Comox Harbour 2013

Trolled through harbour on our way out today. Picked up a pink around P54. Once we got out to the black and yellow marker picked up and ran to Kitty. Small hatchery coho and lost a roughly 12 pound spring beside the boat. Had to be in early :(

Well i fished the cardinal bouy until the wind and thunderstorm became too much. Super foggy until the wind picked up. Pretty scary fishing during a lightning storm. The rods were buzzing from some kind of charge. I could feel a charge in the air. My hair would stand up before the lightning. Really cool out there. Visibility was amost zero No fish.

Chum?? Haven't fished local waters much so this might seem like a dumb question. Is there any kind of a chum fishery in the Comox/Kitty Coleman area - and if so, when does it typically happen?

Hey Bruce: There is quite a strong commercial fishery that happens in Oct. Nov. for chums. I have not pursued it myself but have wondered for years if it could be viable rec fishery. Have any other locals gave it a shot?;) eman

Interesting, eman. I understand chums are good for smoking - and they are kind of fun to catch. Other input on this would be much appreciated.

Interesting, eman. I understand chums are good for smoking - and they are kind of fun to catch. Other input on this would be much appreciated.

Kind of fun? Oh ya...some hit and then sound just like a nice spring. And when you find them you can get 3 or 4 on at once. I've only fished them in the salt up Discovery passage and in Johnstone Strait

Browns Bay is the place you want to fish for them in the salt.
Puntledge River for the ones coming in on a high tide.
Tried to get them in Comox Harbour a few times with no success.
Not saying it cant be done but you would have to make up some new tactics to get them to bite.
Would be interesting to try a few new things but will leave that for now.

I've had some success out in front of point holmes, generally waiting until you see the nets show up, then head out trolling amongst them. Just leave enough room to keep everyone happy!

I've had little success with chum south of Brown's Bay. Been out there while they are flop-jumping all around but have never had one bite. All chum to the smoker!

Dont know about chum in the harbour yet. I fished the cardinal bouy from 1-5.
Lots of coho. Caught our limit and got blown off the water. Nice size. 5-7 pound chromers. Lots of action on the sounder. Fished deep for them.used spoons no flash.

I will be out later this afternoon, launching from Pt Holmes and intend to fish the bouy areas.

Have fun and play safe ot there!

It was a good few hours of fishing this afternoon and evening. Weather was great, caught and released 5 nice size cohos. One which was over 12 lbs and developing a very pronounced hooked jaw. Lots of big fish jumping all around the cardinal bouy. To bad the weather is turning for the weekend.

Back