Cowichan River

Chromer on the Cow yesterday. Spoon. Water in in excellent shape, great colour and good vis... clear but not too clear. Cool day, light drizzle at times. Had to work hard for a fish, but saved the day right at the end. Even sweeter!

Too bad this river is so screwed up. It looks like it should be teeming with fish. Sad.

FIshed 5 0f last 6 days. 2 yesterday.11's. Bear Creek, and just above 70 mile Trestle. Blue and orange Intruders. Got 2 on Monday on the way back from Vic. 1 in Muir creek, and a 19lber. from Loss Creek. Big Stoneflies. Followed by bears yesterday. Didn't feel safe. Be careful!

quote:Originally posted by Big Dave

FIshed 5 0f last 6 days. 2 yesterday.11's. Bear Creek, and just above 70 mile Trestle. Blue and orange Intruders. Got 2 on Monday on the way back from Vic. 1 in Muir creek, and a 19lber. from Loss Creek. Big Stoneflies. Followed by bears yesterday. Didn't feel safe. Be careful!

Loss creek?! you mean the one by Renny with the 40 ft waterfall into the ocean? :D must have been a hot fish!

Is tugwell creek anywhere near rubntug bluffs?

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

wow Big Dave I am surprised at your attitude...at least all the mistakes I have made in the past I apologised for and for you to try to berate me....well, I am so embarrassed....[:eek:)] I am sure we will run into each other at the local tackle store...ps . I and or WE would all love to see those steel slabs your pounding and realeasing with your gaff??? But I would think that the expert fisher that you have turned out to be would have learned how to handle fish with your hands properly by now....[^] By the way I was sure you said you have a camera you take allong with you as I am sure you have been asked where the pictures are,,,well Big Dave if I caught all that steel I would be so proud and would have to show all....but I guess your just a modest fisher....[?]
So I hear theres a great steel river up island near Goatshead do you know how to get there?

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

U walk on the river with a gaff? Wow!! Thats the ultimate c&r.....Why didnt we think of that?......Oh ya thats a huge noob manuver:D

Pass the Pack

you apologised Hootey? Most honest people didn't think you did anything wrong. My "gaff" only touches the line and the hook. How many of your picture fish survive after you play out, land, handle and picture a fish. They're already exhausted. I'm 56. Caught my first fish at 3. Noob? Come and see me so I can laugh at you. To your face. I'm not even new to this site. I stopped looking because of the cruel crap you aimed at others. Grow up.

Sorry Big Dave, I wasn't trying to start a flame fest... I just know that area very well, you must be confusing Loss with another WC creek. I have hiked to the estuary and Loss has a high, impassable waterfall where it pours into the ocean. It has never held steelhead, in fact it is known for it's genetically isolated population of stunted cutthroats. A 5 year old fish is 10" long. These fish have evolved because there is no access to the ocean.
Cheers,
BL

I was going to say, isn't there a big waterfall at the end of Loss creek- thats one BIG landlocked rainbow;)
Know of any more tiny, nearly extinct systems that are trying to make a comeback that you'd like to name on here? Why? Do you feel knowledgable?
Lets use a little discretion on naming tiny streams that COULD hold a steelhead- not that I beleive you actually caught any.
Besides you missed the best steelhead "river" out this way..the Notella and Im going to hit it up right now.But dont bother looking it up- theres a gaff ban in place:D

[^]

wow was it derby day on the cowie ? What the hell, was at the put in in the dark an was 4 boat to launch, is it really good to fish steelies in the dark?
Im going for the 10 am launch for the rest of the year!

quote:Originally posted by reel addiction

wow was it derby day on the cowie ? What the hell, was at the put in in the dark an was 4 boat to launch, is it really good to fish steelies in the dark?
Im going for the 10 am launch for the rest of the year!

Oh really? What do you know! maybe there is a few boats drifting the Cowie... just out of curiosity, how many boats did you see drifting the Cow today?
[:I]

Scrap the Rat Race, leap frog show on the Cowwy. Launch at 10-11am and mop em up, the good bites usually late morning early afternoon anyways;)

Pass the Pack

heard the stamp is on fire maybe you should go up there!LOL

Back