Crabbing and Prawing Fall and Winter 2009

Sculpin

Well the time is coming folks. Let's post up info and reports of our bottom dewellers for folks to read and learn. Spot's tactics etc. I'll be posting up reports as the weeks move on etc.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Good thread Sculpin, I've been crabbing out at Cheanuh marina for quite a few years and I've found that no matter where I put down my trap all I ever get now is female crabs. Use to get a good mix of rock and dungy's both male and female but now its all females. I've gone out with a few friends and we put down a total of three traps and let them soak for about 8 hours when we pulled them we all had over 20 females in each trap and not one male between the 3 of us. Is Cheanuh washed up when it comes to crabbing? We've moved around and have tried different spots around Cheanuh but we always get the same results..... all females. Got to find a new spot to drop the traps.... any ideas??? Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

It's all females and undersize over in Oakbay now as well...
The males will come though, usually mid October they show up again.

Thanks RS, I didn't know the males show up again. Thats great.... I guess I won't have to find a new spot after all.

Anyone on here Prawning out Saanich inlet way? I was out looking for chum's yesterday throughout Satellite channel and Saanich inlet and noticed a S--t pile of Prawn buoys ....just curious how they were making out?

Prawning was good in the inlet on Sunday. Very Good.
Just make sure you remember to toss the egg carrying ones back so that we can keep the stocks up.

Anyone been prawning or crabbing in Baynes Sound (Denman Island) area recently? Inherited some traps and waiting for a free day with decent weather...

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

Was out prawning for the first time in a long time yesterday here on the east side of Quadra.
VERY good haul. Not the largest average size I've seen but plenty of em.
Quite a few egg-carrying Mommas in there, so make sure to put them back.

Whats the deal with Marinas in Cowichan Bay in particular CHERRY POINT MARINA. Are the marinas open to crabbing or shrimping etc or can they prohibit the use[?]

Hey Cedarstrip: south side of Beazley Passage (Surge Narrows) over slack. Can be ridiculous! I've dumped entire traps to keep under the limit. If you see my dad out there you didn't hear it from me!!!

I hear its hot up there as well, but where I go, I could row to it's so close. What I save on fuel I can buy new toys with. Right? :D

quote:Originally posted by geo_tonz

Hey Cedarstrip: south side of Beazley Passage (Surge Narrows) over slack. Can be ridiculous! I've dumped entire traps to keep under the limit. If you see my dad out there you didn't hear it from me!!!

Went crabbing in menzies bay in campbell river and did well, got our limit and was amazed to watch a guy go to pull one of our traps Watch your traps!!!!Next time I am putting small treble hooks on the line and will watch em pull for the entertainment.

Has anyone been having good luck with the crabs in Sooke Basin? How about the shrimp?:)

Has anyone caught any Prawn in the Sooke area or are they mostly in Saanich inlet area? I would like to give it a go, but I have no Idea where to start out in the Sooke area. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this. Thanks

Went out in Baynes Sound yesterday just south of the Buckley bay ferry. Not a stellar catch (1 doz) but the wind was coming up and I decided to pull early, plus forgot my chicken in the freezer (just had a can of Carlyle in each). Two other boats there too but couldn't tell how they did. a bunch of little Dungeoness in my traps...maybe I should be putting my crab trap down there too!

quote:Originally posted by bigmeal

Has anyone caught any Prawn in the Sooke area or are they mostly in Saanich inlet area? I would like to give it a go, but I have no Idea where to start out in the Sooke area. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this. Thanks

There are prawns there. I prawn not that far from Sooke, the catch is keeping your traps where you left them! I put a little bruce anchor on each string between the traps and the float, with 10 feet of chain, and a SMALL float so it won't take off on me. I do quite well, it's nothing compared to Saanich Inlet, but they are bigger, and open all year round. Figure 300-600 pieces per set. Nice and big. Not a lot of pressure, there are me and a couple other guys that do it.

I'm not handing out any of my spots that I fish now, but off William Head, (In between the head and the two hali bumps)and the 27 fathom reef off of Race Rocks has produced for me and some people I know. You really have to watch the tides. I've never prawned the shelf from Beechy to Ironmine Bay, but I'll bet they would be there. You just need some heavy duty hardware, and the ability to bring it up. I used to have the use of an Ace puller, but it really grunted with the little anchor, and the 10 pounds of hermit crabs that tend to fill the traps up in the JDF area. So I bought a homemade puller from someone on this site that will pull the stink out of a fart.

I know they prawn off of Neah Bay, so I'm sure there are some prawny spots around here.

I'd also be inclined to try in 200-250 feet of water between Fraser and the Bedfords, if you look at a chart, there is a little gully there, just off of Smythe Head, and the currents are not that bad in that neck of the woods. Would be a good idea to prospect on days without a lot of current.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Thanks LastChance, that's great info to start me out. I will have to get some heavier gear together and I will put your help to good use.

I've never gone prawning before so I've got a lot to learn before I even try. I don't even have any prawn gear.
quote: I used to have the use of an Ace puller,
Thats probably the way to go but was wondering.... can you pull your trap or traps the same way you would pull an anchor.... with an anchor puller? I have never heard of anyone trying it and think it must be too hard on the gear.... I really don't know.

fish.gif

This spring pulled all my traps with the anchor puller.Only thing you have to watch out for is lots of traps around you.If you can find a spot that there is not to many traps,and you can get a straight pull it works great.

Back