Crab Poachers in Oak Bay

R

reel addiction

Some a$$hole pulled my trap and left the doors open If I catch him he's in big Sh*t. Hali carcass eaten up door open, Im so mad!!!
Leave my trap alone!

hey reel addiction , crab poaching is pretty common in Oak Bay. I don't leave it out overnight anymore.

Be thankful you got your trap back. I made one drop with my new stainless trap and did not get a chance to pick it up. It was weighted with lots of line, so i know it did not float out. Sit on the traps, it seems to be the only thing that works for me.

I can relate to the anger. I lost 2 traps last year near Port Moody. I thought about putting hooks in the line, starting 20 ft below the surface, putting a brick down instead of a trap, setting up my video camera on the shore (3hrs recording time), or just watching with binoclears from a distance. Now if I drop my traps there, I also drop my anchor and fire up the barbeque.

A guy was caught in Cheanuh marina pulling traps, was one of the workers from jenkins marine! just somthing i heard, but boy if its true, id lay a licken on him if i caught him in my traps.

Our traps live in Oak bay most of the year...
use old traps, old floats and the interest is not so great.
I have been poached many times too, i kinda see it as part of the game.
Thieving the trap and all, is pretty crappy :(

It's been happening to my traps as well. Initially I figured it was due to poor crabbing, but time after time, I pull my trap and either the door is open, or it's empty and the bait tray has been eaten.

Maybe we need a "bait car" like program for our traps?

TenMile
<'((((><

another thing you can do to discourage thieves is to use a
commercial type float , carve some numbers on 1 side
and tie off the float with heavy rope through the float knotted at the end, and leave a tag.
Most thieves won't bother with it if they think it's a heavy commercial trap.

Scott, if we arm you with a case of beer and a video camera, maybe you can set up shop for a week at Cattle Point? All-you-can-eat crab too :D

TenMile
<'((((><

I have 5 comercial traps off oak bay as well,40 pounds each and they get pouched on a regular basis. I have even caught the commercial crabber pulling my traps. I am going to put treble hooks in the line to teach them a lesson. Buy your own traps!

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

Scott, if we arm you with a case of beer and a video camera, maybe you can set up shop for a week at Cattle Point? All-you-can-eat crab too :D

TenMile
<'((((><

:D:D:D

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

TenMile
<'((((><

:D:D:D

caddy bay quote:
I have 5 comercial traps off oak bay as well,40 pounds each and they get pouched on a regular basis. I have even caught the commercial crabber pulling my traps. I am going to put treble hooks in the line to teach them a lesson. Buy your own traps!

I hope that you know that recreational anglers are only allowed two traps out at a time

caddy bay quote:

I hope that you know that recreational anglers are only allowed two traps out at a time

Two trips in a row for me... I don't even bother with the traps anymore for fear of what i might do if i did catch someone...:(

Hey try this addicted. Get a waterproof marker and write on a piece of plastic "I am watching you right now a hole" and zapstrap it to your trap. might work.

If anyone knows the wherebouts of two prawn traps off trial island that were "checked" and collected on Saturday may 9 I would appeciate them being returned to me.

I spoke with the lightkeeper @ trial island and she gave me a basic description of the boat. If they are returned to me no questions asked. otherwise I am zoning in on you.

A little off topic but on Saturday on the west/south side of constance i seen a double scotsman set up all alone and it was there again on Monday. Also, close to the yellow racon beacon on the run out there was a scotsman on its own. Anyone else notice these? Someone loose an anchor set up in strong current or commercial sets?

My Father taught me a trick to deter poachers. He would attach his trap line to a log instead of a buoy and he says he never got his traps pilfered after that. After many times of getting my traps poached here in Sooke I may just try that this year [8D]

Back