. Not much showing up on the sounder but down the balls went anyways. Covered the same area where we caught a couple of chickens a couple of weekends ago along a contour line where it drops off fast but stayed just onto the bank.

We picked up 5 more springs, a chicken, and my buddies wife caught this halibut.

img_0070.jpg

It was her first halibut ever!!! She was so happy.

Good fishing, good company, and the look on my buddy's wife's face is why I love fishing the WCVI.

Cheers
Sculpin

Went up to Salmon Beach on Saturday with my son/firstmate, my hunting buddy, and his wife. We saw the low tide on Saturday morn (can't launch at Salmon Beach on real low tide) and didn't leave Nanaimo till 7:00 am. We got on the water around 10:30 so a late start. Lots of decisions to make on where to go. I was planning on heading out to the Big Bank but decided to head over to the banks off Long Beach again due to time constraints etc. Was a good call as there was alot of bait still there. Quite a few boats out and everyone seemed to be catching fish. We were trolling bottom looking for halibut but we picked up a couple of springs in the low teens as bi-catch.

Heading over to Amphitrite Bank. Gorgeous day on the water. Felt like fishing Cali it was so warm out there.

Picture019.jpg

Jake with one on.

Picture009.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

We fished for a couple of hours and decided to make our way back to the South Bank. Nobody out there except one troller (test fishing? or halibut opening?). Had the whole thing to ourselves. Not much showing up on the sounder but down the balls went anyways. Covered the same area where we caught a couple of chickens a couple of weekends ago along a contour line where it drops off fast but stayed just onto the bank.

We picked up 5 more springs, a chicken, and my buddies wife caught this halibut.

img_0070.jpg

It was her first halibut ever!!! She was so happy.

Good fishing, good company, and the look on my buddy's wife's face is why I love fishing the WCVI.

Cheers
Sculpin

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Sounds like a great days fishing! gotta love where we live!

-Steve

It was a great day fishing Steve and we do live in a great place for sure:). I never take it for granted. Thanks for the reply.

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Sounds like a great days fishing! gotta love where we live!

-Steve

It was a great day fishing Steve and we do live in a great place for sure:). I never take it for granted. Thanks for the reply.

Nice Catch Sculpin, Couldnt of asked for better water conditions ........do you own property out at Salmon Beach???

Nice Catch Sculpin, Couldnt of asked for better water conditions ........do you own property out at Salmon Beach???

quote:Originally posted by spillytalker

Was great out there on Saturday and yes I do own a lot at Salmon Beach. No cabin yet but I have a rammer trailer which serves as base camp for now :).

Folks ask me "where is your cabin?". I reply "I'm towing it" (i.e the boat):D.

quote:Originally posted by spillytalker

Was great out there on Saturday and yes I do own a lot at Salmon Beach. No cabin yet but I have a rammer trailer which serves as base camp for now :).

Folks ask me "where is your cabin?". I reply "I'm towing it" (i.e the boat):D.

Tofino time!!!!

At least once or twice a year we fish out of Tofino. Jake and I headed out this morning with Fishtofino for some halibut and springs. Was a great trip as always with Captain Shawn. We love fishing with the guy. Having fun is number one with him. The man knows how to fish.

We went for hali's first and got our limit in about 1/2 hour!

Jake with one on.

Picture020-1.jpg

A bucket of chicken West Coast style!

Picture021.jpg

With the hali's out of the way we started salmon fishing. Couldn't even get the second rod down before the first one hit. Saw lot's of action during the next couple of hours. Quite a few boats out with everyone of them fighting fish. I love it when at any given moment you can look at the pack and see multiple folks hooked up. Good times for sure.

Jake with one.

Picture024.jpg

Myself with one.

Picture026-1.jpg

Most of the fish were in the high teens with some around twenty. Released multiple fish around 10-12 lbs. Pretty much non stop action.

Back at the dock.

Picture028.jpg

The local garburator.

Picture030-1.jpg

On the way home we stopped at the harbour quay. Pretty windy to say the least.

Picture033-1.jpg

Great day all in all. Thanks again Shawn. You are a blast to fish with!

quote:Originally posted by C.S.

Fished Tofino(Portland Pt)thursday,fri,sat.
SLAYED the springs!Lost track of numbers the first couple days then kept track on saterday.Started fishing at 8am and quit when we hit 30 springs at 2pm[:0]
Not any biggys,we killed 6 over 20,biggest was 27.probally 95% clipped fish!

th_P4150080.jpg

Great report C.S.:D Was pretty awesome fishing eh;)! Sounds like a great three days you had. Congrats big time:).

Yeah, it's totally sick [:p]

Hey CS.... what boat were you in?

Man this post makes me want to haul the boat over. A 30 springs morning is awsome.Sister works at weighwest i dont know why i dont live there aswell.

Back