Crab trap theives!

Maybe just venting here but in the last little while I have caught people on two occasions pulling my traps! This never used to seem to be a problem. I usually don't leave my traps in that long because the area I crab is pretty sweet for crabs but recently left my traps in for just over 8 hours and watched two boats pull up and raid my traps. I set before work in the morning ran in went to work and was going to run out after to pull them. I work less than a 1/4 mile from where I usually set and have a prime view of the area. While working I saw it happen both times. A little choked to put it mildly. Luckily the catch at the end of the day was my limit but I still can't believe this is going on. Lucky for me the traps were still there I guess. Both times the boats were local boats so it will be tough to be nice when I run into these folks!

WCA - Where are you at that this is happening? I would be livid. Do you have a pair of high power birnaculours that you can use to see the name of the boat, brand name, or any numbers? If no birnaculours, do you have a high powered rifle? [}:)]

I avoid these thieving bastards in areas known for trap raiders (like Boundry Bay) by attaching my trap lines to a piece of driftwood. Pick a unique piece you can recognize and attach a eye bolt to bottom. Another deterant would be treble hooks embedded in the rope.[:0]

There was somebody in our area pulling/taking others traps last summer.

Something happened and when they came down to the marina the next day their boat was suspended under water by one of their mooring lines. Somehow the bung had come out of their boat. Took them several days to refloat and flush their outboard....

It was a real shame.

PS - the night dives in our area are really beautiful, there is lot's to see and do even when you dive by the piers.

I agree It Hurts. Speaking from experience, don't use the driftwood...
Green Stripes(DFO)will take the trap if they happen upon it. I tried to explain the situation because we were'nt far away. He still siezed
it and said to follow the regs in place.[xx(] The cork/float must be easily read for name and # without pulling it out of the water. His suggestion was to take lots of pics, then Observe,Record and Report. Phone it in!, He said it would help your case if you have a pics of them holding your float,with their 14k or bc# or registered boat name.
The more you know about them the better you have chance of some satisfaction.;)
Ps. no plug removals! it could be the wrong boat or you could be caught....ITs NOT worth it!Don't stoop to being in the same crowd as the thieves.....Remember what goes around ..Comes Around. They'll get
what's coming.

zaconb you can use zink strip to achieve time release where the thickness of the strips determines how long the trap lines stay submerged. This is a lot cheaper.

The only problem with sinking your trap line is that in busy areas, particularly if they are long lining you may end up having your traps get crossed up with someone else’s.

I have to agree that stooping to a lower level than the theives would not sit well with me. What comes around definitely does go around. In todays world confrontation is just not an option. Have to laugh as the dock I work at is full of big burly longshoremen. I guess we have lost our reputation. Years ago nobody would even think to mess around with a full crew of people watching. I guess times and morals are changing but enough negative stuff. Lets go fishing! A funny sidenote is that some years ago as a kid on the sunshine coast I had my traps pulled and the theives left a dozen beer inside the trap as payment. I was about 16 at the time so I was pissed but in a good way.:)

set "bait traps" grab some crappy rope and a crappy float. tie one end of the rope to a large rock and the other end to the float. then put hooks in the trap rope. good for crabbing but too expensive for prawns/ because they would probally cut the rope

the time release trap things are illegal i believe? i thogut i read that somewhere when iwas reading the regs last time

You'd be sittin in jail for some time afterwards as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:In todays world confrontation is just not an option. Have to laugh as the dock I work at is full of big burly longshoremen. I guess we have lost our reputation. Years ago nobody would even think to mess around with a full crew of people watching.

I don't understand this. Why, in today's world is confrontation not an option? If the law-abiding won't confront thieves, why should they hesitate to do their business, even in plain sight of a dock full of people?

Once in a while we get raiders up in our area and if 3 or 4 people catch them at it just to make sure it wasn't just a mistake, we haul haul their traps out to deep water on an out going tide whenever we find them. They don't usually hang around long.

Happens to us all the time out of Pedder. My guide buddy has lost so many traps. I gave him the use of 2 SS traps and he won't use them for fear of theft. I like the bait trap with trebles, probably will try that one!

beer 4 crab no problem, just remember 2 put the beer inside the trap lol

Back