cowichan

has anybody looked at stoltz and sandy over the weekend? Any chance of getting the boat in and out yet - or still snowed in?

has anybody looked at stoltz and sandy over the weekend? Any chance of getting the boat in and out yet - or still snowed in?

Yeah just drove by there. Still alot of wet slushy foot and a half deep snow. You could probably drag your boat in but it would be a bit of a nightmare.

Yeah just drove by there. Still alot of wet slushy foot and a half deep snow. You could probably drag your boat in but it would be a bit of a nightmare.

Hey guys, I had a key to all the gates up that way when I used to guide. I remember that the gate at Sandy was changed a few seasons ago. Who is keeping the various gates now? At least the parks gates? Same? What about the Fletcher Challenge gate on Skutze road?
I need to round up a few keys. Any ideas or phone numbers. I'll drop the deposits and get things under way for this year.

Thanks,

HL

Thats right. Well as far as the Cowichan goes. A buddy and myself have been pretty exclusive to the Stamp the past 5 years. The jet boat thing and numbers of fish have really led us to leave our faithful Cowichan. I am wanting to get the driftboat dusted off however and maybe drift the mid section. It was always a nice short run that you could really cover. The bottom from sandy to black bridge is a bear. So much water to drift over that you have to really boogie in order to get to the end of the drift before dark.

You gonna get up that way?

slightly off topic, but have any of you river guys noticed if the lake is iced over or not? Local lakes here still have a layer, so I hoped to find some open water down there. :)

quote:Originally posted by tayleoscar

have you tryed drifting from vimy to black bridge?

Dozens of times. The problem is that there is nicer water above and the take out at Vimy sucks!, so I just do the long haul.
Actually the drift from the wier down to Skutze is a long haul as well. It's alot of fun though because there never seems to be any one on that stretch and the fishing always seems to be more of a mixed bag because of all the trout up there.

i like to hike in above skutz falls some times for a change on scenary, i seem to get lots of browns while steelhead fishing up there

anybody drift from stolz to sandy - is it passable? Any Snow?

I'm thinking there has to be a few fish in there now.

Ya Poppa wondering the samething. Heard there was lots of snow still and Vimy was blocked by snow. Might just have to go have a look.

Tournament Proven !

Stoltz is covered in snow but well tracked. Stoltz to Vimy was slow.Most spots were already fished mind you.Vimy is doable but sketchy.

good tires and four wheel drive are still needed to launch. It's pretty tough to turn your truck around inside the gate at stoltz. Vimy is also covered in snow but there is a patch of pavement melted away down the right side of the hill. It's about a foot and a half wide.

Back